if you could change 5 things in the d/20 system.

All the other campaigns crammed into one.
grey
King of the hill
King of the hill

if you could change 5 things in the d/20 system.

Postby grey » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:11 pm

what would they be?

damage output by rolling dice. takes up way to much time to calculate a variable by counting. a multiplier should be used instead.

saving throw system. dying from a 1 suxxx

2 things i could think of off hand.

anyong else?
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts, Study hard be evil.
Nobody's perfect... well, there was this one guy, but we killed him.

Living City Forums
webmaster@livingcity.net aka Albert

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:18 pm

Well hold on, lets set some ground rules.. Only cover the core books, PHB, DMG, MM...

And if someone brings up a subject, you can't bring up the same one... I have three that come to mind off the top of my head.

1) All melee manuvers should use the same mechanic... BAB+Strength (or Dex) with a static (+4?) bonus for size diffrence. (talking about trip, disarm, bullrush, sunder, and grapple)

2) Fighters need to be buffed up somehow, right now no-one takes more then 2 levels worth, and I don't think extra feats per level is the answer.

3) Muti-Classing with spellcasting classes sucks right now, maybe they should do something that a characters spell casting level is a min of 1/2+1 the characters total level?
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:07 pm

1. make power attack cost more feats. each +5 cost a feat

2. make Full Plate or better armor less advantageous I mean come on there has to be some penalty for running around in full plate all day. Full plate should be used when you know you are going into battle not travelling! Players should get fatigued or something. I doubt a medieval knight that had to travel from Paris is to Rome wore full plate the whole time. He probably had chain-mail on for the trip. The majority of the armored players wear full plate. Lets make that a little less attractive. I am all for making heavy armor cost extra feats to offset the high armor advantage.

3. A character can't have more then 3 classes/prc classes.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:14 pm

1. Damage System Overhaul

"Use the Battletech System of damage and point assignment. It's easy to use, cinematic, and does not consume too much time.

2. Tactical Maneuvers

"Been around since the battlemat was needed. DnD is a tactical game, you shouldn't be removing it just because it is complicated. Facing was a crucial aspect of the game that was removed because it was too hard for some people to understand. Bring it back and get back to tactical maneuvers, it made the game so much better.

3. Rigid Conformity

"The IRON HAND approach of the RPGA with regards to Living Greyhawk and the other systems (with the exception of Living City) is a death curse to any game Wizard's lays out. If LFR goes the same wasy as LG and they don't incorporate the Living City model I will guarentee you the game will suck. And not just suck a little, but big time suck like Nice on Rene's salty balls suck."

4. Campaign Leadership

"4.0 is only going to survie if LFR surives. And if we allow certain people from the LG system to work within LFR the game is screwed from the beginning. We need a fresh start with innovative people, those with dedication and won't give excuses when sh*t isn't turned in on time or things just don't make it to the conventions. That crap won't fly here, it doesn't fly with me and it won't fly with the players..."

5. WHAT THE f*ck?

"Why drop the base races like that, it flies in the face of the Forgotten Realms, why is Halaster dead? Why does Undermountain SUCK SO MUCH ASS? Why is Waterdeep so lame and a pale shadow of its former self? Why did Wizard's f*ck Up the game? Why does the new Monster Manual suck more than 3.0 and 3.5? Why do the game designers not listen to the people who are going to end up bying the book? Why are campaigns like Living Arcanis and Blackmoor so popular and Living Greyhawk getting its ass kicked? Why are flexible campaigns tearing up the landscape? Why did Blackmoor outperform Living Arcanis, Witch Hunter and Living Greyhawk combined at DragonCon? Why does Arcanis kick so much ass at Origins? Why do Living Arcanis and Blackmoor battle interactives not suck? Why, why; why?"
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:21 pm

Ozymandius wrote:1. Damage System Overhaul.....

Ummm read the start of this topic.. its what would you do to change 3.5

this is not about 4e
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:52 pm

Uh, that's what I'd do.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:40 pm

Ozymandius wrote:Uh, that's what I'd do.

No,

two parts of your post where about living campigns or FR, which in all reality has nothing to do with the system it self. We are talking about what would you change in the game system....
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:05 am

1) Take away the vampires level-draining slam attack. I know that's pretty specific, but goddamn, that's something that really chaps my ass. What kind of sense does it make to have vampires who can literally bitchslap the levels out of you? I have never understood that. I hoped when D20 Modern came out, that it'd have more sensible vampires. But nope, there it was, the vampire who can bitchslap you so hard that you forget that you're a 6th-level Fighter.

2) More Feats would be nice. The Fighter is drowning in Feats he'll never need, while every other class is trying to make ends meet with the pathetic amount of Feats that they get. I'd prefer a Feat every odd level instead of every three levels (4E seems to be solving this, though. A Feat every odd level AND a Feat every three levels).

3) Eliminate the Monk and Paladin multiclassing restrictions. I remember reading the playtest reports for 3E, and how those multiclassing restrictions got put in because ONE playtester suggested it. From that moment on, I've wanted to track down that player and throttle him. I hoped beyond hope that 3.5 would eliminate those stupid restrictions, but nope, there they were, again. Hopefully we'll see the backside of those restrictions when 4E comes around.

4) Speaking of Paladins, I hate the abilities that Paladins get that make them Cleric-lite. Paladin spellcasting, for one. Unless you throw in spells from later supplements, the Paladin's spellcasting ability is utter crap. There's only one or two good spells in there. Turn Undead is another dog. Three levels worse then a Cleric? Horrid, horrid ideas. What I do like, though, are abilities like Smite Evil. Divine Might and Divine Shield are great Feats, and frankly, should be built-in Paladin abilities. The Paladin should be about someone who wields divine power and can channel it into numerous effects. Healing and curing disease, bringing down divine retribution on his opponents, using divine power to protect himself, etc. The Paladin, however, shouldn't be about half-assing the Cleric's job.

Oh yeah, and same goes for the Ranger and his spell list. I'd rather he get some nature related divine abilities instead of spellcasting.

5) Last but not least, I'd like to see the elimination of racial penalties. Give Half-Orcs +2 Str, Elves +2, Dex Dwarves +2 Con, etc. I hate how good character ideas are closed off because the character race has to eat certain penalties, gimping some race/class combos. Half-Orcs are especially bad in that regard. They don't have a whole lot of options thanks to their -2 Int and -2 Cha penalties. MUST every single Half-Orc be a blithering idiot and an anti-social ass? And regular Orcs are even worse off, with a -2 penalty to Wis in additon to everything else. That means that you're seriously hindered if you want to play an Orc Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, or Wizard. That's eight classes you're automatically gimped in if you choose them. The Half-Orc's options are better, but not by much.

Return to “Misc Games & Campaigns”