The Summoning 2006

Get up to date roleplaying news. Or post roleplaying news.

Moderator: grey

chainsaw_derelct
I have no life
I have no life

Postby chainsaw_derelct » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:07 am

Guys, guys, guys... No one is ranting here... I just want to get my game on. Nothing more, nothing less.

Can we stop the impulsive muck-flinging due to the rampant sarcasm being flung back and forth, please??? :|

1. No one is calling anyone out on anything. All comments are solely based on past experiences.
2. I've never said anything negative about the con or the organizers that I wouldn't say about myself (see previous post about me being summoned by the 4th level Cleric).
3. All I want is a game, any game. Not politics. Not shennannigans & name-calling, and most certainly NOT a philisophical debate about d20 vs. everything else.

Let's roll the dice and get this con going!
New bit of aether & fluff @
The Maiden's Head

Jarad

Re: That was uncalled for...

Postby Jarad » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:50 am

thetrickygnome wrote:So I read about how SUPPOSEDLY the con organizers of the
Summoning are snubbing non-RPGA games or giving negative
response to those who want to put on non-RPGA games and it
makes my stomach turn with revulsion, mainly because it is not
true at all.

[snip]

So for you to make a derrogatory, sarcasm-ladden comment such as
you did and assuming we don't care about or want non-RPGA games
at the Summoning is offensive to us. If we have the space and people
are willing to come to play these alternative games, many of which I
carry a nostalgic fondness for in my heart, then by all means we would
do our best to welcome you and these players to the event. However,
it seems to me that you are bent of slamming and locking a door that
wasn't closed to you to begin with.

And Jared was correct about the last LARP at the Summoning which is
a shame. He is by far, one of the finest writers I've ever had the
pleasure to read and has always been kind and personable to me. This
is one of the reasons we insisted on not having the event at the school.
Much of what gaming is about is adult oriented themes and a LARP in
regards to werewlves and vampires certainly needs to be done without
being forced to wear the thick kid gloves.

[snip]
Signed- Rene' Alfonso
Assitant Organizer for the Summoning 2006

Thanks for the kind comments, Rene. You are always a gentleman.
If Rainier (Chainsaw) will permit me to speak for him (and we've spoken a bit about this in the past), I think his sarcasm is due to frustration. Rainier has helped me put together events in the past and has even organized his own events. Lately, he has been hell-bent on organizing something through the Circle / Summoning and I have been trying to gently dissuade him from doing so, because I don't think he's going to be able to run the sort of games he wants to through this organization. Still, he keeps trying. Whether he (and I, in the past) have remained persistent in the face of almost zero turnout due to mixed signals coming from the Circle or because we're just pig-headed is debatable.
I was profoundly disappointed by last year's turnout for the LARP, mostly because (again) members of the Summoning staff had seemed so enthusiastic about it. Max (who was once a big part of the Circle) busted his ass to get things in order, and both Adolfo and PJ showed up and played with extreme enthusiasm. I was just hoping that more of the Live-Action community could have made an appearance. A couple did, but most of the people I contacted about it (both those in Miami and in other parts of Florida) seemed disinterested in paying to play (most LARPs are free) or actively hostile to the idea.
I really didn't expect anyone to respond to anything I had to say here, so I guess Rainier's comments were good in that respect. If anyone has any ideas on how to attract non-RPGA or non-D&D players to this Con, I'm ALL EARS. Because I tried everything I could think of, including having Rainier design some colorful event flyers that I put up in stores and hitting about a dozen different LARP message boards, from the Keys to Jacksonville, and I got nada from that.
So: if the Summoning is serious about attracting a larger group of gamers beyond the usual RPGA crowd, let's have a pow-wow about how to do that. If nobody cares enough to comment or respond, we can consider the matter settled and go our separate ways.

-Jarad

Jarad

Advertising

Postby Jarad » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:14 pm

One suggestion, guys...
Wherever you hold the Con, PUT UP SIGNS. I'm not trying to criticize the Convention organizers here- this was their first Con, and they had a lot on their plate.
For walk-in players, there was almost no way for them to find the Con last year, even before you moved it. I remember running into a kid in medieval costume in the hotel room lobby on Saturday who was desperately trying to find someone attached to the Con so he could get to his event.
Perhaps here- or on the Summoning yahoo group- would be a good place to review what was done to advertise and recruit for the Con last year and figure out how things could be improved. Opening it up to a public forum isn't like ceding control of the process; it'll give other people the opportunity to provide input or volunteer their services.

grey
King of the hill
King of the hill

Postby grey » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:23 pm

See here's the problem. gamers in miami are clique-ish.
and getting them to try new games is hard because we work so damm much or are doing other things and don't have the time to organize/play new games.

if we really want to have new types of games introduced we need to start a gaming club from the ground up dedicated to solely runing the game we wish to showcase.
from there when that small game community is established we can integrate it into the summoning with more success.
when people see other people having fun there will be more intermingling and new people will enjoy playing other games.

unfortunately the summoning isn't on the par with the major cons when it comes to drawing power. we have a few years to go still before we can even come close to a megacon and even further away from dragoncon status. It's going to take us some time to get there but I think that it's a learning experience and we are going to break some eggs in the process.

And another thing. I know that we are all on the same side. And that side is promoting games here in miami. So lets not get upset with each other.
except of course we can all be mad at Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,. :|]
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts, Study hard be evil.
Nobody's perfect... well, there was this one guy, but we killed him.

Living City Forums
webmaster@livingcity.net aka Albert

chainsaw_derelct
I have no life
I have no life

Postby chainsaw_derelct » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:42 pm

grey wrote:See here's the problem. gamers in miami are clique-ish.
and getting them to try new games is hard because we work so damm much or are doing other things and don't have the time to organize/play new games.

Most gamers are clique-ish. I've played in games here and abroad, and I can attest to this first-hand.

From my past experiences, we can integrate the RPGA into a club environment. I've seen it, I've done it. I've helped run several successful cons. Granted, they were all not in Florida. But I've done it.

This year, Shadow-Con II (the event I initially helped bring) was an outstanding success for the gaming club I am/was an active part of in London. This year, they had turn out of around 75-100 people. In the first iteration, we had around 10 people. This same group, has run successful events at GenCon Europe since 2001, the first 3 years with some help and planning from me. They've grown from a club of 5-10 regulars to being a club of around 15-20 regulars in that same time. Again, with a little foresight and planning we did this all. What does this mean for you all here on Livingcity.net, nothing. I'm just a lone voice in the aethers of space. No point in listening to me.

Don't believe me? Take a look at http://www.shadow-warriors.co.uk and see. It's all there.
The Maiden's Head

chainsaw_derelct
I have no life
I have no life

Postby chainsaw_derelct » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:58 am

grey wrote:if we really want to have new types of games introduced we need to start a gaming club from the ground up dedicated to solely runing the game we wish to showcase.

In search of...
Founding members for the Miami Dice Gamers Association. We'll meet monthly to game and have some fun. First meeting will be the 14th of Oct @ my place. 'Nosh to be provided by me. Game to be run will be using the Classic Marvel system and run in the current Civil War story arc.

Please rsvp on http://gaming.por-la-madruga.com and also drop me a line to let me know what type of character you would prefer to play.
The Maiden's Head

Jarad

Party!

Postby Jarad » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:42 pm

chainsaw_derelct wrote:
grey wrote:if we really want to have new types of games introduced we need to start a gaming club from the ground up dedicated to solely runing the game we wish to showcase.

In search of...
Founding members for the Miami Dice Gamers Association. We'll meet monthly to game and have some fun. First meeting will be the 14th of Oct @ my place. 'Nosh to be provided by me. Game to be run will be using the Classic Marvel system and run in the current Civil War story arc.

Please rsvp on http://gaming.por-la-madruga.com and also drop me a line to let me know what type of character you would prefer to play.

Woo-hoo! Party at Rainier's house!
I'll spread the word on myspace and through email...
I'll try to make it down too. If we have too many players for the Marvel game, I'll start a second group and run a Deadlands scenario.

chainsaw_derelct
I have no life
I have no life

Re: Party!

Postby chainsaw_derelct » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:43 pm

Jarad wrote:Woo-hoo! Party at Rainier's house!
I'll spread the word on myspace and through email...
I'll try to make it down too. If we have too many players for the Marvel game, I'll start a second group and run a Deadlands scenario.

Sounds good. If we get too many people though, this may turn into our first event (Backyard Con anyone?!?!?). WOO-HOO!!!!!

Also, I plan on having on hand the majority of the books for those that want to catch up on the story arc. Hopefully we can get some response from those here on the board. I would really love to include some of the Summoning Con organizers (**hint** **hint**) and volunteer what I can of my time to help out with the Con and planning of future events.

FYI = I'm a project manager by trade, so planning & implementation are in the genes...
The Maiden's Head

Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Postby Dwraith » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:25 pm

Yeah, that is something that we could do for getting the word out. Myspace! Almost everybody(and there Mother) is on myspace. You could also easly make a group there and get people informed.
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

Jarad

MySpace Group

Postby Jarad » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:07 am

Dwraith wrote:Yeah, that is something that we could do for getting the word out. Myspace! Almost everybody(and there Mother) is on myspace. You could also easly make a group there and get people informed.

I'm not sure how effective starting a new group would be without some sort of plan to back it up. I'm part of a dozen or so groups with scores of members that no one checks and no one posts on.

Perhaps if the first meeting of this thing is a success, then we can set up a myspace group and start trying to recruit people to attend the next one.

Unless that was a hint that the people on http://www.livingcity.net would prefer that we advertise on a myspace group rather than here. Then we can just send messages back and forth to each other Rainier, bemoaning the fact that no one else is showing up, and these guys can get back to planning their convention :).

lostpike
I really like Roleplaying
I really like Roleplaying

Postby lostpike » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:06 am

Just remember that this isnt the only board and place that miami gamers post at any more. There are a few others with totally distinct players. Dont just rely on us.
"At the end of the day, Brandobaris smiles largest at the halfling with
the wildest tales."

chainsaw_derelct
I have no life
I have no life

Postby chainsaw_derelct » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:50 am

MorganWolf wrote:it wasn't that we were ignoring you or anyone else, but when insults are thrown we don't take kindly to that. Please curb that and send us an email on your requests. morganwf@bellsouth.net (the balls in your court now!!!)

So what would you consider normal turnaround time for acknowledging an item submitted to run? As it's going on 4 days and as always, no feedback on the e-mail request I've sent.

No one ever said I was being insulting. The current lack of response after the initial firebrand attacks leads me to believe there are other priorities...

The ball is STILL in your court.
The Maiden's Head

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: The Summoning 2006

Postby Peewee » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:52 pm

AnnaS1989 wrote:I know. The last time I took it I got roleplaying somewhere in the 80s, and most of those scores were higher. But, uh, maybe it doesnt mean I scored low, but that Im actually growing up and away from MUDding?

?
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Roleplaying News”