Episode Summary: Cheat the Devil...Take His Gold

It has happened before. A star from the heavens lances down upon an unsuspecting world, devastating and destroying in a storm of fire and ash, making oceans from mountains and graveyards from nations. Today, this event is remembered not for its violent destruction, but for the thousand years of darkness it created—darkness both metaphorical in the descent to barbarism and physical in the blotting out of the sun from the smoke and ash that blanketed Golarion. It was the end of the Azlanti race, yet it was the genesis of another. For as the proud Azlant fell, new eyes devoid of color and kindness opened in the deep caverns of the Darklands. And as this new race prospered deep below, its number swelling in secret, the seeds for a Second Darkness took root.

Moderators: Ozymandius, Thanos

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Episode Summary: Cheat the Devil...Take His Gold

Postby Ozymandius » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:28 am

Episode 1: Cheat the Devil...Take His Gold!

With all of the characters finding themselves in the city of Riddleport with their their own distinct needs and ambitions they all found their way to the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall where they participated in the "Cheat the Devil...Take His Gold!" gambling tournament. Only two of these adventurers were brave enough to put up the stakes required to participate, even though one technically "forged" his way in, they both made it to the final level of Hell where they fought the Devil himself for their immortal soul...and 10,000 silver pieces.

But as the tournament drew to a close they found themselves in the middle of a heist designed to steal the tournament money by a riley group led by a low-level wizard and his female companion a minor bard along with their thuggish friends. As the chaos ensued they quickly stepped up to stop the theives from escaping with the chest full of silver and managed to earn the attention of the owner of the establishment: Saul Vancaskerkin.

Saul offered them a deal, mainly since most of his staff quit immediately after the heist, to become partners with him in the gambling hall and earn their share of the profits. A steady job with steady pay, what could be better for those newly arrived in Riddleport?

They soon learned that their boss was one of eight crimelords who ruled Riddleport under the authority of the Overlord but that even though he had status within the city's ruling elite, he had even more enemies than he had friends. His main opponent, Clegg Zincher was responsible for his fall from grace, his current destitute position and the loss of his left hand.

But the adventurers soon learned that working for Saul was certainly going to be an interesting task as they investigated the dissapearance of their floor manager, Feldin Harur. They found him murdered in a loan shark's home, who Saul owed money to, and an investigation for the killer and the gold ensued. With many red herrings and carefully crafted dead ends by their prey they were eventually attacked by a group of were-tigers who were part of Ziaphras' Bastards, a were gang. They defeated their attackers and found their target working in the city's shipyards.

But oh what a turn. The man they though was their target turned out to be innocent...but his twin brother was not. They found tickets pointing to Cleg Zincher's arena and were denied entrance unless they paid a "discount" ticket price or fought in the arena's matches, a to-the-death match. And they prevailed.

Once inside the arena they confronted Mark Abbott and Lymas Smeed, who was unaware of his colleagues actions. They quickly took down Abbott with some difficulty and pinned him to the floor but not before Lymas took his own revenge on the man. He took him away to "question" him and was able to retrieve their loan payment and clear his own name.

But while all this was occuring they also hired a new staff member, Samaritha, who the adventurers believe is a spy or some sort of person to be watched. Why? Because she is too nice. She came to Riddleport to study under a Cyphermage but no one would take her as their apprentice and she was forced to look for work or return home. She finds some of the adventurers interesting in their professions and appearance, and feels that some of them are much more appealing than others as a possible "friend."
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Re: Episode Summary: Cheat the Devil...Take His Gold

Postby Thanos » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Great job on the first game PJ. I like the story so far. It is allowing us to learn riddleport without getting too heavy into the plot yet. Which is good since we are low level. I assume the story will slowly reveal the true threat. The murder mystery was good and had lots of role-playing and twists. I would have done the contest if I was any class but a paladin. I hired the crazy chix so she can't be all that bad :).

Looks like we will have 8 to 10 people. I think 8 is a solid table.

looking forward to the next time we meet.

Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Re: Episode Summary: Cheat the Devil...Take His Gold

Postby Dwraith » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:30 pm

i will be there for this weekend game.
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

Return to “Second Darkness”