Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Ruling on the "play play play" rule

Postby Dwraith » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:07 pm

From the 2.1 thread on the Piazo messageboards

Joshua ruling..
In this specific instance, the tier rules trump the "play play play" rule. Allowing a PC to play up two tiers and then continuing to allow him to do so for the life of his character, would cause that PC to be unfairly well above other PCs of his level with regard to wealth and gear. You can play up one tier if it's the only way to make a legal table but playing up two or more tiers is never allowed.

If he's really that far behind the other players, the other players should consider making new level 1s and leveling up with their friend instead.

If he's already got a level-appropriate character with the group, then he should play that character.
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: Ruling on the "play play play" rule

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:39 am

Well that settles it Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,.

We need to implement what we discussed in the car with Richard on Monday night.

With this there is no other alternative to fixing the problem and we'll need to have a rotating core of characters within one level of each other (i.e. 1, 3, 5, 7) if we're going to continue to provide tables down here. We need to skip to Season 2, rebuild the base characters (level the other people with lower ones) and then move back into the higher level tiers.

Paizo sure knows how to kill the fun. Until they get some challenging tier-specific modules life is going to suck until Level 7.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

thetrickygnome
Slave to this message board
Slave to this message board

Postby thetrickygnome » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:36 am

PJ makes a good point here but I'll take it one step further. Not only would it behoove us to make sure that
the players that are with us on a consistent basis have PCs of varying levels to be able to avoid the skewed
levels within a given party (and not break any rules) but we also need to make sure that we encourage people
to diversify the types of characters we play. Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, and I were talking on the phone yesterday about this and
we both noted the lack of paladins and wizards in our local play. We have 1 or 2 but other than that we are
sorely lacking arcane firepower (and no, my bard is not "arcane firepower" - he's just "smooth..."). While we
should never force anyone to play a character class I think we need to take it upon ourselves to look at what
we have available and fill some gaps. One thing I did notice is we have an abundance of clerics most of the
time (which is not a bad thing) but most Pathfinder mods (aside from this last one and maybe 1 or 2 others)
have not been terribly difficult. I remember the old days of LG when the Patriots of Ulek would hit a table
with a balanced party and smoke the mods (the look on the face of the Verbobonc Triad as we ssytematically
devastated his mod was priceless). If we could bring that to Pathfinder I think it would be awesome.

Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Postby Dwraith » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:24 pm

All ready built a wizard for low level play that i am going to be leveling since my monk is now 6th...
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

MorganWolf
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby MorganWolf » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:04 pm

I have my 3rd level wizard already for mods.

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 am

I have a 2nd level sauceror

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:04 pm

Yeah, I already have my Eldritch Knight in the works. It is the SAME BUILD as my LG character and is not GP intensive so I'm going to get to rock the box again.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:32 pm

teknoblade
I really like Roleplaying
I really like Roleplaying

Postby teknoblade » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Awsome... I think I will enjoy DM now...

Return to “Pathfinder”