pfs# 15 Asmodeus Mirage - Paizo reviews/comments about it!!

The new (and improved) 3.5....
Its time to get our game on.

Moderators: MorganWolf, grey, Peewee

teknoblade
I really like Roleplaying

Re: pfs# 15 Asmodeus Mirage - Paizo reviews/comments about it!!

Postby teknoblade » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:43 pm

thetrickygnome wrote:The orcs had an intelligence of 8, more than enough to adjudicate attacking the potion which IMHO falls in the
realm of "common sense". Secondly, it's the DMs decision to be merciful or not at a table. There are two
situations that I don't use the "mercy rule" - 1) arrogant and obnoxious conduct at the table prior to the PCs
impending death and 2) someone caught blatantly cheatingthat still ends up in a deaths door situation. I also
have a little less mercy on PCs played by very experienced players but even then if they aretrying their best &
acting with respect I tend to cut them some slack. I played it as I felt was justified and I've seen the same
methods acted out at GenCon, MegaCon, ect.

I absolutely agree with your logic, just not your reasoning. A DM that runs tables indiscriminately will never have to be overturned as they are running the adventures as written. I've seen monster cut through a stranger or new comer at a table of "friends" and then all of a sudden decide that attacking one player at a time with his 4 attacks is too much. Pitty the new comer didnt know the dm or he might have gotten the same curtisy. Just because the DM guide give you the option, which by the way didnt transfer to pathfinder as far as i've found, it still doesnt allow a dm to go against the instructions provided in a modual. Otherwise, what is the point of reading ahead, I will jsut run everyone blindly and you will all have fun.

I've run moduals that other players, nameless, have apparently played in 4 player tables and still managed to survive unscathed. Yes experience plays a factor but sitting in a table that the DM is without a dought pulling punches leads me as a player to only think one thing. These guys suck and I should try my best never to get shackles with them at another table. A principle which I as a DM have never been happy with.

Hell even Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, has screwed player royally in an adventure, but seeing that he is a tight to run things as written, then all you can do is bitch or complain and then move on.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:29 pm

MorganWolf wrote: Peter, you need to look over your rules again, rene is right if an action is obvious you don't need to be an evil genius to know what to do.

Do I need to remind you when I did almost the same thing, on my Mystic Tharuge? But insted of pulling out a potion I pulled out my staff of thunger and lighting? attacked the guy and droped him by blowing the last charges... (it was in my back of holding)

You never know what they are going to pull out, what if it was a cube of force? or many other items I could think of...
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

thetrickygnome
Slave to this message board
Slave to this message board

Postby thetrickygnome » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Jesus Christ what is the damned problem - PJ mentions something that happened like 3-4 years ago and some
of you people are posting these nitpicking comments. He pulled out a friggin potion in front of a raging, pissed
off orc even as he was bleeding like a stuck pig. The orc reacted to something being flashed in front of his
face in the PCs hand and attacked. Can we drop this and get back to Pathfinder?

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:26 pm

And thankfully Jose, Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, and Peter have proven the point I was trying to make.

The game takes forever because of the bullshit people start over one insignificant thing because they have an "opinion." Next time people shut the f*ck up and move along and don't deconstruct everything!

:|]
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:20 pm

You two seem to be missing the point... I dont care what you did as a dm 3 yrs ago or anyone for that matter. The problem I pointed out in my post is still as problem to this date. That being, dms that pulls punched for his friends and softballs adventures. Dont want to believe me that it happens, then your living a lie.

I dont pull punches.. a mod tells me i attack one person till they drop.. that is what i do. I player uses common sense sollutions to a problem given in the adventure, I give it to then and base the DC from what I am given. I also dont like whinning and empty threats at my tables.

This adventure was well written and very managable if the party is working together. Ours was constantly trying to out-do one another.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:05 pm

Of course they are always trying to outdo each other. It's a fact of life for them.

Grandstanding for the sake of grandstanding in combat is stupid, it'll get you killed.

As for pulling punches when you have no tactics but you have an alignment and at least a mission for the bad guys then you know what to do. I'm not going to stab people on the ground unless it is to make a point that my bad guy is serious. But when we did skeleton moon I didn't have that option (though I could have done it to four people). My bad guys were focused on taking all of them down otherwise they would fail their mission to retrieve the documents and technically we didn't know who it was on. Besides, taking down all the players is just the smart thing to do when you have the upper hand (curse you summoner!).

Now had my bad guys been chaotic evil I may have done a readied action to kill a player as a threat to get them to back off and hand me the documents. Of course I didn't think of that and that's why hindsight is great as a DM since it allows you to refine your options for the next time...
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Every DM is provided with tactics for every monster used in an adventure. If the tactics are not written specifically for you in the adventure, as dms, we are supposed to draw reference from the MMs or similar references.

Again you seem to be missing the problem and as I know you have seen it as much as I have, please read my previous posts for the examples I've noted. I dont think DM are failing to kill players, that isnt there job, but neither is playing favorites. If you are going to run a monster one way for one group of players and another way for your friends, then you are playing favorites.

This will be my final note on this matter feel free to input on the topic thread for adventure #18 I ran at Sunshine Tuesday....

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:47 pm

There is no such thing as the "final" word.

The original point was that players bitch when they are confronted with death because they never have experienced it in some cases (which was the case).

I could care less about the tactics because they are already written as you said and you modify on the fly when they are unachievable.

I didn't say they failed to kill players, it's that they chicken out when that is the case. I agree you should not softball it.

If the monster is there to defend the place and a certain character keeps reviving everyone and the monster has a good intelligence then would it kill or incap that pc?
- Philip Slama

Return to “Pathfinder”