The new (and improved) 3.5....
Its time to get our game on.

Moderators: MorganWolf, grey, Peewee

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

new twist on Hardness

Postby Thanos » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:23 pm

Edit Apparently nothing by passes harness any more except adamantine. Your spell effect can do full damage or 1/2 but still has to subtract hardness.

Hardness: Each object has hardness—a number that
represents how well it resists damage. When an object is
damaged, subtract its hardness from the damage. Only
damage in excess of its hardness is deducted from the object’s
hit points (see Table 7–12, Table 7–13, and Table 7–14).
Hit Points: An object’s hit point total depends on what
it is made of and how big it is (see Table 7–12, Table 7–13,
and Table 7–14). Objects that take damage equal to or greater
than half their total hit points gain the broken condition (see
Appendix 2). When an object’s hit points reach 0, it’s ruined.
Very large objects have separate hit point totals for
different sections.
Energy Attacks: Energy attacks deal half damage to
most objects. Divide the damage by 2 before applying the
object’s hardness. Some energy types might be particularly
effective against certain objects, subject to GM discretion.
For example, fire might do full damage against parchment,
cloth, and other objects that burn easily. Sonic might do
full damage against glass and crystal objects.

Needles
Slave to this message board

Re: new twist on Hardness

Postby Needles » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:58 pm

There is nothing in the books that says acid goes through steel's hardness. Therefore, Oozes that do acid to metal don't do damage to a character wearing armor. The only saving grace for these Oozes is that it is subject to DM's discretion and therefore can do damage. That is the only way an Ooz that deals acid damage to armor can damage it, DM's discretion that is :D .
There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Needles wrote:There is nothing in the books that says acid goes through steel's hardness. Therefore, Oozes that do acid to metal don't do damage to a character wearing armor. The only saving grace for these Oozes is that it is subject to DM's discretion and therefore can do damage. That is the only way an Ooz that deals acid damage to armor can damage it, DM's discretion that is :D .

The DM discretion is if the ooze does full damage instead of 1/2 to objects. He still has to subtract the harness so if your ooze does full 1d10 acid damage on a slam to a iron BP it could never damage it since it is Hardness 10.

Needles

Postby Needles » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:57 pm

What I define as DM's discretion is that an ooz can bypass the hardness of armor and therefore damage armor. Otherwise, what is the effect of the creature. It won't do anything. DM's discretion is what can make an ooz a dangerous monster. If the DM rules that an Ooze acid bypasses armors hardness then the DM makes the rules of the monster with his discretion. He is given this right by allowing the DM to have Discretion to make an ooz dangerous by bypassing armors hardness.

An ooz is worthless if it doesn't have a threat. I believe that is the thinking of the monster. I have posted this on paizo and other people posted that with DM's descretion an ooz can be dangerous by bypassing armor with DM's discretion. The post has made it to the archives by now. I'm sure it is gone. :D

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:42 am

Needles wrote:What I define as DM's discretion is that an ooz can bypass the hardness of armor and therefore damage armor. Otherwise, what is the effect of the creature. It won't do anything. DM's discretion is what can make an ooz a dangerous monster. If the DM rules that an Ooze acid bypasses armors hardness then the DM makes the rules of the monster with his discretion. He is given this right by allowing the DM to have Discretion to make an ooz dangerous by bypassing armors hardness.

An ooz is worthless if it doesn't have a threat. I believe that is the thinking of the monster. I have posted this on paizo and other people posted that with DM's descretion an ooz can be dangerous by bypassing armor with DM's discretion. The post has made it to the archives by now. I'm sure it is gone. :D

If it is a home game you can do whatever you want but pathfinder society is another animal and you need consistent ruling. I am fine with it but I have already seen a lot of people rule the other way on the boards. They say the discretion only applies to full or 1/2 damage.

see this link where most people say acid splash can melt through a lock

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/general/limitationsOnUsingAcidSplashAsAUtilitySpell

Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Postby Dwraith » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Problem with that is it still up to the GM to make that ruling. You can't overrule a GM at the table is he rules if ether way. Yes, a judge need to keep it constant, but he has the power to run the game as he see fit. Only a Cordinator can over rule him and only if the Cordinator has already played it.

Judge: The Game Master must be the arbiter of
everything that occurs in the game. All rule books,
including this one, are his tools, but his word is the law.
He must not antagonize the players or work to impede
their ability to enjoy the game, yet neither should he favor
them and coddle them. He should be impartial, fair, and
consistent in his administration of the rules.
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

Needles

Postby Needles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Acid splash on a lock is just another example of acid going through hardness. It is something that carried through from 3.5 DnD.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:33 pm

OFFICIAL DECREE:

From this point on the following is LAW at my tables:

More than half the table think I'm wrong? Get a d6 biatch...
You want pity heals? We'll roll and decide if you want mine instead.
Oozes will f*ck you up...period.
Acid Splash is an EPIC LEVEL spell and will bust non-magical locks.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Return to “Pathfinder”