Thinking about a new setting... (off topic)

The forum for home campaigns.
MorganWolf
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Thinking about a new setting... (off topic)

Postby MorganWolf » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:33 am

Delete it I dare you.

All I proposed as a setting idea, that’s all… Never said I was going to run it on Sundays, never said I was going to not run pathfinder, never even hinted at it.

I was looking for insight and/or criticism… all I got from you was attitude…

Please stay on topic… or your post will be deleted…

You bitched about how sundays are the only time you can play, we told you that sundays was going to become mainly pathfinder in time. This was how the other players wanted to start a change to pathfinder so that we wouldn't fall behind. ALOT of people like the FIU site just because you have an issue with it won't change that, I'm beginning to see that everything is either about you and only you and that saddens me, it has been commented to me by several people that you don't seem to be pleased unless your the main attraction in some way.

CASE IN POINT!!!

Ramon's comment!
Peter, I know you are angry. I hear it in your voice. I am going to do my VERY best to simplify what I see as the source of this problem.

You want to "BE" the story instead of "BEING PART OF" the story.

Richard's comment!
I don't think Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, is completely at fault, you do have a propensity to try and monopolize most of the game time and there was 8 other people there.

Rene's comment!
I do think that Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, Monica, and Richard have made some good points Peter. You have a very strong willed personality and sometimes you tend to dominate the DMs attention at the table more than some people are comfortable with. You have a habit of making grandiose plans and then people have to reign you in a bit.

P.J.'s comment!
No system can keep a hold on you because you are never satisfied. You need to be the center of attention or close enough to it that your role is not diminished. If your ideas are shot down you sulk, or your creativity stunted you complain that the judge is not letting you do what you want (i.e. using the rules against you).

Monica's comment!
Sometimes you want Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, to go by the timeline, but then when it best for you, you want it to change by your way of the storyline based on something or someone in a mod that just happen. It's a game just have fun with it.

I know you will take this in the most negative way because you always do and all your decisions are based that way thereby causing you to make the blunders you do. If you would think first then discuss things instead; you wouldn't be running off half-cocked, you would resolve issues pretty much without the drama you tend to bring to the situation. watch as I know this will be the result, prove me wrong.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: Thinking about a new setting... (off topic)

Postby Peewee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:46 am

Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,,

I was proud of you when I read your response on Sunday’s @ Peters, but then I read the post above.

The reason why I’m starting my own game is a style issue… I like a different style of home game Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,.

Case in Point,

You ran Mutant Massacre... you did a VERY good job setting it up... but the follow up, you dropped the ball. You run your MSH campaign like a RPGA style living campaign. And that’s not something I’m looking for.

I posted some advice which you ignored… that’s ok; everyone does not have the same GM style.

Ramon said that maybe at the Summoning I should run a MSH game to “show people how it’s done” but again I think Ramon missed the point… I can’t run an event like the Mutant Massacre in one day and do it justice.

Some of the most powerful moments of the Mutant Massacre happened after the Mutant Massacre… I was looking forward to the RP moment where Magneto started to prove himself to the X-Men, when he used his power to HEAL for the first time, yes it trapped Colossus in his metal form, but it saved him. The moment where the X-Men started to piece together what had happened.

Instead you hurried everyone to the next adventure… I like to role-play more then roll-play… your GM style is the other way around. I see combat moments as the “!” in a sentence you see combat as the sentence with its “!” being the role-playing.

Example: cosmic cubed…
I would have asked two months ago who the characters were going into that adventure, telling people they cannot change the character once the pick it. Once I know the characters I would have used foreshadowing to being the adventure into the storyline… for example, let’s say that you were going to bring in Spiderman, at some time in an adventure I would have done something that after a battle you look up and see the watcher looking down at you and then, before anyone else noticed… he is gone. What the hell did that mean? Why was he looking at you? Then when Cosmic Cubed started, you would go “Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”

Example: Mutant Massacre
This would have taken me a month to pull off… it was one of the biggest events in X-Men history and had huge repercussions. I would have started the story line mid-way in some other adventure, maybe Domino started to hear things (she has the connections) that somebody is putting together some VERY nasty mercenaries. Maybe I would have run a one shot adventure were the players play Shield agents which have Sabertooth under surveillance, they are given the ordered to move in and take him down, and given a nasty surprise.

I would have changed the villains a little by adding a few, seeing that I like cross-overs, I would have let the X-Men call in the Avengers. Have the players bring in their weak Avengers and instead of the Certification of Angel being a solo for Thor, I would have had it be a small story for the Avengers…

You see the combat as the only possibility… I see the story leading up to the combat as the greatest possibility of all, and the aftermath as the true test of character.

What happens the next day, when the sun rises the day after the Mutant Massacre, what do the Heroes do? Do they hunt down the Murderers? Do they start trying to track down Mr. Essex? What do the Avengers do? What information does Shield have? What happened to all the Agents they played in the one shot? What if one of those Agents survived? What if that one agent somehow made it to the Avenger Mansion because she believes that Shield may have been compromised?

Wow I just turned Mutant Massacre is two new story lines… the X-Men are dealing with the Marauders and Mr. Essex. The Avengers are now dealing with Mr. Essex’s possible influence within Shield. Now how cool would it be if the two teams ended up together at the end of the story line fighting the same foe, the Marauders and Mr. Sinister. Maybe they even get a hint at the existence of a foe they cannot find, but they feel his influence, enter dark beast.

If after the above examples you don’t “Get it” then I guess you never will.
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Xylona Ajani

Postby Xylona Ajani » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:53 pm

I will continue the trend going on with this post and stay off topic, I think, I do not know anymore. Peter, I am confused. You had mentioned in the past when we would talk about pathfinder that you wanted to play. You even went to Dragoncon and you liked pathfinder. Have you changed you mind? Will you not be playing with us on Sunday’s when we play Pathfinder? How about Nani, I thought she liked playing pathfinder? I thought the issue you had been about marvel and your character which now we play on Saturday when possible, so that Sunday opened up for Pathfinder and /or Star wars when possible. What's up with Sundays now? Why Sunday, why not any other day of the week like you had mentioned before you wanted to play a day during the week to play this new setting you are visualizing ? :-?

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:30 pm

First of all,

Don't even pull that weak ass "Off Topic-Post" bullshit on LivingCity.net because all it is going to do is infuriate us to break the rules even more and keep copies of our deleted post and then post them on EVERY forum through our multiple accounts (yeah, I prepare for the eventual banning of my username on EVERY forum I join).

Now that we've got the formalities out of the way we discuss the little things.

Let's be realistic Peter, you're got more unfinished "side-projects" than Reed Richards on a Sunday afternoon.

It's not a slam, it's the truth.

What happened to writing your own IK Region?
Whatever happened to that Battle Interactive you were going to write for the Summoning?
Whatever happened to your Witch Hunter game days?
Whatever happened to the great game days at the now defunct Silver Dragon Square?

Here's the next small issue:

Who's going to play?

Before you start stop and think about this before we begin another side conversation about home game attendance. You’re unlikely to get fresh blood and as a result fall back on the same people over and over and over and over and over and over…well you get the pattern.

Greg was able, with my help, to have 15 people sitting down at the gaming table (we cut it down to 9 after six weeks). We added Richard, the twins, Rob, Coldstone, Christine (1 game) and Pablo to our regular line up until we finally reduced the table size due to commitments.

Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, has at least seven stable players for MSH, with an upswing to about 12 if everyone showed up.

The “New Sith Wars” has six confirmed weekly attendees and two who will be on a week-by-week basis.

Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, running Pathfinder, has been able to get 18 stable people to show up PLUS an additional 12 more people who have attended the games but not on a regular basis.

Do we need to go on here?

It’s about turning out the people and getting STABLE COMMITMENTS. Hell, I’m not going somewhere for just four hours on my weekend anymore. If I’m not getting 8-10 hours out of it then why am I going? Richard understands when he played with Greg. We had our best game ever which went 16 hours during the BI day (we never did it again) but games regularly started at 11:30 and usually adjourned at 1:00 in the morning.

Adolpho dropped out because of our time restrictions on the game: 11:30 to 7 or 8pm on a Sunday. We do it because we know people will turn out for it from previous experience. That’s why we keep our table numbers up.

You can see why we are so critical of you decision. You are big on ideas but small on action. Your record simply has too many unfinished projects to say otherwise.

Uh oh, I see Monica is in the mix now and she plugged the Star Wars game! See Peter, that is the PERFECT example of getting a home game with constant support!
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:34 pm

Xylona Ajani wrote:I will continue the trend going on with this post and stay off topic, I think, I do not know anymore. Peter, I am confused. You had mentioned in the past when we would talk about pathfinder that you wanted to play. You even went to Dragoncon and you liked pathfinder. Have you changed you mind? Will you not be playing with us on Sunday’s when we play Pathfinder? How about Nani, I thought she liked playing pathfinder? I thought the issue you had been about marvel and your character which now we play on Saturday when possible, so that Sunday opened up for Pathfinder and /or Star wars when possible. What's up with Sundays now? Why Sunday, why not any other day of the week like you had mentioned before you wanted to play a day during the week to play this new setting you are visualizing ? :-?

I guess his "Swashbuckling Attitude" didn't go well with his Cleric. It's an attitude remember?
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:51 pm

Xylona Ajani wrote:I will continue the trend going on with this post and stay off topic, I think, I do not know anymore. Peter, I am confused. You had mentioned in the past when we would talk about pathfinder that you wanted to play. You even went to Dragoncon and you liked pathfinder. Have you changed you mind? Will you not be playing with us on Sunday’s when we play Pathfinder? How about Nani, I thought she liked playing pathfinder? I thought the issue you had been about marvel and your character which now we play on Saturday when possible, so that Sunday opened up for Pathfinder and /or Star wars when possible. What's up with Sundays now? Why Sunday, why not any other day of the week like you had mentioned before you wanted to play a day during the week to play this new setting you are visualizing ? :-?

I want to play pathfinder... but it’s not the only thing I want to play.

You said “I thought the issue you had been about marvel and your character” and that’s where I see that you (and I think others) totally missed the point of why I left the MSH game. If you read the above and didn’t understand it, I don’t know what else I can do/say.

I came to the conclusion that the kind of game I like to play and run is not what I will find in the MSH game, and to be honest after talking to PJ, I'm not going to find it in the Star Wars game.

Monica the only kind of game you have ever really been exposed to is RPGA style gaming, which by necessity is Episodic each adventure is compressed into its own 4 hr long story, and they have very little effect on the next one you play, each adventure is its own capsule with the trilogy tossed in for flavor. A game was the player’s actions really don’t have any immediate effect; and when the adventure is over and there no “downtime” except off stage. Your choices are limited to the framework of the adventure and in reality you have little choice in what you do once its over.

I like to play such games on the side; they are an appetizer and a desert for me, not the main course.

I like adventures which last for months, one adventure may have over 10 fights have multiple-sub plots. Storylines that take a year to fill out, over reaching stories that take the characters actions (and I mean all of the characters actions) into immediate account, were characters actions are not ignored, because in a home game, it is the players actions that make the adventure.

About the setting idea-

The setting I envisioned was just an idea, something that has been milling around in my head, so I posted it to see what some people would think.... if you read the original post I was not even talking about running it, I was just thinking about creating it.

What did I get from Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, a bunch of attitude about what game is HOT and in essence he said "Stop the crap come here and run pathfinder because that what everyone wants"

If you took the time to read my post “Sunday’s @ Peters” I have no idea what we are going to play… I’m going to leave that up to the players, we will also be playing Pathfinder once a month or so.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:03 pm

I came to the conclusion that the kind of game I like to play and run is not what I will find in the MSH game, and to be honest after talking to PJ, I'm not going to find it in the Star Wars game.

Peter just proved the point entirely with this statement.

How can you know you're not going to find it if you haven't played it?

Peter, you're like the "Gamer of No" go join the Republicans and protest something (heh).

You said, "Hey why don't you look into this system to run Star Wars."

I said, "No. We're going to use a mix of the 3.0/3.5 books since the campaign is already complicated with the new rules." (There are 19 sourcebooks, enough even for you Peter)

We have a Mandalorian <Something>, Jedi Guardian, Smuggler, Bounty Hunter, TechRunner, Jedi Councillor and some other combo I haven't been told about.

If the adventure is planned out for 41 games Peter how can it NOT have a storyline?

Have you talked to anyone who is playing it? Richard could sure as hell tell you that your comment was WAYYYY off the mark.

Case in point: It was Richard who wanted a Mandaloria, I told him find me some material and we'll go over the stats for it.

HE FOUND A 30 PAGE GUIDE ON MANDALORIANS.

I immediately told him his new stats and starting abilities and he ran with it.

Josh wanted to play an alien not in the core book, I said get me a description and I'll write it up. He did it, and he got a war dog on the side because he asked for ROLEPLAYING REASONS.

Chuck is playing the smuggler and HE IS THE GREA GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT Grandfather of Han Solo. It doesn't get any more grandiouse for roleplaying a character than that.

And like I told the players, the story is structured but if you f*ck it up or do something I didn't plan for then the fact that I have it planned out ALLOWS ME TO CHANGE THE STORY EASIER THAN IF I WAS DOING IT ON THE FLY.

That is what is happening with Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, in MSH. He has a whole bunch of modules but what happens when he runs out. I'll tell you what.

I'm going to write one and run it for two sessions. It's the same as DND with encounters of which it should be a 50/50 mix of roleplay combat in the MSH realm plus an after action detail of what your hero is going AFTER the adventure so I know where you will be in the next one.

Come on Peter, it's not hard to solve these problems instead of complaining and walking away.

As they said on Stargate, "AND WE'RE WALKING!"
- Philip Slama

teknoblade
I really like Roleplaying

Postby teknoblade » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:06 pm

First, No threats of spam or any other type on this board as it goes against the posted rules both of the forum and the originating server. Though at least then the boards well be getting regular use.

Second, I expect to never see the "Please stay on topic" comment if this is going to roll in any other thread on this board or any other because yeah we can all make multiple profiles. So I expect you all to man up and take it like you expect other too.

Next, I agree that we all draw our gamers from the same pool. What I find funny is that people still complain that they can't play an adventure or a game. Even when other try to coordinate their own games or option for these "players" either ignore the event or even go as far as black-balling it. Why this happens is beyond me. I just dont want to hear any more bitching and complaining about it.

Next, About the project and never finishing I will only say this. Lets not throw stones from a glass house. We have all had our ups and down. Most of mine have been related to the previous item above.

As far as "support", I will be playing SAT or SUN but not both. You want me to commit to one game. It is really easy, just make the game a Role Playing Game and not a Roll Playing game. Also, It would be nice if the rules applied to everyone and not just at a whim.

PS
Honestly, ok well we work every other day to 6pm on average and only get paid till 5pm so that doesnt leave much time during the week. Not to mention the above fact that just about no one can play during the week, so it makes gameing then really lonely and unsuccessful.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Ozymandius wrote:.What happened to writing your own IK Region?

You need three people to start one... I asked and NO ONE STEPED UP TO THE PLATE. NOT ONE PERSON… None of you said “Hay pete lets do this!”

Ozymandius wrote:. Whatever happened to that Battle Interactive you were going to write for the Summoning?

The plot I proposal was shot down by the Triad, did you forget that?

Ozymandius wrote:
Whatever happened to your Witch Hunter game days?
Whatever happened to the great game days at the now defunct Silver Dragon Square?

The person I had picked to help me run these drop off the face of the earth and left me hanging.

I was in the mist of helping write 3 products for PCI and running my own company that at the time had me pulling 10 to 12hr days... my company also went belly up, I had to move offices, Oh ya... and MY MOM DIED!

~~~~
Let’s see what I have done

Ran the LA campaign for 2 years until my baby was born and I decided to dedicate a TON of time to her.

Project managed Magic of Arcanis, and wrote stuff for almost all of PCI’s books… Players guide to Arcanis for example.

I wrote my own world which you never played in… ask Albert how much crap I wrote for it.

Wrote my own game system (about 80% of it is done) and had it play tested… anyone who play tested the effort system knows how much of the system I wrote, in the end the project was shelved…

Wrote my own version of the d20 system for Arcanis before we decided to go with a new system.

I’m helping write the new Arcanis system… hell I just uploaded the start of the skills chapter & weapons table… tonight I will be completing the Armor table.

And to top it all off I own my own company, get back to me when you have to work till 12 midnight to get a project done so you can pay the people that work for you and pay the stupid amounts of tax a small company needs to pay. I’m my own IT guy, Web Guy, and Project Mangier…

And I like to SPEND TIME WITH MY FAMILY…

Your right… I don’t do a thing .
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:13 pm

HEY PJ call me as I want recommendations for a character idea for your game. I need something to do on SUN. Though I will say Peter had a great idea of allowing the DM to take a break from time to time with Pathfinder or another Living System.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:25 pm

Ozymandius wrote:And like I told the players, the story is structured but if you f*ck it up or do something I didn't plan for then the fact that I have it planned out ALLOWS ME TO CHANGE THE STORY EASIER THAN IF I WAS DOING IT ON THE FLY.

Then maybe I was mistaken...

The way you explained things to me, it kind of felt like you were going to write and run it like a RPGA story arc (see above)

I was basing my understanding of the game off what you described to me, but I may have misunderstood.

And thus I apologize.

There are two more factors for me not playing Star Wars though 1) Length of the game, 11:30 to 7 or 8pm on a Sunday is kind of crazy long for me... 2) I want to be able to game with my wife.. If I game at my home, it makes that a much higher possibility... We can take care of Aurora and game at the same time.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

The Heretic
Slave to this message board

Postby The Heretic » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:47 pm

Ozymandius wrote:Adolpho dropped out because of our time restrictions on the game: 11:30 to 7 or 8pm on a Sunday. We do it because we know people will turn out for it from previous experience. That’s why we keep our table numbers up.

Which is why I am trying to get a weeknight Serenity game going. That way I can keep running it during Fest Time.
A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes-----Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

"The measure of the homeland’s independence can be gauged by the amount of independence enjoyed by her children, and, as we have already said, there can be no free homeland while her children are slaves."-----Enrique Roig de San Martin

thetrickygnome

Postby thetrickygnome » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 pm

The plot I proposal was shot down by the Triad, did you forget that?

I don't remember if I was Triad at the time you did this but if I was be very careful with statements
like this. That is one Pandoras box you do not want to open.

The truth of the matter Peter is that as much as I love you as a friend, your mouth moves infinitely
faster than your brain most of the time. Mind you I am not calling you dumb but rather quite the
opposite. You're a very bright guy and your contributions to gaming are very strong. However, you
also have a habit of envisioning things, hyping them up, starting them out a little bit and then allowing
them to fade away into obscurity and neglect. I wish sometimes you would reign yourself in a little.

The reason I don't get in over my head that often when it comes to gaming and rarely make promises
I can't keep in terms of gaming is that I have a keen understanding of my threshold in terms of time &
availability. More importantly I understand how my actions can have a negative impact on others if I
hype up starting a new game or promise to write something and then drop the ball. When you bring
others into the fold the pressure and responsibility to come thru grows tenfold.

My Marvel mod is done and my second one is 50-75% done as well. I said I would write them and I kept
my word. I can't do Marvel on Saturdays and Pathfinder the same Sunday and Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, knows this. I work
within my boundaries and them clear so that the people who might be affected adversely by my absence
understand this up front.

Good luck with you new system but a piece of friendly advice. If you start it and get the people, follow
thru. Otherwise if you don't think you can then don't waste their time.

Return to “Home Campaigns”