What is a home game?

The forum for home campaigns.
ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

What is a home game?

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:52 pm

Everyone has a different definition for what a home game is. A home game is not run out of a box. A home game is not a series of mods. A home game is a plot or storyline that is supposed to revolve around a core group of player characters. The GM is supposed to guide the players along a certain path but still let the players meet some of the goals of their characters. The GM should allow certain character concepts to be introduced into their campaign, and gently persuade and or guide the potential player into making a character that will fit their adventure path.

Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, is not running a home game of any sort. Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, let a group of friends make or choose their heroes, but all we do is go through mods. Our superheroes will never graduate to become X-Men, or join the Avengers, the JLA, JSA, or the Green Lantern Corps because Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, would be forced to run a campaign. Something not prepublished or written as a creative 1 shot by a fellow player. Several of our Marvel players had an idea of forming a base in Red Hook. Ideas were posted, plans were made, and all for nothing, because Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, would have to run something literally outside the box. All superheroes have a chance to earn xp and develop powers and contacts, but not a chance to move on.

Peter is running a home game based on "Game of Thrones". Peter will work with you through character creation so your character will fit into his story. Characters here have a chance to grow, make contacts, and hopefully move on to finish their agendas.

I would like to see some feedback on this issue. Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, I know you will be upset, but I pointed out several times that heroes do grow up, change teams, run around as lone wolves, and even become less heroic and more cynical. I would love to see some changes in the games.
Breaking mods with disposable items.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: What is a home game?

Postby Peewee » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:21 am

Rob,

Some people just have different ideas of a home game and in all honesty it all comes down to the amount of work the game master is ready to do and the amount of improvisation the game master is comfortable with.

Weaving players sub-plots into an over reaching plot is not easy... most GM's drop the ball in execution, I know I have dropped the ball in the attempts to incorporate more then one subplot in the past. Also you CAN run a campaign using a lot of published adventures, but again it takes a lot of work on the side of the GM... you can swap around villas, slightly change the story line, an an extra encounter along the way.

I DON'T want to or intend to come on here and put down other peoples campaigns, every GM has their own style... it's up to the players to communicate with the game master, or find another game master... OR have a player step up and take over running the game for a few months (which I attempted and you see where that got me)

Again, everyone players in their own way, it's up to each player and game master to play the game they think they will have the most fun in....

I'm now able to play during the week again (once a week)... I KNOW I could have joined the 1st ed game.. but I was also giving a chance to play with a real 'story oriented' game master who is running a VERY cool home brew (think Legends of the Five Rings 2013, using the Shadowrun system... bad ass) I also had a chance to join a classic LR5 campaign and a 4th edition home game...

I, as a player, had to sit down and think about what I wanted to play and why... I have been itching for a cool character driven campaign for years... I know Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, is NOT that kind of gm, so instead of trying to force a GM to play the way I like to play I found one that does... and I got up off my ass and started a my one character driven story-line in my home game.
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:16 pm

like an echo chamber in here
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:28 pm

We dropped the ball in the 1E game. We should have started in Greyhawk, where our PCs could have joined guilds, been able to train, have access to more spells, equipment, and etc. We could have adventured in & around the city without shelling out money to teleport us (most likely 1 way) across Oerth.

Our PCs are doomed to be small independent operators, with absolutely ZERO chance of joining and or forming a guild or establishing a stronghold. Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, does not want to run that kind of campaign.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:49 pm

ScrollMasterRob wrote:We dropped the ball in the 1E game. We should have started in Greyhawk, where our PCs could have joined guilds, been able to train, have access to more spells, equipment, and etc. We could have adventured in & around the city without shelling out money to teleport us (most likely 1 way) across Oerth.

Our PCs are doomed to be small independent operators, with absolutely ZERO chance of joining and or forming a guild or establishing a stronghold. Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, does not want to run that kind of campaign.

That's the game he wants to run....

He is the GM.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

MorganWolf
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby MorganWolf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, is not running a home game of any sort. Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, let a group of friends make or choose their heroes, but all we do is go through mods. Our superheroes will never graduate to become X-Men, or join the Avengers, the JLA, JSA, or the Green Lantern Corps because Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, would be forced to run a campaign. Something not prepublished or written as a creative 1 shot by a fellow player. Several of our Marvel players had an idea of forming a base in Red Hook. Ideas were posted, plans were made, and all for nothing, because Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, would have to run something literally outside the box. All superheroes have a chance to earn xp and develop powers and contacts, but not a chance to move on.

The red hook idea was run dummy and for a long while, you just weren't part of it at the time you missed your chance because you never tried to join it when Peter was leading the group and there was much variety that was done for it as Peter can tell you that he was able to design his own red hook base as he was able to afford to his specifications so before you start talking sh*t learn your facts beforehand.

We dropped the ball in the 1E game. We should have started in Greyhawk, where our PCs could have joined guilds, been able to train, have access to more spells, equipment, and etc. We could have adventured in & around the city without shelling out money to teleport us (most likely 1 way) across Oerth.

You said it right there, it was the choice of the players where to start, grey hawk was one of them so you tell me who's at fault, there are other players at the table rob so if you can't get where you want to go blame yourself for not having enough balls to make your point and blame me for it. Your being an idiot thinking Im not giving you the ability to develop your character because I have given your party that ability so if no one opens their mouth and tells the others "hey, I need to do this for role playing purposes" then blame yourself and stop blaming me for your failures, I'm getting really tried of your negativity, do something about it or shut the f*ck up. You forget that you were given a spot at that table due to being a team player can you guess why some others weren't invited? Especially those who cant play without arguing. Also you seem to forget that you were being picked up to play and having people go out of their way to get you so consider what was done for you before you criticize.
You have no idea of my home games as this is a recent campaign and no one player should run the group. So stand up for yourself to the players and get your point across without being a dick and accomplish what you need to some extent.

Weaving players sub-plots into an over reaching plot is not easy... most GM's drop the ball in execution, I know I have dropped the ball in the attempts to incorporate more then one subplot in the past. Also you CAN run a campaign using a lot of published adventures, but again it takes a lot of work on the side of the GM... you can swap around villas, slightly change the story line, an an extra encounter along the way.

I DON'T want to or intend to come on here and put down other peoples campaigns, every GM has their own style... it's up to the players to communicate with the game master, or find another game master... OR have a player step up and take over running the game for a few months (which I attempted and you see where that got me)

You got that right Pete, rob every one has bad luck in a game you decided to be the party thief, guess what that's sometimes the most dangerous job in the party due to traps, poisoned locks, or searching ahead 1st edition doesn't make it easy in fact it's the hardest edition for it you as a 1st edition player should already know this especially knowing that it's the "temple of elemental evil" hell you played the video game and your still bitching to me knowing what's comin up almost, seems more shame on you for not anticipating what is to be without the DM thinking your cheating by using module knowledge you of all people should know better.
If you can't hack playing a thief in 1st then be something you can handle otherwise SUCK IT UP!!!!

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:18 am

Let's get back to the long running superhero games. Name me 1 current player that has a character that has "grown up" to join another team.
I would like to see Illyana eventually join the X-Men.
I want to see Jade eventually join the JSA. Become a Green Lantern. Work with the Outsiders. Join the JLA.
I want to see Hank Pym open his clinic. Not everyone wants their powers-take the Rhino, as an example.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:49 pm

Umm rob...

Justice is now a full member of the Avengers... yes he never had an official "you are a member" adventure but it happened.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:06 am

Speaking of "getting your facts straight", the players VOTED as to where we wanted to start in the 1E game. Being outvoted does not require balls.
As for role-playing, do you really care? I know nothing about the other player's motivations or backgrounds, and certain players have not even named their characters.
Some of us like to role-play. For potentially endless battles, I could stay home and play Gauntlet.

How long have our PCs from the MX series been missing? The heroes were gone for at least 1 month during the first Secret War. Are our heroes missed? Have they been declared legally dead? I konw that Ilyanna is certainly missing her brother and her best friend.
Will Maddy have had Cyclops declared dead and cashed in on a life insurance policy? Have she and the baby been kidnapped by Mr. Sinister? If we EVER get those characters back, you have the opportunity to tell a great story.

And Peter, I did ask about CURRENT players.

Return to “Home Campaigns”