GM: MorganWolf
Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: Character Creation Rules- Marvel

Postby Peewee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:48 am

::blinks::

you sure you want to do this?

200? and any power in the book? thats... well risky to say the least...

pb
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:49 am

One more thing

Talents cost how much?
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:40 am

Humm No Angels hu....

Darn kills one character concept ::winks:::

Ok so should we post finished characters here or wait till Sunday?
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

teknoblade
I really like Roleplaying

Postby teknoblade » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:14 pm

WHAT APPLIES? WHAT DOESNT? HOW WOULD YOU APPLY THEM? ARE LIMITATIONS ACCEPTED FOR INCREASING RANK AS PER PHB?

Breed Mutants: The hero's parents were Mutants, as were any number of preceding generations. Breed Mutants form tribes and have close-knit families; this is a defense mechanism born from generations spent hiding their true selves from normal society. Examples of Breed Mutants include the Inhumans.
Breed Mutants roll on Column 1 of the Random Ranks Table.
Intuition is raised +1CS.
Endurance is raised +1CS.
Breed Mutants must have at least one Contact, usually their tribe.

High Technology: Also called Hi-Tech Wonders, these heroes derive their abilities solely through equipment, whether that equipment is mystical or technological in nature, such as Iron Man or Captain Britain. High technology heroes start with lower primary ability scores and in addition may not use their powers without their equipment; however, they receive many other benefits.
• High technology heroes roll on column 3 of the Random Ranks Table.
• The initial Reason is raised by two ranks (If Good is rolled, then initial reason is Remarkable).
• Initial Resources are set at Good, or optionally rolled.
• High technology heroes must have at least one Contact, and they must declare what that Contact is before starting play. This Contact represents the organization that the player-character works for (or, if Resources are high enough, owns).
• At least one Talent chosen by the player must be Scientific or professional in nature.
• If, when generating Powers, the high tech wonder chooses Body Armor as a Power, the high technology hero may choose to have all his Powers combined into a battlesuit (a la Iron Man). Check under the Body Armor entry for these effects. Effects are rolled on Column 6 to see how the armor affects the Fighting, Agility, Strength, and Endurance of the player-character.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:38 am

Also,

This may sound bitchy, BUT, if I spend the time to make a character... how often are we going to play these guys?

Are they replacements for a hero we already have?

I think, if we make these guys they should be a septate campaign run every other week... at least.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:37 pm

I have already gone on record as say i would be willing to play my new hero or madison. I wanted a tech hero as KARMA in the game sucks so all we have left in the INVENTING rules. Wow, this is sounding more and more like LG. Serious DEja Vu....

PS Can someone address the questions for hero creation as a high tech with body armor....

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:29 pm

teknoblade wrote:I have already gone on record as say i would be willing to play my new hero or madison. I wanted a tech hero as KARMA in the game sucks so all we have left in the INVENTING rules. Wow, this is sounding more and more like LG. Serious DEja Vu....

PS Can someone address the questions for hero creation as a high tech with body armor....

To be fair...

In the comics the hero's take a LONG time to improve and new powers commonly come into play as some kind of core story hook, not just because the hero wanted too..

To encourage that I would have done the same thing Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, has done with the Karma.. but I would have lowed the cost of talents across the board, and maybe even cut down the amount of times/karma cost to master a power stunt.

Thus encouraging players to get better at what they do instead of focusing on new powers.

New powers would be limited to in game events, which I would craft with the player..
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:51 pm

So It was discussed at the Arcanis game day..

If you want to make a new hero you need to give up one of your current characters... and lose any Karma you may have gained with them in the process...

I'm on the fence, I may be dropping Mr. Fantastic and going with my made up hero.

- before you all think I'm nuts, here is my case.. you can not play Mr. Fantastic the way he is in the books without being ultra weak or turning him into a Gadgeter that can put Batman to shame. If I'm going to play Mr. Fantastic I want to play the one in the comics not the one I'm forced to play to be effective.

Case in point, only way to deal any real melee damage with him is by charging, please refer to the comics and see the way he fights, the last thing he does is charge into melee.. he makes his fist huge and slaps people around.

Also, he never carries around equipment/weapons.. he makes them as he needs them.. and the kit bashing rules SUCK.

Trust me I can pimp him out with a

- Shift X forcefield belt
- Force Net Gun (Shift X force field grappling from 5 areas away)
- Monstrous Stunning AI in a glove (which has Amazing Int so it can assist me on rolls)

But that would not be playing Mr. Fantastic the way he is in the books

If I want to play him as support...some other toys for my teammates..Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, already said NO to all of these BTW

- Teleport Pad in the Avengers Mention anyone? Shift X Teleporting that is...
- Pimp Jackets (so much better then the Avenger ones)
- Headset Communications system
- Palm Computers with access to the Avengers Database...

Need I say more?
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 am

Lord Neden wrote:Peter,

Mr. Fantastic is too much character for you.

Three questions:
1- What does Mr. Fantastic normally "create" when it comes to items?
2- Who does he normally make items, if any, for?
3- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, WHY DOES HE MAKE THESE GADGETS?

Correct, he commonly makes things on the fly when he needs them.. and we both know how crapy the kit bashing rules are.,

Lord Neden wrote:When it comes to combat, what does Mr. Fantastic normally do? Does he do damage? Or does he use his intellect to "divide and conquer?" Doesn't he also instruct the Fantastic Four so that they defeat the enemies in the best way possible, minimizing damage and saving the most possible lives?

You would be surprised.. I read up on FF comics before playing him.. believe it or not, Mr. Fantastic gets into the scrap quite often.. his most common attack is to make his fist as big as a door and punch people with it.

Hell there are a few comics where he uses his ability to add mussel mass to his body, I know its strange, but he has done it.

He is also quite fond of grappling,,,

So, while you are correct, you missed out on fact that he does fight quite often....

Lord Neden wrote:When it comes to Mr. Fantastic, he isn't about slapping people with a stun gun.

Correct BUT he makes his fist as large as a small car and hits people with it..... something I can't do in the rules according to Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,.

Lord Neden wrote: He doesn't create ironman armor for all his "friends," after all, wouldn't that be a problem if they end up turning on him? Or worse, the world?

Correct, BUT he did create better uniforms (see body armor) for the fantastic four as well as powered space armor for all the members of the team. (which is the equivalent to the Jackets I wanted to make the avengers)

Lord Neden wrote:Mr. Fantastic is just too complicated a character Peter. Its hard to play him because he is all about restraint.

I would not go so far to say that... I have read quite a few comics where he made the first move.

Lord Neden wrote:Now, thinking of all those questions. Ask your self, seriously... is a stun palm device really necessary? How about those vests of armor you were talking about? And the teleportation device... what can an item like that be used for if it got into the wrong hands? What happens if the other side of the teleportation device was taken control of by, oh I don't know... Dr. Doom?

See above, almost everything I proposed I proposed because he did it for the FF at some point....

except for the teleport pad.. which BTW doom already has :oP
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 am

Lord Neden wrote:Peter,

Mr. Fantastic is too much character for you.

Three questions:
1- What does Mr. Fantastic normally "create" when it comes to items?
2- Who does he normally make items, if any, for?
3- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, WHY DOES HE MAKE THESE GADGETS?

Correct, he commonly makes things on the fly when he needs them.. and we both know how crapy the kit bashing rules are.,

Lord Neden wrote:When it comes to combat, what does Mr. Fantastic normally do? Does he do damage? Or does he use his intellect to "divide and conquer?" Doesn't he also instruct the Fantastic Four so that they defeat the enemies in the best way possible, minimizing damage and saving the most possible lives?

You would be surprised.. I read up on FF comics before playing him.. believe it or not, Mr. Fantastic gets into the scrap quite often.. his most common attack is to make his fist as big as a door and punch people with it.

Hell there are a few comics where he uses his ability to add mussel mass to his body, I know its strange, but he has done it.

He is also quite fond of grappling,,,

So, while you are correct, you missed out on fact that he does fight quite often....

Lord Neden wrote:When it comes to Mr. Fantastic, he isn't about slapping people with a stun gun.

Correct BUT he makes his fist as large as a small car and hits people with it..... something I can't do in the rules according to Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,.

Lord Neden wrote: He doesn't create ironman armor for all his "friends," after all, wouldn't that be a problem if they end up turning on him? Or worse, the world?

Correct, BUT he did create better uniforms (see body armor) for the fantastic four as well as powered space armor for all the members of the team. (which is the equivalent to the Jackets I wanted to make the avengers)

Lord Neden wrote:Mr. Fantastic is just too complicated a character Peter. Its hard to play him because he is all about restraint.

I would not go so far to say that... I have read quite a few comics where he made the first move.

Lord Neden wrote:Now, thinking of all those questions. Ask your self, seriously... is a stun palm device really necessary? How about those vests of armor you were talking about? And the teleportation device... what can an item like that be used for if it got into the wrong hands? What happens if the other side of the teleportation device was taken control of by, oh I don't know... Dr. Doom?

See above, almost everything I proposed I proposed because he did it for the FF at some point....

except for the teleport pad.. which BTW doom already has :oP
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:14 pm

I just want someone to answer how you would prepare a hero like a hightech (ironman) or a metamorph or a changeling... do the each have 200points how do you establish the armor bonus? on a metamorph how to you get the powers and abilities does it have to add up to 200?

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:09 pm

teknoblade wrote:I just want someone to answer how you would prepare a hero like a hightech (ironman) or a metamorph or a changeling... do the each have 200points how do you establish the armor bonus? on a metamorph how to you get the powers and abilities does it have to add up to 200?

Wing it but try and be fair... put your self in the GM seat and ask yourself if it was in the spirit of the rules instead of simply living by the words.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:40 am

New characters really don't matter, UNLESS someone wants to run a home game. How many mods can possibly be left? The MX series came out late in the game. A point based system works alot better for DC than Marvel.
Breaking mods with disposable items.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, has said that this game will continue after we are done with the mods..

how true that is, well thats yet to be seen
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:29 pm

I have committed myself to adapting and running a mod and I agreed to let people try out their new characters. After seeing the utter cheesey broken BS that Jose is trying to pull, we need to lay out a few more ground rules.

1) Ultimate Skill. A mental enhancement power that gives a pc a cheap Unearthly ability. If Jose thinks he is going to shell out 14 points and get 7 Unearthly combat abilities, he's got another thing coming. I have 2 solutions. Either Ultimate Skill is a double power that can be bought for 20 points per talent, or I will pull Jose's favorite argument that the Ultimate Powers Handbook overrules the Players Guide. And since Ultimate Skill is not listed in the UPH, the power no longer exists and therefore cannot be used.

2) Power Stunts. No starting character comes equiped with power stunts. Especially power stunts that are double cost powers.

3) Equipment. Body Armor should be bought at power ranks. Extra powers attached to said body armor should be bought at rank per power. If you want to blow 50 points of character creation to get AM resources so you can buy equipment, that equipment should be previewed by the Judge before it comes into play.

4) the humble *. Powers and talents marked with * cost double.

5) The Spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. Marvel was originally menat to be a random roll system. Jose took the point buy system and in is best power gaming rules lawyering self, abused the hell out of them. There is no way that Craft is considered playable as currently written.
Breaking mods with disposable items.

Return to “Earth 617”