Campaign Rules Discussion

System: Classic Marvel Super Heroes Campaign
GM: MorganWolf
teknoblade
I really like Roleplaying

Re: Campaign Rules Discussion

Postby teknoblade » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:49 pm

"Shielding: This tactic involves putting something between the target and the attacker, usually an inanimate abject but sometimes, in the case of hero leaping into the fray to stop an attack on another individual, a character himself."

"In the first case, the hero may decide to use something as a shield as an initial action or as a changed action after initiative is rolled. If it is an initial action, the hero may perform another action in addition to the action. "
This is extremely powerful and only makes sence to be found in the special tactics section. From what I can understand, the balance seems to be in the potential for -CS. It a little overpowered though as it defends all attacks and allows him the additional action.

If a changed action, the hero may perform no other action that round than shielding. It seemed that the benefit of the additional action is what is sacrificed in addition to the -CS for a changed action penalty.

In either case, all other FEATs attempted in that round, including combat are -2CS unless the object used as a shield is a device or object commonly used by the hero in that way (the hero is comfortable using the device defensively). The material strength of the item is used as a form of Body Armor against the attack (if a garbage can lid is used as a shield, it will provide Poor (4) protection). This applies only to physical attacks and similar attacks that may be deflected in this manner. This form of defense may be used against Slugfest, Throwing, Shooting, and Charging attacks, but not Grappling and Grabbing attacks.

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:06 am

Ralf must have been using the "as seen in the comics" rule for the Silver Samurai, for I cannot find any evidence or special ability in any of the Silver Samurai's character stats (except for a basic rules blurb) that allows him to block all kinds of attacks with his very narrow tachyon field(only covers the sword).

The Black Knights Ebony Blade has special anti-magic properties that allow him to block spells with an UN shield. The Ebony Blade can also absorb and reflect energy attacks (a potential power stunt).

Thor can "spin" Mjolner to create a shield effect. Same with Beta-Ray Bill.

What needs to be discussed would be a form of "reactive shielding". Capt. America, Sue Storm, and most of the telekinetics have always been able to throw up a force field (or bring their shield in front of them) to avoid a last second attack. Would these heroes require a -1CS on their Intuitions in order to bring up an emergency shield (probably a Karma costing Yellow or possibly Red result)?
Would the teleporters get the same type of Intuition feat roll to suddenly teleport away while a bomb is going off? (Say, to notice that strange sound that gasoline-filled lightbulb is making just as you flipped the switch?)
Breaking mods with disposable items.

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:11 pm

bring up a shield is totally up to the hero, whether before an attack or as a "readied action". Every one of these heroes has been taken by surprise or knowcked on their as by an unexpected attack. The rules allow for limited reactions to establish a balance for the powers as it would be really easy for someone to acquire a protective power or equipment.

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:13 am

So, just to know but I was thinking of developing a Force Field Punch Power that allows me to gain +1CS to my physical attacks. IE one that covers my hand to punch and fore arm when I shield. I got the idea from robotech. I don’t want a force field power and to be quite honest felt it was wrong to approve it for heavy hitters as its is just not a good idea. I would even be willing to limit the use for 1-10 turns.

I would like to be using this instead of the brass knuckles rules, which I could pull off for just about free (ie a few rolls)

So tell me how we can make this work.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:47 pm

Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, I wanted to clarify the "Cryo Leg" I have with Forge and establish the rules for it if you are amenable to this suggestion:

There is no "damage" per se, instead the target must make a YELLOW FEAT ENDURANCE roll or be frozen (this leg ability is available once per session).
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:11 pm

RULE
An Edged Attack is an attack with claws. teeth, or edged weapons such as knives, swords, or hatchets. This is the renamed version of the Hack 'N Stash column of the Original Set. A character making an edged attack may score a Hit, Stun. or Kill result. An edged attack will always inflict a minimum of the damage listed for that weapon. A character who can normally inflict higher damage may inflict damage equal to his Strength or the material strength of the weapon, whichever is less. Such damage may not be reduced in effect.
• A character scoring a Hit result inflicts damage as set for that particular edged attack (click here to see info
about Weapons).
• A character scoring a Stun result may inflict damage as set for that weapon or attack form, and may in addition Stun his opponent.
• A character scoring a Kill result inflicts damage as set for that weapon, and may in addition Kill his opponent.

IN GAME
Quasar is more then capable of forming blades of POWER RANK Minimum Damage and Marterial Strength. An example of this is that Wolverines Claws can do up to Monstrous Damage with only his Excellent Strength. Alternately, If a stronger hero (>Ex) were to pick either the Black Knight's or Shatterstar's Blade they would inflict higher damage may inflict damage equal to his Strength or the material strength of the weapon, whichever is less. This could easily be explained by the fact that Quasar can make blades thinner and sharper then most while still maintaining POWER RANK material strength.

ALTERNATIVELY, A character using a blunt weapon inflicts up to that item's material strength; if the material strength of the item is greater than the Strength rank of the user, the user's Strength rank is increased to the lowest value of the next rank for damage.

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:58 pm

I'm thinking of working out some player cards for the marvel game to help cover the basic defensive and attack options. Much like the D&D 4.0 did for the campaign.

Example; Shielding, blocking, charging, etc.

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Question: When Updating heroes that you have already improved through the use of karma or ect are the associated +1CS for attributes cumulative...

EX. Eros Str increases to AM in the Avengers Chronicles and the latter stated adventures. IF I had used Karma to increase his Str before this does it increase again?

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 pm

Invisibility to Machines: Colossus has Unearthly (100) invisibility to cameras and other mechanical devices. He cannot be photographed or detected by sensors or robots.

Ok, so the logic that the "MAGICAL SPELL" that cloaks a few X-Men on our team doesnt extend to regular gear that they may be carrying or utilizing sounds rather clumsy. I mean lets think about this Colossus is a reasonable people but Psylocke is a fashion model. There is no way you are going to get her to wear the exact uniform that the spell was originally cast onto. Not to mention that the team went through two uniform changes during the time they were cloaked and didnt seem to lack communicators, jackets, and other gear.

Studying S19 that we will assume the "MAGICAL SPELL" at the least follows...At Good rank and higher, the invisibility range can be extended to cover other sections of the energy spectrum (infrared and ultraviolet light, radiowaves, hard radiation); this also bestows immunity to attacks using these forms. At these levels the hero can also extend the area of invisibility beyond his body. This permits the hero to protect others and,
more importantly, to wear clothing. (H.G. Wells' Invisible Man was unable to even conceal undigested food within his body.)

This seems to support that the spell should cover at the least regular clothing and equipment (ie shield and weapons, not a 50 ton aircraft).

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:50 pm

PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND...
Note: If a weapon hits a material of higher material strength (knife against the Hulk's skin), there is a chance of it breaking as if purposely attempting to break the weapon. Make a Breaking FEAT roll, comparing the material strength of the object and either the Strength of the wielder or the material strength or Body Armor of the target.
Example: Black Knight attacks Hulk with a regular sword (his Ebony Blade is being polished). Sword is Excellent material, Hulk's Body Armor is Monstrous, and Black Knight's Strength is Good. The attack inflicts no damage, and a second check is made, Good Strength breaking an Excellent material sword, to see if the blade breaks.

WE HAVE BEEN PLAYING THIS RULE WRONG....
IF YOU USE A BUNT ATTACK THE DAMAGE IS EQUAL TO.. EDGE (A powerful character may inflict up to his Strength or the material strength of the object in damage, whichever is less) OR BLUNT (A character using a blunt weapon inflicts up to that item's material strength; if the material strength of the item is greater than the Strength rank of the user, the user's Strength rank is increased to the lowest value of the next rank for damage.)

THE BREAKING RULE IS ONLY TRIGGERED IF THE MATERIAL STR OF THE TARGET IS GREATER THEN THAT OF THE ATTACKING WEAPON.

EX. IF ICEMAN ATTACKS WITH A CHARGE AND DOES 106 DAMAGE WITH HIS UN (100) MATERIAL STR SHIELD... IT CAN ONLY BREAK IF THE SENTINEL HE HITS IS MADE OF A GREATER STR MATERIAL.

MorganWolf
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby MorganWolf » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:08 am

Revised!!! Advanced Campaign House Rules
There are now NEW revised rules for the purchase of TALENTS and acquiring more Karma personal to your character!!!
Let me know your thoughts on it.

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Concerning Talents.

Certain heroes are LACKING certain talents.

All SHIELD agents have the Military, First-Aid, and Detective/Espionage Talents.(From the Gamers Handbook to the MU #4).
Magik should have Mystic Background(by the rules), Occult Lore, and Student.
All the X-Men and New Mutants (students of Prof. X's) should have resist domination.(From the X-Men Boxed Set).
Hank Pym should have robotics and computers. According to the rules, you cannot create an AI (like Ultron or Rover) without the computer talent. And the creator of Ultron, Rover, and some other adamantium coated robot from my insane "wife-beating" days most definitely has the Robotics Talent. If Ultron has the Robotics talent, and Ultron's mind was based on Hank's, then Hank should have the Robotics talent.
And just wait until Hank Pym picks up the medicne talent. Nobel Prize, here I come!!!

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:04 pm

ScrollMasterRob wrote:Concerning Talents.

Certain heroes are LACKING certain talents.

All SHIELD agents have the Military, First-Aid, and Detective/Espionage Talents.(From the Gamers Handbook to the MU #4).
Magik should have Mystic Background(by the rules), Occult Lore, and Student.
All the X-Men and New Mutants (students of Prof. X's) should have resist domination.(From the X-Men Boxed Set).
Hank Pym should have robotics and computers. According to the rules, you cannot create an AI (like Ultron or Rover) without the computer talent. And the creator of Ultron, Rover, and some other adamantium coated robot from my insane "wife-beating" days most definitely has the Robotics Talent. If Ultron has the Robotics talent, and Ultron's mind was based on Hank's, then Hank should have the Robotics talent.
And just wait until Hank Pym picks up the medicne talent. Nobel Prize, here I come!!!

::sighs:::

stop trying! I had this battle like a year ago... really, just let it go
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 am

NEVER!!!! Ican nag better than ANY ex-wife that hasn't received child support payments in months.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:58 pm

ScrollMasterRob wrote:NEVER!!!! Ican nag better than ANY ex-wife that hasn't received child support payments in months.

LOL

your time to waste
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Earth 617”