Campaign Rules Discussion

System: Classic Marvel Super Heroes Campaign
GM: MorganWolf
ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Re: Campaign Rules Discussion

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:26 am

We should QUIT WASTING GAME TIME by nitpicking the rules and powers. We ARGUE from 45 minutes to an hour each session. When I run the Kulan-Gath scenario, all powers will be played as shown in the comic books-not as dragged out in various rule books.
Breaking mods with disposable items.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:02 pm

Dont get me started
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

teknoblade
I really like Roleplaying

Postby teknoblade » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:03 pm

teknoblade wrote:Changing Actions: After making an initiative roll, an action that sounded so good a moment ago sounds like not such a great idea afterwards. Example: Both you and an opponent dive for a gun kicked across the floor. You roll a 1 for initiative. It may be time to re-examine your options. Changing an action requires a yellow Agility FEAT, and any FEATs made after changing are at a penalty of one column shift to the left(-1CS).
The roll for changing actions takes place in the pre-action phase of the turn.

Just to recap, being that this takes place in the pre-action phase of the turn... you can change things like defensive action... shielding, blocking, evading, etc.

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:27 pm

ScrollMasterRob wrote:We should QUIT WASTING GAME TIME by nitpicking the rules and powers. We ARGUE from 45 minutes to an hour each session. When I run the Kulan-Gath scenario, all powers will be played as shown in the comic books-not as dragged out in various rule books.

I'm only going to say this once.... if you dont want to waste time at the game with rules on how your power works I recommend everyone look up thier powers in the UPB and work out every detail on the boards. Ralf doesnt remember everything but at least make sure to get it in writting and keep it on hand.

The character write-ups are pretty but half are incomplete and though some have exceptions to rules, most expect you to at the very least learn all associated rules. Also remember that the basic rules were updated to the advanced rules along with the UPB. These changes were done to balance the game and limit certain powers.

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:04 am

?How was Cannonball protected from the gas attack that hit him? I cant seem to locate any stat for him that gives him life support or the like.

Count Nefaria has Hyper-Speed nothing exotic. The 5 attacks per round was correct, as was the movement phase, but they are nothing more then power feats. This is an example of taking a power out of context. Quicksilver has the ability to make 10 some attacks and can move much further but the rules are there for a reason. As does Northstar which has the very same power. It doesnt mean that he could split his movement phase and attack phase. Its past us now though so lets just keep it in mind for later. Also, he doesnt seem to have FLIGHT.

Kurse was run dead on surprisingly... he is protected from "all types of attacks". VERY SWEET.

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:43 am

Concerning Illyana's teleportation power

Illyana's power derives from her mutant power-probably attuned to Limbo when Belasco tried to do the whole "soul Binding" bit. Every time she travels, the first stop is limbo, the second stop is wherever she is going. She has teleported a maximum of 10 people and a horse-the other 8 New Mutants, the Enchantress, Brightwind, and herself, directly to Limbo. She has sent herself on interstellar distances-completely on accident while the rest of the team was scattered through time. I am assuming it is a form of Dimesnional Travel-a teleport discs that can cover at least 1 area.

First, we need to establish just how big an area is. The area is defined in the players guide on pgs 19-20 as an area of 44 sq.yards or 1/2 a city block, or it varies depending on the map that the judge is using. I would say that Illyana could get everything in a 30 foot square-so we should arrange 10 figs and the horse on the generic 1" square map and figure out the maximum size of the area of her teleportation discs-give them a little elbow room.

Second, we need to establish how long it takes to travel to dimensions. Comic book wise, the 3 turn rule under T16/Teleport Others would have spelled death for the New Mutants over and over again-the comics clearly show a quick transition. None of Illyana's team-mates has ever shown signs of disorientation-except in the case of accidental time travel. Also, T16 relies on the characters STRENGTH levels. Clearly, Illyana's power calls for a PSYCHE feat roll-under T16, an Amazing Strength teleport others can affect 500 targets-thats alot of people.

I have no problem making an agility FEAT to catch a moving target-Illyana once intercepted Capt. America's shield. Also, the -1CS per 10 feet of distance to the target is not a problem-but we still need to figure out the maximum size of the teleport disc. If Illyana can produce a large disc, it would be difficult for someone to dodge. I would accept a ruling that Illyana can only target one creature at a time on a personal size disc if she is not making the trip to Limbo and a large disc if she is going along for the ride.

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 pm

T16/Teleport Self: The hero can vanish at one location and instantly reappear at a distant site. He does not physically. cross the intervening distance and is not affected by most physical barriers. Column E of the Range Table shows the maximum distance a hero can Teleport. Teleportation always occurs, but the hero must make a Power FEAT to see how well he makes the trip. Failure means he arrives disoriented and cannot take any actions the following turn. The hero can carry along anything he is touching (except the ground on which he stands), up to his Strength's weight limit. Passengers must make a green Endurance FEAT or be disoriented for 1-10 turns. As the hero rematerializes, gases and liquids move aside before he solidifies. Normal safeguards prevent the hero from consciously Teleporting into a solid mass. If the hero accidentally teleports into a solid, he must make an Endurance FEAT. Success means the hero instinctively jumped to another location and promptly fainted for 1-10 turns. Failure means the hero takes damage equal to twice the solid's Material Strength or actual Strength, if the blockage was a living being. In the latter case, that being takes equal damage. Certain conditions can prevent the hero from Teleporting. If the hero doesn't know where he is, psychological blockage may prevent him from consciously Teleporting. Extremely dense materials like Neutronium or black holes are impassable. Barriers that incorporate such Powers as Power Negation, Force Field vs. either Energy or Magic, or True Invulnerability are also impassable at higher rank.
The Optional Powers are Teleport Others and Clairvoyance.

T16/Teleport Others: The hero can make any target except his own body vanish and instantly reappear at a distant site. The target does not physically cross the intervening distance and is unaffected by most physical barriers. Column E of the Range Table shows the maximum distance the hero can Teleport a passenger.
Teleportation always occurs if the passenger is immobile or touching the hero. The passenger must make an
yellow Endurance FEAT to see how he fared. Failure means disorientation for 1-10 turns. If the passenger is uncooperative or in motion, the hero must make an Agility FEAT to catch him. In addition, each 10 feet of distance separating the hero and passenger increases the Power rank -1CS. The Power can teleport a mass equal to the hero's Strength limit. This may be a single object or any number, so long as the weight limit isn't exceeded. If the hero is trying to exceed his limit, he only Teleports part of the mass. Living targets are ransported intact; if a being weighs too much it simply won't Teleport. Only the amount of non-living material that within the limit is Teleported; the rest is left behind.
Example: The Teleportation beam
aboard the spaceship Jenni Lea has
Excellent rank and can handle up to 800
pounds of material. A emergency
required the evacuation of five people
(average weight 200 lbs.) and their
equipment. The Teleportation beam
sorted out its load before taking effect.
Only four of the crewmen were
teleported in the first turn. The fifth
crewman, the equipment, and the clothes
the other four had previously been
wearing arrived on the next go-round.
The hero can consciously try to
Teleport sections of a target; the effect is
as if the hero had used an extremely fine
scalpel. Such Teleportational dissection
requires a Power FEAT whose intensity
is equal to the material strength of a
nonliving target or the actual Strength of
a living target. Heroes with Medical
Talents can develop this type of exotic
surgery as a Power Stunt.
Certain conditions can prevent the
passage of a Teleportation beam.
Neutronium and black holes are
impassable. Barriers that incorporate
such Powers as Force Field vs. either
Energy or Magic, Power Negation, or
True Invulnerability are impenetrable if
their Intensity ranks are greater than this
Power's rank.
The act of Teleportation takes three
turns. The first turn the hero affects the
target. The second turn the actual
transportation occurs. The third turn the
target rematerializes. Only on the fourth
turn can the hero seek another target.
Optional Powers include Teleport Self
and Clairvoyance.

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Illyana uses DIMENSIONAL TRAVEL-from ?? to Limbo to ??. There may be a form of ritual magic involved using a mechanism, as shown in the example in the UPB on pg. 42. She could be casting a spell instead of using some form of mutant power, thus changing the character completely-making Illyana an adept of teleportation and dispelling on Earth while being able to cast Sorcerer Supreme level spells in Limbo. The UPB is only making power interpretation a complete pain in the @$$.

MorganWolf
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby MorganWolf » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:52 am

I have no problem making an agility FEAT to catch a moving target-Illyana once intercepted Capt. America's shield. Also, the -1CS per 10 feet of distance to the target is not a problem-but we still need to figure out the maximum size of the teleport disc. If Illyana can produce a large disc, it would be difficult for someone to dodge. I would accept a ruling that Illyana can only target one creature at a time on a personal size disc if she is not making the trip to Limbo and a large disc if she is going along for the ride.

As stated you will need to make 2 rolls when summoning disks as follows:
1. power rank roll to succeed to destination(must be specific to location limbo or exact place named)
2. make pysche attack roll to get disk underneath person (more difficult if they dodge)
--- we will speak aout muliple disks soon

>the -1CS per 10 feet of distance to the target is not a problem-but we still need to figure out the maximum >size of the teleport disc.
acceptable- 1 area size is what you will get according to the teleport description in the players book.

The UPB is only making power interpretation a complete pain in the @$$.

the players book is noted unless UPB is more clearer, thats how we try to determine rules interpretation

>Illyana can only target one creature at a time on a personal size disc if she is not making the trip to Limbo
acceptable- but the 3 round rule shouldn't be a problem and it will only be for unwilling targets otherwise when you are in the teleport its a 1 round effect

>a large disc if she is going along for the ride
acceptable- It will be a 1 round teleport as long as you are in it because it would count as you teleporting because you are.

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:16 pm

Now we need to figure out Illyana's magic ability on Earth. New Mutants #'s14-21 CLEARLY show that Illyana can cast spells on Earth. In issue 14, she uses eldritch bindings, eldritch bolts (probably at only Gd levels because S'ym was completely unaffected until the SoulSword came into play) and some form of memory adjustment on Stevie Hunter (probably also at Gd-as Stevie is only a normal Human). She has also shown the ability to heal herself in Limbo-definitely a 2 part ritual plus time.

The mystic wards that she put up at the hospital to keep the "Demon Bear" (issues18-20) out of the OR and the generator room are clealy stromger than GD. These probably start at Am (her psyche lvl) and move down 1 CS for each additional ward.

Also, an inanimate object with no special abilities (Capt. America's shield or Hercules' Mace vs Thor's Hammer with the returning enchantment)should not take a 3 round transition time to get to limbo. Same with an unconscious, possessed, or mind controlled people. Transition from Earth to Limbo and Limbo to Earth should be automatic under normal circumstances-a green roll at most for routine travel, and a yellow result for combat-summoning, evacuation, or sending someone away.

Lastly, we need some stats and powers for random demons-I am not always going to be able to get S'ym or N'astirh. Summoned demons should suffer a -1CS on all powers and abilities when not in Limbo.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:25 pm

ScrollMasterRob wrote:Now we need to figure out Illyana's magic ability on Earth. New Mutants #'s14-21 CLEARLY show that Illyana can cast spells on Earth. In issue 14, she uses eldritch bindings, eldritch bolts (probably at only Gd levels because S'ym was completely unaffected until the SoulSword came into play) and some form of memory adjustment on Stevie Hunter (probably also at Gd-as Stevie is only a normal Human). She has also shown the ability to heal herself in Limbo-definitely a 2 part ritual plus time.

As Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, has told me more then once "he dosint care what some writer does"

I have been fighting him on Gambit's Psi-shield.. his mind is VERY hard to read, even professor X has had issues trying to read him....
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

MorganWolf
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby MorganWolf » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:15 pm

Lastly, we need some stats and powers for random demons-I am not always going to be able to get S'ym or N'astirh. Summoned demons should suffer a -1CS on all powers and abilities when not in Limbo.

Don't worry I have exact stats for Limbo demons straight from TSR mavel, but understand limbo demons cause karma loss because they are evil entitys summoned only under dire situations. S'ym is very powerful and will cause a bigger karma loss.

As Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, has told me more then once "he dosint care what some writer does"

What I told peter was that different writers sometimes do things that are not listed with what their powers show in marvel TSR game. To keep perspective with the character and not let the powers list of the character go rampart to keep balance, I told peter he can work toward that mind shield wih karma as long as he pays for it and gives me at least 5 instances of the power for 1/2 price or pay full if he cannot.

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:56 am

Gambit's psi-shield makes him hard to read, not impossible to read. Ply him with liquor, drug him up, or knock him out, and he would be alot easier to read.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:08 am

ScrollMasterRob wrote:Gambit's psi-shield makes him hard to read, not impossible to read. Ply him with liquor, drug him up, or knock him out, and he would be alot easier to read.

Rob i gave up on this fight a long time ago... when Rlaph said and I quoite "the Marvel.com website is not offical" I just gave up the fight

Now I'm planing on taking gambit in another direction... after the events of Secret Wars...Gambit is leaving the X-Men.. and is now working to form X-Force just a little early in the timeline... but there is no way that Gambit is staying in the X-Mansion and being lead by Magnito...

BTW Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, heads up.... chances are Storm is leaving as well beast & strong guy.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:19 pm

So I noted that not one rule discussion for the past week +, guess everyone read every book..

Return to “Earth 617”