Campaign Rules Discussion

System: Classic Marvel Super Heroes Campaign
GM: MorganWolf
teknoblade
I really like Roleplaying

Campaign Rules Discussion

Postby teknoblade » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:41 pm

This topic seeming disappeared or was deleted by misteak. Please post only questions and/or suggestions to general questions here for final approval and rulings.

Additionally, I recommended to Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, that each character post questions and/or suggestions for thier characters under a sepparate heading. This way you only have to read what you are interested in learning.

teknoblade

Re: Campaign Rules Discussion

Postby teknoblade » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:53 pm

RULES FOR UTILIZING RESOURCES ARE STILL PENDING? ANY UPDATES?

Rookie

Postby Rookie » Tue May 12, 2009 11:59 pm

Hello All,

Been a while since I hear anything about a Marvel Campaign. Is this game online or do you host regular games? Sorry, Would also like to know where, when, and how? Those websites rock for content, I though I would never see that table again, much less the expansion books.

I read the rules section already but there are a lot of threads to go through still. Are there any rules for the board I should know about?

David

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Wed May 13, 2009 12:59 am

We play on the weekends near Miami International Mall on Saturdays , though sometimes on Sundays. Where are you located, tell us about yourself? The game is run by the great dictator Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, (Morganwolf). Try sending him a few direct messages and read through the posted rules if your interested in joining a game.

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Tue May 19, 2009 2:12 am

Page 27, Dodging is an Agility Ability, and reduces the attacking column shift. A character who is Dodging may move only half his speed in any turn, may not engage in a charging attack, and may perform only one other action that turn, maximum (including making an attack).

A character who is Dodging makes an Agility FEAT at the start of the turn, as soon as Initiative is determined. That FEAT will determine the reduced effect of attacks on the character. The result may be no shift, a -2, -4, or -6CS shift on any attacks stated in the first part of the round. This means that the character may only dodge attacks of which he is aware. A character may not dodge an unexpected attack, such as a sniper who suddenly appears, an ally who makes an attack, or someone behind the character. (Blindsiding)

Powers may modify this rule, the most notable being the Spider-Sense possessed by the Amazing Spider-Man. In any event, a character who is making a Dodging attack makes any FEAT rolls in that turn at a -2 CS penalty.

WELL THIS MEAN RALF WAS HALF RIGHT THOUGH HE DIDNT KNOW IT. THE SITUATION WAS A BLINDSIDE AND MAYBE EVEN AN AMBUSH FOR EITHER +2CS OR +3CS. ONLY ROGUE COUL HAVE DODGE BUT EVERYONE ELSE COULD STILL SHIELD. ESPECIALLY WITH ALL THAT EXTRA GEAR.

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Thu May 21, 2009 12:40 am

So Dodging affects mulitple attacks and Evading states that only one opponent can be affected, but what about Blocking? It only says that you can use it to shield an ally behind you but not if it effects multiple attackers. I would say yes but it requires separate rolls. Unless someon finds something..

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Fri May 29, 2009 2:21 pm

thetrickygnome wrote:
Who determines if you are roleplaying the character correctly, because I've already been penalized for roleplaying a character the way she battles in the comics.

The Gamemaster. You present your argument and if he or she says "No" then you deal with it. If they say
"I see your point" then good for you. Anyways, this is starting to drift off topic so let's try to bring it back
to it's original intent. I was not going to post on this thread at all but I gave in. I'll be more judicious in the
future ( hopefully ).

This argument would presumably take place at the game from what I have seen and typically eats up an hour or two of gametime. Personally I would think this would be done on the boards, but Ralf wants to do everything IRL and to be honest he doesnt have the time. Also because Ralf never gives any reason to support his adjucation for roleplaying penalties and/or rewards, it is nearly impossible for anyone to correct their actions or his misjudgement.

Ultimately though if this is going to be resolved at the sessions then I prefer to just let the +10 KARMA go as it just not worth it.

thetrickygnome
Slave to this message board
Slave to this message board

Postby thetrickygnome » Fri May 29, 2009 2:47 pm

It takes that long to resolve because we cannot judge whether a PC is playing in or out of character until
they have actually played out the encounter at hand. Ex: Suppose I'm playing Spiderman - if I decide to
play Spiderman as a gruff, serious loner who basically tells people to screw off and that he can handle his
own business and does not use his webbing at all or with little creativity then I am not roleplaying the
character right. However the Gamemaster cannot penalize or reward me until he or she has seen me play
Spiderman in this manner and within a given encounter. At encounters happen DURING the game so this
issue will come up primarily DURING the game.

My opinion is just tell the Gamemaster "I do not agree with you but I will resolve this with you after the
game so as to not bog the game down." and just move forward. I won'y say arguing it on the boards is a
waste of time but between the tangents that people go on and the way that internet communication does
not often convey things the way we want it just better to do it in person and after the game is done.

Ultimately the decision is the Gamemasters and things don't always go out way as players....such as the
ridiculous expense in karma of kit bashing arrows that are one-shot deals after giving the impression that
doing so was both feasible and not entirely costly. But of course I'M NOT BITTER AT ALL ABOUT THIS
because when I run out of arrows I can always pick up pieces of planetary rock and toss them at people.
Never mind that 90% of the villians there have at least Good body armor against physical attacks or that
I have a finite supply of decent arrows. Oh no, clearly other characters who can do Unearthly damage with
physical or energy attacks continuously are FAR WORSE OFF THAN I AM. I love Hawkeye but the mod writer
who included him in Secret Wars was an ass clown.

By the way I'm just kidding about the bitterness.. well slightly at least.

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Fri May 29, 2009 3:47 pm

I moved my post you can go ahead and delted my other opne.

You were in energy form the whole time I think that was Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,'s beef not that you didn't go to sleep. In the comics Pulsar reverts to her normal form all the time.

MiMiC has same power but for 8 hours I had him sleep and play games in the game room maybe next time have pulsar join him for that and other extracurricular activities.

My mod is epic in nature like secret wars but I plan on making pretty hard. The bad guys will have huge advantage. I may adopt a Karma award based on Secret Wars.

Then you said

In the comic secret wars she reverted to human form to talk, bath, when she was knocked out while bathing, when she picked up her friends. All the other time she was in energy form especially while in a threatened environment or in combat.

I dont see how me choosing for her to actually stay and stand outside along side thor, even after the storm, would be wrong. After the storm passed I was the only hero outside on lookout, as thor left to get some immortal bootie. Was the bathing seen of her naked really that important for roleplaying that it crossed the line?

Thor patrol had nothing to do with it. In 2 days of game play you were in energy body %99.44 of the time.

I rest my case you never took a bath ;) You must have had some stinky ozone smell about your character from staying in energy body too long. That must have been very unsettling to the Beyonder.

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Fri May 29, 2009 4:30 pm

Well according to the phone coversation with Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, he associated roleplaying with my not interacting with the team and using my heroes power of invisibility. Apparently, even though I am outside in a storm on a roof top Monica is suppose to remain in her human form regardless of the radiation. When I stated this, he said I was supposed to be inside interacting with the team and not outside. Conclusion... He doesnt know what is happening on the table and who is doing what and expects us to go by exactly what happens in the comic. Then, he said it was because I was snipping while invisible, I guess no one can ever play the Invisible Woman and hope to gain KARMA.

The sollution is simple, since apparently it is all oppinion and no fact, I'll be rolling for an energy sword and bracers(bucklers), then switch here look in mortal form to...

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:34 pm

M14/Hyper-Invention: This is a special form of Hyper-intelligence that is common enough to merit its own classification. It is a permanent enhancement of the hero's overall intelligence that is channeled into the field of mechanical design and engineering.
The hero is an Edison-like genius who take existing materials and technologies and use them to create new devices or applied technologies. He can repair previously operational devices, even if the device was of an unknown type.
The hero can learn new technologies at a rate determined by his rank, the complexity of the technology, and the amount of instruction available. Modern technology requires an Excellent Intensity FEAT. Advanced technology requires a Remarkable Intensity FEAT. Alien or futuristic technology vary from Incredible Intensity (Shi'ar) to Unearthly (the Watcher). The color of the FEAT is determined by the amount of instruction the hero receives. A green FEAT requires instructional materials that explain the technology (a teacher, books, holocubes). A yellow FEAT is required if the hero has access to materials not specially designed to instruct someone in that technology (readouts, performance specs, operating manuals, a copy of a working device). A red FEAT is required if all the hero is has an inoperational device if that technology.

+

Additionally, you will need to reference PHB (69), Modifying Items: Often, a full design is not necessary, as an existing weapon, device, or vehicle may be modified to perform the actions necessary. This is known as modification, and is often less expensive than full-fledged invention. Modification is also used to smooth out the rough edges of inventions, and improve them slowly. ....
Time and success of a modification are determined as for any invention. Failure may damage the original device as well. Modifications may be kit-bashed.

Generally, The simplest and quickest rule of thumb is that the cost of an item is +1CS or +2CS to the maximum rank of a power. Then divide by the Power Rank of the Hyper Invention to get the amount of DAys needed.

+

If another character is using the devices inherent to a high technology hero, the character using those devices must make a Reason FEAT to correctly use the device. The FEAT is always a green FEAT, with failure resulting in the character hitting the wrong button, activating the wrong system, or pointing the weapon in the wrong direction. Results of these actions vary according to situation, and may range from a -1CS or -2CS to hit or effectiveness, or the damaging of the system itself.
Similar rules apply to characters encountering alien technology for the first time. In this case, a Reason FEAT is made against a standard Remarkable Intensity. Once that FEAT is made, the player can use the alien device in normal situations, and another Reason FEAT is called for only in extenuating circumstances (such as when the character tries a Power Stunt or Vehicle Stunt with the device).

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:00 pm

Additionally, you will need to reference PHB (69), Modifying Items: Often, a full design is not necessary, as an existing weapon, device, or vehicle may be modified to perform the actions necessary. This is known as modification, and is often less expensive than full-fledged invention. Modification is also used to smooth out the rough edges of inventions, and improve them slowly. ....
Time and success of a modification are determined as for any invention. Failure may damage the original device as well. Modifications may be kit-bashed.

[b]Generally, The simplest and quickest rule of thumb is that the cost of an item is +1CS or +2CS to the maximum rank of a power. Then divide by the Power Rank of the Hyper Invention to get the amount of DAys needed.

I don't get the above....

"This is known as modification, and is often less expensive than full-fledged invention."

And yet it adds +1CS or +2CS to the power rank...

How is that cheaper than creating something new from scratch?
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Well we design a lightbulb that only works if someone that is well hung holds it, while standing on their head. Marvel boy picks it up and it he no longer meets one of the devises requirement, even while standing on his head. This can be kit-pashed or modified to work for a while within a few hours or days, as long as they make the initial roll to learn the tech. This needs to be done separately for each modification desired for example to use it while standing regularly, just have an average package, etc.

teknoblade

Postby teknoblade » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:16 pm

IMPORTANT.......
Building Things: Karma is also spent in the process of building things, as outlined in Chapter 4. Karma may be used to determine the success of an experiment or invention. In this case and this case only, the player making the roll must determine how much Karma is being spent before rolling the dice (as opposed to the mere declaration of how much is to be spent, with an automatic spending of 10 Karma points). If the player does not declare the amount for this success roll, then 10 points are assumed to be spent.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:32 am

yes but I dont think Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, wants me to use Mr. Fantastic beacuse I would ::: gasp :::: make things... you know like he does in the comics.... omfg I may just use a power to make things that are in the book a little better OMG RUN!

You know colapsable restrants are soooo broken but unaerthly relfection is totaly good...

Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, has a twisted sence of balance
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Earth 617”