This should brighten adolfo's day. Hearing on Limits of Exec

Video posts from YouTube and Google Video go here.

Moderator: grey

grey
King of the hill
King of the hill

This should brighten adolfo's day. Hearing on Limits of Exec

Postby grey » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:14 pm

Break out the lube! lol
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts, Study hard be evil.
Nobody's perfect... well, there was this one guy, but we killed him.

Living City Forums
webmaster@livingcity.net aka Albert

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: This should brighten adolfo's day. Hearing on Limits of Exec

Postby Ozymandius » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:13 pm

Heh, that was a great comparison:

Cheating on Your Wife = Impeachable

Lying to the Public to Start a War = Not Impeachable
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

grey
King of the hill
King of the hill

Postby grey » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:23 pm

the normal rules of law do not apply to the executive branch.
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts, Study hard be evil.
Nobody's perfect... well, there was this one guy, but we killed him.

Living City Forums
webmaster@livingcity.net aka Albert

Jarad

Postby Jarad » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:45 pm

To be fair, Clinton was not impeached for cheating on his wife. He was impeached for lying under oath about cheating on his wife. You can't impeach a president for the way he or she conducts his or her personal life. You can impeach them for lying in a court of law about their personal life. Should lawyers associated with the Whitewater affair been looking into Bill Clinton's personal life? That's a separate issue.

Again, to be fair, no one has proven that Bush or his administration knowingly lied in order to draw the country into war. Therefore, there is no demonstratable violation backed by any kind of credible evidence to impeach him on.

Should Congress have investigated (or be investigating) the Bush Administration for making false statements that prompted the United States to invade and occupy Iraq? Is this sort of issue more worthy of investigating than whom Bill Clinton was bumping nasties with?

Sadly enough for this country, people seem more interested in Bill Clinton's penis than in George Bush's tongue.

I think both Presidents should have been impeached. If I were a member of Congress, I wouldn't have thrown Clinton out of office because of his lie. Who was really hurt by the fact that Bubba didn't want to upset his wife? As much as I dislike and suspect George Bush however, I really don't know whether he is guilty of what he has been accused of. There hasn't been a trial. There hasn't even been an investigation.

The lesson for future presidents of our country is to hold on to power at all costs. Bill Clinton's political opponents used the United States Office of the Independent Counsel (instituted after the Watergate scandal and last reauthorized in 1994) to impeach him over his private life. Reauthorization lapsed in 1999, and George Bush has enjoyed the power to do pretty much whatever he has wanted to do during his tenure.

I think future generations may look back on the Iraq occupation as a sort of Rubicon. Expect more power to be concentrated in the hands of the Executive in the future rather than less.

Return to “Videos”