Flame Wars: 4th Edition

The shiny new D&D living campaign from WoTC

Moderator: MorganWolf

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Re: Flame Wars: 4th Edition

Postby Thanos » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:52 pm

Ozymandius wrote:Dude, now that I think about it the only reason his monsters are so crazy is because Matt or myself aren't there keeping him in check when he writes them.

The only reason his Blackmoor junk was crazy, but not insane crazy was because one of us was either checking his numbers or designing them ourselves.

Crazy.

I just chalk it up as one of Gregs special logic rules. Like the time Ramon tried to poison the gargantuan Dino with his snake bite.

If the leopard men grappled. the fight would have been over quick for us i think. If you are grappled you don't threaten so other leopard men could pass through your square? If that was the case we would not have been able to bottle neck them.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Fri May 01, 2009 8:27 am

While that is true, I could have EASILY one-shotted them.

Two arrows at average damage from me killed them. So if they did go for the grapple I could have picked them off, the trick would have been to ready attacks for them and nail them with a "Readied Multishot" so I could have gotten 2d8+2d6+1d6+3d6 (they would be flatfooted so I get the sneak). That would take them out no problem and then Chuck or you would keep going. Actually since Dave has no Dex he would still act as a buffer against them.

Grapple is going to be our big problem until we get some better spell coverage from our Wizard/Druid/Duskblade section. I know that when I drop the Wizard I won't be worrying about grapples on the party (not because FoM will be up but because those are one of the contingencies I plan for).

Oh check this out!

I was doing the math on my spells on the 15 level character who is 15 Wiz/15 Sorc (5th Level Spells Only) and totaling up how many I could cast:

It's something ridiculous (without items) like 48 wizard spells and 26 sorcerer spells before I'm tapped out. But because of the reserve feats I've got the following always ready:

6d6 Fire Ray (Split Rayed to 6d6 x2)
8d6 Ice Ray (Split Rayed to 8d6 x2)
6d6 Acid Ranged Touch
7d4 Force Ranged Touch
6d6 Lightening Ray (Split Rayed to 6d6 x2)

And because they are Rays (for three of them) they get my weapon focus, my imp. critical and my free extended range for sneak!
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Fri May 01, 2009 12:57 pm

Ozymandius wrote:While that is true, I could have EASILY one-shotted them.

Two arrows at average damage from me killed them. So if they did go for the grapple I could have picked them off, the trick would have been to ready attacks for them and nail them with a "Readied Multishot" so I could have gotten 2d8+2d6+1d6+3d6 (they would be flatfooted so I get the sneak). That would take them out no problem and then Chuck or you would keep going. Actually since Dave has no Dex he would still act as a buffer against them.

Grapple is going to be our big problem until we get some better spell coverage from our Wizard/Druid/Duskblade section. I know that when I drop the Wizard I won't be worrying about grapples on the party (not because FoM will be up but because those are one of the contingencies I plan for).

Oh check this out!

I was doing the math on my spells on the 15 level character who is 15 Wiz/15 Sorc (5th Level Spells Only) and totaling up how many I could cast:

It's something ridiculous (without items) like 48 wizard spells and 26 sorcerer spells before I'm tapped out. But because of the reserve feats I've got the following always ready:

6d6 Fire Ray (Split Rayed to 6d6 x2)
8d6 Ice Ray (Split Rayed to 8d6 x2)
6d6 Acid Ranged Touch
7d4 Force Ranged Touch
6d6 Lightening Ray (Split Rayed to 6d6 x2)

And because they are Rays (for three of them) they get my weapon focus, my imp. critical and my free extended range for sneak!

You are assuming you aren't grappled too.

This level I get freedom of movement and so does cold stone. I will always have one cause it is a domain spell.

How do you get 15/15?

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Sat May 02, 2009 11:11 pm

As a Spellthief/Wizard/Geometer/Abjurant Champion I never need to worry about grapples. I have more D-Doors than I know what to do with.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Sun May 03, 2009 12:23 am

i mean your archer being grappled

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Mon May 04, 2009 8:23 am

Dimension Door every 1d4 rounds, permanent ability.
- Philip Slama

ScrollMasterRob
Regular
Regular

Postby ScrollMasterRob » Fri May 08, 2009 12:33 am

Lets see if PJ survives long enough to reach the levels to do that crazy sh^t. Too bad both his character and Capt. Pyro are both WEAK MINDED FOOLS THAT ARE EASILY DOMINATED, CHARMED, and extremely open to SUGGESTION. Both of you, get a WILL save!!
Breaking mods with disposable items.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Fri May 08, 2009 10:29 am

Rob...

What has two thumbs and doesn't give a sh*t about his will save?

Orlenndare Arkenealylth, that's me!

I can't fix the low will save problem because we don't have access to large sums of money (regardless of how much gold I have it's only worth 5,000 at the bank) and we don't have access to the magical items. I tried to increase the saves but it's not going to happen. If you don't want me shooting you then you need to get CoP:E up.
- Philip Slama

lasombra1380

Postby lasombra1380 » Fri May 15, 2009 1:29 pm

I still see a lot of bitching regarding a lack of options. Time is what is needed. Arcane Power, Martial Power, etc. have tons of options. I also see a hint of I just want to crack the system, which I have yet to meet someone who is not guilty of cheesing out yet. Its part of the fun.

To backtrack a bit, I think the only reeason there wasnt a huge amount of bitching from 2nd to 3rd was b/c D&D had basically been dying as a brand... (also forums such as these didnt really exist) TSR was bankrupt and had not been publishing much, and the buyout by WotC is basically what saved D&D. Trust me it was not for altruistic reasons, there was money to be made... greed is always a factor. I don't know why people seem to have an issue with greed... companies dont produce a product for fun, b/c you can't pay employees or overhead costs with fun. (I think we saw that first hand in the death of SilverDragon... different context but same principle).

I am happy to be part of the 4th ed joy joy supporters as Ray labels me apparently.

Also, LG had only backstory and Interludes to really keep story up... sometimes there was a bad ass storyline, but for the most part the writing of LG was largely forgettable, so dont hold that up as an example. In a 4 hour one shot adventure, there is not time for tons of story unless you rock as a writer... combat is the name of the game. I see LFR as a dungeon crawl, same as I did LG... boring intro story, combat, interlude, combat, interlude, combat. Maybe Im just juvenile, but I love the combat. Story is nice for framework, but really only enjoy the story if its really compelling. Aka, story has to be better or more intriguing than combat. Rarely happens.

grey
King of the hill
King of the hill

Postby grey » Fri May 15, 2009 1:37 pm

LG.... forgettable?

Not all of it. But there was one mod that I wish I could undo.

THE BURNINATOR!

nuff said.
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts, Study hard be evil.
Nobody's perfect... well, there was this one guy, but we killed him.

Living City Forums
webmaster@livingcity.net aka Albert

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:46 am

UPDATE:

4.0 Still Sucks.

Continue about your daily routine.
- Philip Slama

thetrickygnome
Slave to this message board
Slave to this message board

Postby thetrickygnome » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:09 am

PJ, as some doctors like to say - "I concur".

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:52 pm

PJ

QFT

Amen
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Living Forgotten Realms”