My Lament

The shiny new D&D living campaign from WoTC

Moderator: MorganWolf

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: My Lament

Postby Highmoon » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:46 pm

thetrickygnome wrote:Plus roleplay at home games is easier because there are rarely any time limits.

Which goes directly to my original comment above about the baggage of the Living style.

Xylona Ajani

Postby Xylona Ajani » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:48 pm

People are always talking about wanting to play this system or love this about this system but I see no action by some. The Summoning is a once a year event that is hosted by the Miami gamming group. If you do not like the "Living" paradigm of gaming then why not introduce something different that could have been done at the summoning. If you do not like something, then do something about it too much complaining and no action. I know that the Summoning convection organizers took a lot of their own personal time to bring the Summoning to the Miami players (non-profit). Please do not forget that gaming is a hobby more of an addition for some but, never the less a hobby. It takes a lot of work to organize a convection. Why is it that some people only see the negative of a system rather than the positive (even if it is small). If you do not like the system, then see if for the part of getting together with friends and making it a good time. I personally am not to thrill about 4.0 but I am willing to learn a system, spend a good time with friends and in a year or so try something different. I am glad that Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, spoke up, and I see why he is taking it personal. Everyone is always looking at him as the escape goat, and now 4.0 but you know what he is the only one that I see so commitment in getting thing moving in Miami for us.

thetrickygnome
Slave to this message board

Postby thetrickygnome » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Which goes directly to my original comment above about the baggage of the Living style.

Yeah but if you had some non-RPGA games slotted for a con, you would still have to abide by the
time factor of the slot, especially if players that were playing the non-RPGA game were registered
for the next slot to play an RPGA-system game. When you go to a con you have to understand that
you are going to generally work under a structured system and style of play. I could flip this argument
over and say that by putting a time limits on mod or game play, you are ensuring that the players
interested in gaming multiple sessions will have the chance to do so. Example - if I register for 3 games
at a con in one day, I do so because I want to play those three games. If I register for 3 games and the
first game is dragged on into half-way through my supposed 3rd slot time then I'm going to be pissed
off. Bottom line is that cons give the players a choice to play under its structure or not to. It's like the
old argument about not liking what is on a TV channel - if you don't like it then change the channel but
understand that just because it's not your type of programming does not mean that others will not find
fulfillment with it.

One of the funnest moments of the con for me was that last slot and playing 4.0 with Ralphs friend
Mike who was playing a drow rogue and I was playing my gnome rogue. We kept insulting and making
fun of one another through out the whole game because I was playing off my hatred of drow ( gnomes
are often enslaved by the evil ones ). Mike took it in stride and kept insulting me back in character
and it just made it even more hilarious. The mod was okay but the interaction with Mikes drow was
priceless. Some people may not think this is a big deal but it was to me and I had alot of fun and really,
isn't that what gaming should be all about?

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Highmoon » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:33 pm

In reply to Xylona Ajani:

I went and reread Fito's original post to make sure, and yes, I was right: no where is this thread about The Summoning. Fito's only mention of the con is:
The Heretic wrote:I feel no real need or impetus to go to The Summoning this year to play.

There's no bad-mouthing of the con there, no name-calling, no demonic decree over Morganwolf, nothing of the sort. And then he goes on to state the reason for this statement, none of which has anything to do with the convention itself, or with its organizers, but rather with his preferred style of play.

Let's please stay on focus to what is being discussed. I personally have much appreciation for Morganwolf and all the other people who put together the con, even if I disagree with them over X or Y, now, before or in the future; one does not preclude the other.

(At the risk of not following my own suggestion and going into off-topic territory...)
Different things (as in non-Living events) were done at The Summoning, and more were planned specifically by me, although I was simply not able to get things off the ground for personal reasons (and hey, I take full responsibility for that). Hopefully for next year there'll be even more non-Living games offerings, and then even more in 2010, etc. That's the whole point, to grow the con. From all I heard The Summoning 08 was fantastic and a success, and that's awesome.

Again, Fito's original post, and the ensuing discussion, is NOT about The Summoning (even if was turned into that), but about styles of play and how they do/do not mesh with Living-style games.

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Highmoon » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:37 pm

thetrickygnome wrote:

Yeah but if you had some non-RPGA games slotted for a con, you would still have to abide by the
time factor of the slot, especially if players that were playing the non-RPGA game were registered
for the next slot to play an RPGA-system game. When you go to a con you have to understand that
you are going to generally work under a structured system and style of play.

To be fair, yes, in this particular case, I should have said it is more part of the baggage of con play rather than of Living games.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:34 am

Heh, face it people the game has changed. Either you like At-Will, Encounter, Daily and Utility powers or you get bored doing the same five or six actions over and over. 4.0 is still developing but if their story doesn't take off it will be deserted faster than a navy ship with Black Siphilis.

The problem with non-RPGA games at conventions is there is no support for the game.

The question becomes do I play a game that I like a little but can play all the time or play a game a like a lot but probably only once or twice a year?

P.S.

For Rene,

Fito.

Figure it out.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

thetrickygnome

Postby thetrickygnome » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:48 am

P.S.

For Rene,

Fito.

Figure it out.

No need to toss cryptic advice to me PJ. I think I'm doing okay as I am.

Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Postby Dwraith » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:35 am

From the LRF yahoo group that someone was writting up

As promised, this is a writeup of the Stormscale clan concept. Originally designed specifically for the Moonshaes, I've expanded the concept to be suitable for most of the LFR regions. This is being crossposted to the general LFR board, as well as LFR-Tymanther (the home region of the Dragonborn). Any feedback you have is welcome - this is a work in progress.

Stormscale Clan

Before the merging of Toril and Abeir, the Stormscale clan was small, founded three centuries ago during their enslavement at the hands of Thurgelorm, a blue dragon of considerable power. Banding together, a group of nearly a hundred Dragonborn slaves worked together to bring down the mighty dragon, and sought safety in the mountain ranges of Tymanchebar. Their new home was a large valley between two mountains, prone to violent weather that threatened their survival every year during storm season. Over the next two centuries, the clan offered shelter to others who had escaped enslavement, and grew to a considerable size, becoming one of the largest clans of rebel dragonborn in Abeir.

When part of Tymanchebar was ripped from Abeir and brought to Toril, the entire valley containing the clan was also brought over. As the clan was in the midst of a gathering held every decade, nearly every member was present for the transition. For the first few years, the Stormscales contacted their brethern that had also made the transition, and struggled to survive the chaos caused by the Spellplague.

Once the clan had adjusted to their new home, a decision was made to send out scouting parties throughout the realms. The clan elders knew that to explore an entire new world was an epic task, that would not be completed in their lifetime. Therefore, the groups that were sent out were ordered to settle in these new lands, with each group containing a student of draconic rituals who could contact the Clan Elders. Though the clan would be spread thin, each group would contact the elders yearly for guidance. Eventually, a decision would be made on where to establish a permanent home for the clan.

The settlements took years to establish, and not all were successful. A group sent to the southwest came across the Underchasm, and was never seen again. The group sent to the south eventually purchased boats at Delzimmer, only to be caught up in a freak storm (likely caused by the Spellplague) and carried across the Great Sea for weeks, losing over half of their number during the ordeal. Now spread throughout Faerun, the clan is near a decision on where (or if) they will make a permanent home.

Culture
The Stormscales are similar in outlook to other Dragonborn, with three significant exceptions. The first is the concept of clan. Where clan members normally look to the clanmaster and elders for guidance, the slave background and dispersed nature of the Stormscales has created a more cosmopolitan attitude. Each settlement has a leader, who consults with the clan elders on occasion, but the final decisions are left to the settlement leader for the most part.

The second difference is the concept of family. Needing to breed frequently so their smaller settlements will survive, wedlock typically lasts until one or both of the couple is past childbearing age. Infidelity is frowned upon, as it makes it difficult to track a child's lineage. The entire settlement fosters a child, though primary responsibility rests upon the parent until the child reaches adulthood.

Finally, the Stormscales have more tolerance of "sablescales" - Dragonborn with black scales that tend towards magical (rather than martial) prowess. This tolerance has allowed enough wizards to flourish that a few gifted individuals have learned the techniques to create magical portals, a major boon for the clan.

Notable Traits
Originally slaves of Thurgelorm, a higher than normal percentage of the clan have lightning breath (which was no threat to the blue dragon). However, all five breath types have been found in the clan, and they link their breath to an aspect of storm or wind, as follows:
* Lightning - Storm's Fury
* Fire - Desert Storm (or Southern Wind)
* Cold - Snowstorm (or Northern Wind)
* Acid - Fell Storm (or Rending Wind)
* Poison - Toxic Storm (or Death Wind)

Major Settlements
The listings below cover all the allowed regions of the LFR campaign. Not all the regions were settled by the Stormscales, though it is possible that a wandering Stormscale parent and their child could make their home anywhere on Faerun. This is simply a guideline on where groups of Stormscales can be found, and their general disposition.

Tymanther (Smoking Mountains) - The Clan Elders remain in the same valley they have lived in since the clan's founding, now torn from Abeir and brought to Toril. They occasionally trade with caravans traveling from Djerad Thymar, but for the most part are self-sufficient and independent from their city-bound brethern. Each year, the Elders conduct rituals of power that allow them to speak with the leaders of the other major settlements. Of late, fearing that the clan may be splintered forever if it remains spread throughout Faerun, they have reluctantly allowed the clan's wizards to begin construction of a magical portal that could be used for instantaneous travel between the clan settlements. They are also considering recalling the clan to Tymanther for a massive gathering, to determine where the clan will make its permanent home. Some believe such a gathering is long overdue, while others believe that the clan's dispersed nature is a strength instead of a weakness, and the portals will be sufficient to maintain clan unity.

Aglarond (Yuirwood) - The expedition sent north from Tymanther crossed Chessenta, and made the difficult water crossing to Aglarond. A representative met with the Simbul in 1401 DR, and the group of roughly 80 dragonborn were given permission to settle in the foothills of the Tanath mountains next to the Yuirwood. The number of Aglarond Stormscales was nearly cut in half over the past several decades, due to the dangers lurking on all sides of the settlement. However, many that remain are hardened warriors that are ever vigilant in protecting the rest of the clan, and their numbers are beginning to increase once again.

Akanul (N/A) - The current tension between Tymanther and Akanul has prevented any formal expedition from traveling there. A few Stormscales adept in outdoor survival have traveled the lands of Akanul, hunting dragons. However, there is no formal settlement, and the few Stormscales that have gone to Airspur for trade or work have been treated with disdain by the locals.

Baldur's Gate (The Wide) - Originally part of the expedition that arrived at Waterdeep, a feud between two factions caused the group to split in two. The second group traveled south to Baldur's Gate, taking up residence there even as they maintained their feud with their Waterdeep faction of the clan. They currently live near The Wide, a large open marketplace in the northeast section of the city. Nearly destitute after their split with the Waterdeep Stormscales, they have been reduced to hiring out as mercenaries, taking on unsavory tasks that has troubled other branches of the clan.

Cormyr (Eagle Peak/Suzail) - The Kingdom of Cormyr has a reputation for honor and noble traditions, which has drawn the attention of the Stormscales. Several families settled there, seeing the kingdom as the best of what this new land has to offer. Of late, a few Stormscales have even applied to join the Purple Dragons, which has been met with skepticism by both the humans of Cormyr, and members of their own clan.

Dalelands (Battledale) - One of the last expeditions to set forth from the Smoking Mountains, the group of Stormscales that traveled to the Dalelands went there to meet with the greatest sage in Faerun - Elminister. The Old Sage rebuffed their attempts at conversation, and most of the expedition returned to Storm Valley. However, three families of scholars decided to remain, eventually settling in Battledale. Every five years, the Dalelands Stormscales sent a representative to Shadowdale to attempt to meet with Elminister. That representative is always sent back, either by Elminister himself or one of the Old Sage's friends who doesn't want to see him bothered. The current head of this branch of Stormscales believes their persistance will pay off eventually, but others have given up and are focusing on whether Battledale's large, sparsely-settled lands would be suitable as a permanent home for the entire clan. Though distrusted for several years by the locals, the Stormscales have proven invaluable in fighting off the bandits that lurk in the nearby woods.

Dragon Coast (Gulthandor) - The very name of this region was enough to draw several Stormscales to the area. Many returned after not finding what they expected, but some settled in the region. The contingent of Stormscales makes Gulthandor their home, due to the locals' reverence for nature and the sky.

East Rift (N/A) - The expedition to the East Rift met with disaster. No Stormscales have settled there permanently, though a few wanderers from the clan view the loss of the expedition as a challenge that must be met.

Impiltur (N/A) - The demon-infested lands of Impiltur were avoided by the expedition sent in that direction, and no Stormscale enclave has been established. However, a few Stormscales have chosen to settle in human lands nearby, viewing the demons as a scourge to be wiped out for honor and glory.

Luruar (Silverymoon) - A small group of Stormscales settled in Silverymoon, intrigued by tales of the city's magical wards. They have prospered as bogyguards, smiths, and sages, and there is talk among them that they would defy the Clan Elders should they be summoned home.

Moonshae Isles (Alaron) - The expedition sent south from Tymanther nearly met with disaster. After purchasing vessels in Delzimmer so they could travel along the coast looking for a suitable area to settle, a freak storm caused by the Spellplague transported them thousands of miles away to the Sea of Storms. Nearly half of their ships were lost, but they made landfall on the southern edge of Alaron in the Moonshae Isles, near the Dernall Forest. The clan elders view this as an omen, and are strongly considering whether the Moonshae Isles should be their new home...

Waterdeep (South Ward) - The largest expedition sent out from Tymanther was not sent in a specific direction. Instead, they utilized auguries to locate the largest and most cosmopolitan city upon Faerun, in the hopes such a place would be welcoming to the clan. Settling in Waterdeep, the clan has made a living as bodyguards and tradesmen, though their fortunes have fallen after the recent split with their clan-brothers (see the Baldur's Gate entry for details).

This was my idea for me and rene background when we roleplay with our character. Yes Pj, half-elf is strong, but i still love my dragonborn. If you could imagain and full party of dragonborn players would be something frightful to see. Yet no matter how much roleplaying or the lack off, the real reason i play this game is to get together with people that i call friends and have a great time with them. So i ask you all, why do you really play? To act? to number chrunch? or to have a good time with people?

Also on another note, Since i wasn't able to go to the summoning because of personal issues that happened that weekend, if anyone is running a game, call me up?
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

thetrickygnome

Postby thetrickygnome » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:01 am

Hey Mario, this sounds like a great setup for our characters. I think we should go with this until some
campaign documentation says otherwise. I too love my dragonborn just like I love my gnome and you
are right. It's really about gathering with friends and people you get along with abnd just having a
good time and I think that 4.0, even with its flaws, is good enough to support this.

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Highmoon » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:19 am

Dwraith wrote:So i ask you all, why do you really play? To act? to number chrunch? or to have a good time with people?

Actually, this right here? This is a very important question that needs to be asked of yourself and your group, whether you regular home group or a convention one.

That section in the 4e DMG, about types of players, social dynamics and how to handle them, I think was probably THE best part of the book, and mechanics issues aside, constitutes one of the best new developments in D&D.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:02 pm

A whole party of Dragonborn isn't frightening, it's practical, but at a cost of many feats.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Highmoon » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Lord Neden wrote:I think 4.0 is like an 11 year old terrorist with a suicide bomb attached to his chest. The child doesn't know any better and has the potential for being great, but his life will be ended short because of the sh*t he has attached to him.

Dude, you did not just compare a game to a child suicide bomber, right? The above is just stuff that appeared on your post. Seriously.

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Highmoon » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:49 pm

"I think" is not automatic permission to say whatever you want, I'm sorry. You can feel whatever you want, but there are lines, dude. This is a game, that is a problem that affects millions of lives around the world. Get some perspective.

In regards to 4e, you have some valid points worthy of further conversation. Don't invalidate your entire argument by a poorly chosen analogy that borders very dangerously on the offensive.

The Heretic

Postby The Heretic » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:04 am

Alrighty then.

No attack on Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, was meant. No attack on the summoning was done.

LONG LIVE TYHE SUMMONING AND ALL ITS GLORY. ok now!

Anyone who has previously stated some illogical and slightly schizo hatred of me can really just go on ignoring any thread I begin, and asked to do so.

THE WHOLE FUCKING THING WAS LAMENTING THAT THE LAST GAMES I HAVE GONE TO OUTSIDE MY HOME GAME HAVE BEEN SORELY LACKING ANY REAL ROLE PLAYING. THATS ALL.

The thread was begun to see if anyone else felt the same way in the vain hope that a group of reallly really good role players could be found for running the lfr mods with an emphasis on going outside the lines and actually role play. Not an attack on anyone. OK geez!

As far as finding another opportunity to light the pyre under me feel free. It dont matter
A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes-----Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

"The measure of the homeland’s independence can be gauged by the amount of independence enjoyed by her children, and, as we have already said, there can be no free homeland while her children are slaves."-----Enrique Roig de San Martin

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Highmoon » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:53 am

Lord Neden wrote:Greetings,
[snip rest of email]

Listen, Ramon, you can say whatever the hell you want, but comparing a game to a terrorist act is simply childish and immature and shows a tremendous lack of perspective. I know people who have been affected by suicide bombings, and your trivialization of the act when comparing it to a game is grossly disrespectful. Feel free to get yell at me all you want, that does not change the fact one bit.

Who am I? As far as this conversation is concerned, I am just another forum user who finds your analogy of a game to a terrorist act disgusting and called you up on it. In general, you are very welcomed to drop by my two websites and find out more about me and what I do. Beyond your association to local gaming, I have no idea who the hell you are either, and you know what, it doesn't matter because nothing, absolutely nothing you do, have done or will do, can give you the justification to say things like that.

The only thing in which you are right is that I forgot to notify the members of this board about the fact that I would not be able to attend The Summoning and hold the Indie Games Day for personal reasons (even though I did tell Peter via email). That was my bad; for that I apologize and will take the flack.

Beyond that, I've nothing else to say to you on this matter, so unless you have something to add to the on-topic conversation, farewell.

Return to “Living Forgotten Realms”