My Lament

The shiny new D&D living campaign from WoTC

Moderator: MorganWolf

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: My Lament

Postby Highmoon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:32 pm

Maybe this product will help you guys out. I purchased it and it seems very good, certainly a lot more user-friendly than the guidelines provided in the DMG. For $2, give it a shot.

Venture 4th: Monster Maker
The monster design guidelines in the core rulebooks state openly that they’re only an approximation -- Gamers have described those rules as ‘rough’ at best and ‘crudely unbalanced’ at worst. The golden design standard of ‘N + Level’ creates inconsistent monster statistics, and in addition, the original designers themselves ignored their own guidelines most of the time, as many monster statistics presented in the core books seem arbitrarily assigned.

Monster Maker is a design kit for creating monsters in 4E. Instead of creating inconsistent and unbalanced encounters where players are repeatedly missing and getting pounded upon by foes who consistently hit and dodge incoming attacks, these optional rules are for Game Masters who want more exciting and faster-paced monsters for their players to fight.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:00 pm

Highmoon wrote:Maybe this product will help you guys out. I purchased it and it seems very good, certainly a lot more user-friendly than the guidelines provided in the DMG. For $2, give it a shot.

Venture 4th: Monster Maker
The monster design guidelines in the core rulebooks state openly that they’re only an approximation -- Gamers have described those rules as ‘rough’ at best and ‘crudely unbalanced’ at worst. The golden design standard of ‘N + Level’ creates inconsistent monster statistics, and in addition, the original designers themselves ignored their own guidelines most of the time, as many monster statistics presented in the core books seem arbitrarily assigned.

Monster Maker is a design kit for creating monsters in 4E. Instead of creating inconsistent and unbalanced encounters where players are repeatedly missing and getting pounded upon by foes who consistently hit and dodge incoming attacks, these optional rules are for Game Masters who want more exciting and faster-paced monsters for their players to fight.

I'm going to have to check this out

BTW.. call me or drop me an e-mail working on a project and I would like to bounce it off of you.
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

thetrickygnome
Slave to this message board

Postby thetrickygnome » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Ramon, first of all, I did play with Rose at Oasis ( I remember the switch places spell you cast with
your weasel to get the big devastating fighter much closer to the enemy quickly ) so your argument
of me not playing with her and seeing how she functions is null and void. I have also had countless
conversations with Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, about games that she was at the table and been there at other tables when
you played/roleplayed her so to say I do not have a clue as to how you play her is false.

And if that last paragraph about someone aluding to you not being a strong roleplayer is meant towards
me, I am befuddled by it. I never said you were not a good roleplayer. It is my opinion that you are a good
roleplayer but you are also a big time power gamer and that the 3.5 system, lends itself VERY heavily to
people who love to power game. IMHO, 4.0 is less designed for those who like to power game.

Ramon, I respect your opinion about 4.0 even though I do not agree with it all the time. I never said
I found your roleplaying confusing. It was elaborate at times but there is a big difference between
elaborate and confusing. Elaborate is complex. Confusing suggests I am not smart enough to understand
your roleplaying motivations and that is very far from the truth. If you want ot flame bait, find someone
else to do it with because your picking a fight with someone who isn't looking to fight you. I took great
pride in Destiny D'vynes accomplishments as a character - she's the only one I retired in LG and I
anyone who played with me will tell you that I roleplayed her alot more than merely basing her on having
green hair ( Art and Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, can speak up for me on that. )

Really Ramon, you disappoint me. You totally misconstrued my words and their intent as an attack on
you when they were not and once again. Hmmm.. why am I having flashbacks to my days as Triad?

Oh and the $2 spent to buy this PDF put up by Daniel is worth it.

Griffman

Postby Griffman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:17 pm

Guys relax. Obama is president now. (Or will be in 76 days at least)
-Matthew Tearle

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

thetrickygnome

Postby thetrickygnome » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:08 pm

One thing I would like to add. The potency of feats in 3.0 & 3.5 and their effect on the game versus
the feats in 4.0 are like comparing the Juggernaut to Howard the Duck. Feats in 3.0 & 3.5 had a
massive effect on your PC because some of them literally made the potential for broken PCs very high.
The feats in 4.0 are for the most part like the little green stuff they put on a dinner plate at a
restaurant. Sure they are nice and add something to your character but they do not have anywhere
near the impact on a character as feats did in 3.0 & 3.5.

My opinion of 4.0 is that attempts to simplify 3.0 & 3.5 to make PCs less game breaking and easier
to manage was admirable and necessary ( some may disagree but I like the idea of PCs being much
more evenly powered in 4.0 ). However, I think they took the smplicity approahc a bit too far, most
notably in monster design and creation. When you lay out rules and say " Oh by the way, we did not
always follow them, sometimes even broke them, but have fun and just experiment away " then I
think that the designers have done the player base, the mod writers, and the game itself a disservice.
CR Ratings and monster creation in 3.0 & 3.5 may have been an imperfect science but the same thing
in 4.0 is an even more imperfect and vague science and worst of all, the creators seem to openly
admit this.

Now that is sad.

And Ramon, sorry if I do not have your tolerance for flame baiting. Maybe I'm a bit naive and idealistic
but I think this forum should be focused on discussing the game and not firing insults or venom at one
another. But this is not my forum and I got out of the administrative aspect of local gaming a long time
ago so who am I to tell people what to do? Flame away Ramon. Just understand that my days of taking the
bait are done. Recent events have taught me that life is too short to remain focused on the negative.

Return to “Living Forgotten Realms”