Skill challenges.

The shiny new D&D living campaign from WoTC

Moderator: MorganWolf

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Skill challenges.

Postby Peewee » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:41 pm

It really depends on the DM, mainly, as far as I can tell after 10 modules LFR.

I recently had one DM who was just awesome. Skill challenges turned out to be so much fun, since we just role-played them while he was handing out situational +2s when appropriate (i.e. you spoke something useful and nice in character or were standing up, banging your fist on the table and shouting or explaining what you do with a certain skill instead of saying 'I use diplomacy/ intimidate/ nature.').

Another day, another DM, and skill challenges became frustrating and boring. It was like: "Ok, you enter a skill challenge. The primary skills are yada yada. Initiative."

We: "Err, what exactly are we trying to achieve?", and then we rolled and rolled. You couldn't use any skills not of the "primary skills", since that would be "bending the rules"...

We even ended up killing a NPC though we said we knock him unconsious, since it said "...he dies..." in the module box text.

It was just sad.

Bottom line: It all starts with a DM who encourages roleplay.

Nuff Said.

4e, specialy after playing with ramon last night (I love you bro)... falls completly in the hands of the GM to make sure the players have a good time... if you don't want to give the game a chance, please don't GM..

Before you run another game.. go to the DMG and read it cover to cover...
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: Skill challenges.

Postby Ozymandius » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:45 pm

Don't Read Any Further As I Reveal The Plot of EVERY LFR Module Below:

1. INTRODUCTION
2. SKILL TEST
3. FIGHT
4. FIGHT
5. FIGHT
6. CONCLUSION

or

1. INTRODUCTION
2. FIGHT
3. SKILL TEST
4. FIGHT
5. FIGHT
6. CONCLUSION

or

1. INTRODUCTION
2. FIGHT
3. FIGHT
4. SKILL TEST
5. FIGHT
6. CONCLUSION

or

1. INTRODUCTION
2. FIGHT
3. FIGHT
4. FIGHT
5. SKILL TEST
6. CONCLUSION

Thank you for your participation and I now return you to your predictablly linear 4.0 module.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:01 pm

You PJ are looking at skill challenges all wrong, they are ment to be ROLEPLAYED....

Want me to show you a common 3.5 adventure

1. Gather Information roll
(or get hit over the head with a adventure hook)
2. Combat
3. more skill rolls
(or get hit again over the head with a adventure hook)
3a (optional) Puzzle
(if there was one.. no skill rolls.. never mind you are playing the character with 5 intellegance)
4. Combat
5. end

It's people like you that fail at giveing the players a good time.... it's people like you that don't like 4e, so you can't help to run it like crap.

people like you fail at one simple thing, skill chalanges are not ment to be only die rolls... they are ment for you to roleplay the event.. thats why the +2 bonus is there, to incorage roleplaying

you fail to read what the above post was about.. you fail at GMing...

Get your head out of your ass and look at possabilities...

Its funny how many people "forget" how linear year one and year 2 grayhawk mods where
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Postby Dwraith » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:40 am

also remember that is most skill challenges, they have options where good role-playing can override a roll. Most Gm don't do that unless players try...

Also I think Pj has been a great judge so far. he has made 4E games a hell of alot more interesting then other GMs...
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:46 am

Dwraith wrote:also remember that is most skill challenges, they have options where good role-playing can override a roll. Most Gm don't do that unless players try...

Also I think Pj has been a great judge so far. he has made 4E games a hell of alot more interesting then other GMs...

You also need to read the DMG on how players can use any skill to help with "assigned" skill checks..

the Skill Chalange system is all about thinking outside the box, something I thougt we were all good at.

One more thing, the GM can always override the a role due to good roleplaying.. its right in the DMG
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:35 am

Peter, I get it, and you know I do. Otherwise you wouldn't have been involved in the Thirsty Throat Tavern surrounded by whores and sea men where adolfo learned the fine art of barging in and realizing he got the wrong room.

Every game I've run I've used this one pricipal rule.

f*ck THE RULES.

I subscribe to the Pirates of the Carribean school of thinking on GMing players.

"They aren't so much rules as they are guidelines."
"Take what you can get give nothing back."
"WHAT ABOUT THE RUM?"

Those are my guiding principals. I'm going to look you straight in the eye, lie to your face and make you work for your information; at the same time I'm going to ensure you get a story out of these pathetic linear modules we've been introduced to. It's easy to build off the information given in these episodes if you've played in the Living City campaign or spent a year and a half homegaming in the system.

Most judges haven't and that's why these episodes can be dangerous. I'm looking forward to dealing with Ramon as my judge at the Summoning. I KNOW it will be good because he knows how to get us to roleplay.

Our list of good GMs has diminished recently, we aren't as strong as we used to be and with this loosening of the rules in 4.0e we've begun our decay as a gaming group. We need systems like 3.5 to keep us on our toes, always thinking of new ideas instead of the new system where all we do is At-Will-Power after Encounter-Power after Daily-Power after Utility Power, fight after fight after fight.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:42 am

F*ck the rules?

then why even play any game... next time you run blackmore just drop any and all skill checks, why bother?
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Postby Dwraith » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:31 pm

its gotten to the point where all people expect is to roll some skill check to find out information about anything. People really don't role playing anymore, do ask questions and probe and prod for information. It comes down to how well you mid-max skills to get by and as such Writers make is hard and broad to get past some skill challenges.
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

Return to “Living Forgotten Realms”