Has anyone?

The shiny new D&D living campaign from WoTC

Moderator: MorganWolf

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Has anyone?

Postby Peewee » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:28 am

Ok, has anyone taken the time to read the start of each LFR adventure?

• Don't make the adventure too easy or too difficult for a group. Never being challenged makes for a boring game, and being overwhelmed makes for a frustrating game. Gauge the experience of the players (not the characters) with the game, try to feel out (or ask) what they like in a game, and attempt to give each of them the experience they’re after when they play D&D. Give everyone a “chance to shine.”

• Be mindful of pacing, and keep the game session moving along appropriately. Watch for stalling, as play loses momentum when this happens. At the same time, make sure that the players don’t finish the adventure too early; provide them with a full play experience. Living Forgotten Realms adventures are designed to be played within 3.5 – 4 hours per round; try to be very aware of running long or short. Adjust the pacing accordingly.

GMs have a LOT of power in 4e to alter the adventure to make it :::gasp:: fun for the players.... if you see the players fustrated with the combat (because the writer picked out the right monsters which work together to create a ton of "Got Ya" moments.... ) the GM has the power to speed things up and make it more fun.

Why is this such a hard concept for judges to grasp... the GMs job is FOR THE PLAYERS TO HAVE FUN.... kick there ass but make them feel like heros...

In short, being the DM for a Living Forgotten Realms adventure isn’t about following every word on the page; it’s about creating a fun, challenging game environment for the players. A great deal of good information on being a DM for a D&D game can be found in Chapters 1-2 of the Dungeon Master's Guide
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Re: Has anyone?

Postby Dwraith » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:47 pm

i try to follow this, but when people fight about the wording or the rules or just get off topic or such, it a pain to try to keep it fun for players....
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: Has anyone?

Postby Peewee » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:56 pm

Dwraith wrote:i try to follow this, but when people fight about the wording or the rules or just get off topic or such, it a pain to try to keep it fun for players....

But at that point, as the GM you need to take a deep breath and let it go... come back to it after the game is done...

Any time you see that a ruleing is getting in the way of a fun game, let it go, send an e-mail to FAQ the next day... I asked a question about basic attacks and got a responce in 24hr.

In the grand sceem of life, it's not worth it to fight over a rule, if both the players and the GM have a point I will normaly rule on the side of the players.. then send an e-mail to FAQ.
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Living Forgotten Realms”