The shiny new D&D living campaign from WoTC

Moderator: MorganWolf

Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Words to live by for LFR

Postby Dwraith » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:34 pm

I do sudgest that when people get games together that you follow this simple rule. Always that the Four Basic Character Types

Leader
Defender
Striker
Controller

and more importantly Have a healer and not depend on you second wind...
Don't and your asking for a TPK in 4E

Mostly point to those i am will be running the Slot Zero for Shades....
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: Words to live by for LFR

Postby Peewee » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:24 am

Dwraith wrote:I do sudgest that when people get games together that you follow this simple rule. Always that the Four Basic Character Types

Leader
Defender
Striker
Controller

and more importantly Have a healer and not depend on you second wind...
Don't and your asking for a TPK in 4E

Mostly point to those i am will be running the Slot Zero for Shades....

I concure

I'm working on my 2nd character now.. I was thinking cleric (healer focused.. thanks to the AV you can make a good healer)

Also planing on making a striker..

Pb
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Needles
Slave to this message board

Postby Needles » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Funny, last night we played a fourth edition game with out a balanced party and all four rolls, and we still kicked but. Some of us went down, and they used their second wind to get up. Others of us stayed down since they used their second wind. We made it to the end. One time healing can do it for the party if you don’t play up, don’t have a healer, or a balanced party. :D
There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:29 pm

Needles wrote:Funny, last night we played a fourth edition game with out a balanced party and all four rolls, and we still kicked but. Some of us went down, and they used their second wind to get up. Others of us stayed down since they used their second wind. We made it to the end. One time healing can do it for the party if you don’t play up, don’t have a healer, or a balanced party. :D

You know you can't use a second wind if you are out cold.. you need someone to use the healing skill to activate it.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Needles

Postby Needles » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:48 pm

True, that is how some of us came back into the fight. A DC 10 heal check restores one healing surge for you. If you used it a DC 15 heal check is required to stabilize you. These things happened.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Postby Dwraith » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:57 am

it wasn't to restore a healing surge, it was for anyone that hadn't used there second wind to come back up. Also yes we could stabilize but unless you where me with the only healing potion in the party, you where staying down... Trust me ed, that sh*t will not work at high levels. Also remember with Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, and his good alignment want to kill the last guy when we were in no way able to take on a Solo, would have ment a TPK bro.
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

Needles

Postby Needles » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:27 pm

We haven’t played high level so we don't know how it works. Right now, how the game works is if the monsters are around your level you don't need a healer. That makes the encounters easy and less dangerous. I don't know if we can play up at higher levels the monsters are much more powerful. The damage doesn't seem to get greater for the monsters as you go up in level. It is their odd aura or weird power that makes them dangerous. Even more so, it is the traps I’m worried about. The traps are what is doing the greater amount of damage that I've experienced.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:52 pm

You know I have been hearing alot on how people are having issues with the adventures because the casters are missing so much.

try playing at the level your at, insted of playing up all the time..... BTW, if you play low.. you get less exp and gp, but in the end you end up with more access to items per characrer, because each character will have more adventures under there belt.

play at your level once.. remember 4 levels higher and you are looking at 2 to 3 points higher on all defences.. thats not a small number in 4e
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:32 pm

I don't think it's that the casters are "missing" so much as that they have been reduced to a "ranged" attacker with little in the way of "destruction" or "control" spells as previously in 3.5 edition. In 4.0 it takes a while to build up either a "destruction" or "control" wizard and you are limited in those spells by the limits on powers.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

grey
King of the hill
King of the hill

Postby grey » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:40 pm

ehh.. to be honest life as a wizards sucks until you get 3rd level spells anyways.
the Fireball spell makes being a wizard interesting.
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts, Study hard be evil.
Nobody's perfect... well, there was this one guy, but we killed him.

Living City Forums
webmaster@livingcity.net aka Albert

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:25 pm

I don't know about you Albert but I can remember a game where I looked at the party, smiled and cast a sleep spell on all of them and shut them down while I grabbed our objective and turned it in to MY employer. Wizard's had a MULTITUDE of awesome spells at 0, 1st and 2nd level! The problem was that we never really used them because we were all TOO focused on the FIREBALL spell.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

I dont know about you Ramon,

but the ability to teleport has helped me more often then I can remember.. but I see your point, if you are a wizard you should not have to use your teleport, but it has gotten Monica's wizard out of some tight spots.

a lot of people underestimate the power of the extra at will and the use of Human action point feats.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:04 pm

The 4.0 version of the Wizard can't deal the control like a 3.5 Wizard could.

PERIOD RAMON.

Look at the spell lists and the diversity between the systems and you'll see that 3.5 beats 4.0 hands down at all levels.
- Philip Slama

thetrickygnome

Postby thetrickygnome » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 am

Thats Rene's problem with it.

It's not my "problem". It's simply a matter of hard reality. Given the choice between being just as
important as the next guy in a 4.0 table, wizard or not, or sitting in a 3.5 table and watching the
wizards or clerics cast spells that dominate the table and render most other non-magically based
PCs nothing more than sideline viewers eating popcorn and saying "oh look at him go!!" I'll take
4.0. At least in 4.0, the scales are more balanced.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that. I don't need to get inadvertantly consumed in a potential flame war
based on my opinion.

Griffman

Postby Griffman » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:44 pm

Rene if you enjoy playing 4e then continue to play 4e. Ramon if you dislike this new system, nothing is stopping you from continuing to play 3.5e. All of the material is available to play both systems and I'm sure that you can find willing people to participate at your respective tables. As I write this I'm sure this post will do little good to stop the whining and bitching both for and against 4e, but I figured I should at least attempt to voice my opinion on the matters at hand.

Guys we play this game to have fun. I was under the impression that regardless of the edition we play or the rules we play by the overall goal was the same, fun. If you aren't having fun with 4e then there is a simple solution. Stop playing it. If the system is so unbearable then that seems like the only reasonable option. If you are going to continue to support the system by playing in it, then do everyone a favor and please stop bitching about it. If you love 4e and think it is the best thing since sliced bread please do everyone on these forums a favor and stop trying to convince others of your beliefs. People are different and enjoy different things(look at the political stuff in the flayed threads for proof) so everyone stop getting to heated and relax a little. I think you're all taking this a little too serious and devoting a little too much time bantering back and forth between one another.

Now let the arguing continue.
-Matthew Tearle

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

Return to “Living Forgotten Realms”