Be afraid... be very afraid

The shiny new D&D living campaign from WoTC

Moderator: MorganWolf

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: Be afraid... be very afraid

Postby Peewee » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:43 pm

Ozymandius wrote:Multiclass is the suck for a feat swap, use sneak attack one an encounter or hunter's quarry? Why waste my time and feats on something like that? It's not worth it unless you find a daily or utility power that could really come in handy, but even then it comes at the cost of character advancement.

yes and no, if you plan to take all the feats then they can come in handy, I dont know about you.. but some of the wizard and warlock utility powers rock.

and even if you plan never to muticlass taking the Warlord muticlass feat is a good move, you get a skill from the class skill list and the ability to heal yourself or another character once per day as a minor-action.

Also if you ever plan on taking any skill traning feat, taking the starter muticlass feat which gives you that skill + any ability (even just sneak attack) is a no brainer.

You just have to see the feats for what they are.. options, taking one or two to add some healing to a group is never a bad move... in wrose case it gives you the ability to do second wind twice per encounter once per day.
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

thetrickygnome
Slave to this message board
Slave to this message board

Postby thetrickygnome » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:06 pm

i can just imagine all the gnomes and what a party of them would look like...

I don't mind having a fellow gnome at the table. It just depends on who is playing the
gnome, how well they grasp the concept of strategy and teamwork ( which is what 4th
edition is all about ), and whether or not they have a problem with my gnome who is a
pint size dose of attitude and wicked cunning.

A guy who I think would pimp out a gnome to its fullest potential, especially if he played a
rogue is Art. That guy is so friggin smart her would tear it up.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:32 am

I understand the allure very well regarding daily or utility powers from other classes but in reality a well balanced party, which is the overall goal of the new 4.0 system, would not require the use of multi-classed characters because they would already have the skills necessary to compete in the campaign.

It goes back to the idea that our group used in Living Arcanis when we rebuilt our characters so many years ago:

1. We need a character that can shield us from magical attacks and respond in kind.
2. We need a damage powerhouse character.
3. We need a skills based character.
4. We need a character that can heal us.

What did we get under the system?

We got a badass Wizard/Archmage for magical control of the battlefield, we got a badass Druid who dished out damage like it was going out of style (at no risk to the PCs), we got a ridiculously powered Rogue/Patrician who was based solely in Skills and nothing else and we got a Cleric whose healing abilities were phenominal and also was able to provide back up damage.

The same idea persists in 4.0 but on a much more critical scale. The new problem is making sure that all of the player's abilities are in-line. Pick-up tables can spell the death of your character in 3.5, even more so now in 4.0 and I know that just after reading through the monsters that "Beatdown" is their middle name.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:51 am

Ya,

But now there are more options, for example you can use a cleric or a warlord as the table leader, yes the cleric is a better healer.. but the warlord kicks ass...

I dont know, with some forthought you can create a good party that dosint fill all the holes

for example, the Paladin with Warlord or Cleric muti-classing becomes a viable leader/defender, and a MageBlade/Wizard is a very nice Defender/Controler build.

In RPGA, unless you plan on playing with the same party all the time, muti-classing will let you bring more to the table, remember as you advance in level you can always "retrain" the muti-class feat to take a higher level power in that slot.

Lets look at some of the warlord powers... any Fighter would do well with one or more of these. (just focusing on Heroic for now)

Inspiring War Cry - 6th level Encounter Power.. Strength vs AC... 2[W]+Strength... All allies within 5 sq can attempt a saving throw

Iron Dragon Charge - 9th level Daily Power... Str vs AC... 3[W]+Strength... Must be used as part of a charge.. any one Allie within 5 sq can charge your target as an immidate action

Stand Tough - 6th Warload Unitlity, Daily... Minor Action... Burst 5... you and each ally in burst... all targets regain hit points equal to 10+ your charisma modifire.

All three of these are very good options, hell I will even say that Iron Dragon Charge is better then the Fighter 9th level daily powers. Helps you get yourself and the striker into place quick, get someone with a charge power and it can be sick.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:49 am

Oh ya you all may want to run...

I have a Gnome Card... and an Orc card.. and a Shadar-Kai card....

Gentelmen James will soon be played.. Gnome Warlock..

ohh ya
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Living Forgotten Realms”