Post your LFR characters, here

The shiny new D&D living campaign from WoTC

Moderator: MorganWolf

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: Post your LFR characters, here

Postby Peewee » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:27 pm

Ozymandius wrote:Dude Dragonborn is one of the weakest races in the book, your breath weapon sucks and all your really getting is to look like a dragon.

L2P?

Dragonborn make the best paladin in the game....

+2 Stength & Charisma .. ya both rock for a Paladin

Dragonborn Fury: +1 to attack when bloodied (in 4e EVERY +1 counts) (can become +2 damage (unnamed bonus) as well with a feat.. take a look how many feats give a +2 to damage... ) you are a tank you will be blooded at some point.

Draconic Heritage: get your Con bonus is added to your healing surge, that counts for ALL HEALING

Dragon Breath: Once per encounter, Minor Action Area effect attack, dealing 3d6+Con at 21st level, have you looked at the power level of other talents? (Note: can be 3d10+Con with the use of a feat)

Humm are you sure this game is not "too simple" for you?
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Cloud Lionheart
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Cloud Lionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:49 pm

Please note the fact the the dragonborn breath weapon is awesome for killiong vast amounts of minions
David Lopez
Know your limits, then BREAK THEM!

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:50 pm

Cloud Lionheart wrote:Please note the fact the the dragonborn breath weapon is awesome for killiong vast amounts of minions

Amen, specily with the feat that makes it blast 5 insted of 3.....

The weakest race is the half-elf... for now, untill they have some At-Will ability which is worth a damn for another class to half (thought I may be playing one for story reasions..)
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

thetrickygnome
Slave to this message board
Slave to this message board

Postby thetrickygnome » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:20 pm

David, subject to change of course, I will be taking both of the following feats which alter and
enhance my breath weapon; enlarged dragon breath & empowered dragon breath. So yes, I am
going to work for making it as powerful as I can and since it requires ana attack roll, I can crit
with my breath weapon. I can also use my breath weapon as a minor action, take a 5 foot step
and deliver my regular attacks for that round

Furthermore, I'm taking Dragonborn frenzy (+2 to damage to bloodied creatures) & Bloodthirst
(+2 to hit bloodied creatures) and Devastating Critical (+1d10 of critical hits).

I'm not gonna worry about negativity towards the race I decide to play. Everyone is entitled to
their opinion & I'll listen as long as it is given respectfully so no big deal. It's my chance to play a
dragonlike creature in a Living Campaign which is something I've dreamed of doing and I LOVE the
roleplay potential they have embedded within their history. I can't wait for the Forgotten Realms
Handbook to come out to read about them in even more detail.

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:04 pm

I'm just glad about the stuff they've done for humans. I chugged along in AD&D playing humans for the most part, despite humans not really having much of anything to show for it. Then 3E came along and gave humans a bonus skill point and a bonus feat. And now humans get a bonus trained skill, bonus feat, bonus at-will power, bonus language, +1 bonus to Fort, Ref, and Will Defense, and a +2 bonus to any one stat of choice. Now THAT is sweet! Can't wait to play a human in 4E.

That being said, yes, Dragonborn are bad ass. They're my second or third choice behind humans, neck and neck with Tieflings.

Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Postby Dwraith » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:35 pm

i have my character map out and most of the dragonborn feats i am picking. You say Dragonborn sucks? You clearly don't know anything yet about the game. You making the same remarks that ramon was saying...
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:03 am

I just wish the half-elf was not so sucky... its the WORST race in the game bar none

Pb
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:03 am

Heh, let me rephrase my quick one liner from the previous post.

The Dragonborn class is the most basic of the races. I don't mean that in the sense that it is weaker, it just has fewer abilities that catch a person's eye. Of course the Dragonborn is the ultimate paladin race because of its stat modifiers but the powers it grants are limited in some respects which is where my comment stems from.

Dragonborn Fury: When you’re bloodied, you gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls.

Now on the surface this looks awesome, you fight better when you are beat up. It makes sense, your adrenaline is pumping and you're fighting for your survival. The downside is you have to be at 1/2 your hit points or less for this effect to kick in. This means that the power is limited in the sense that it has a restriction of when it can be used. The extreme worry that I would have is that if you are half your hit points you are getting beat up and the monsters in the Monster Manual are bad ass and don't take sh*t from the PCs anymore.

Draconic Heritage: Your healing surge value is equal to one-quarter of your maximum hit points + your Constitution modifier.

Okay now this is a nice ability, you get more than normal for your healing surge, but it's your Constitution modifier. At low levels this is an extremely worthwile ability but at higher levels this doesn't do much other than give you a small edge others don't have especially if the magic system is as bare as the 4.0 game suggests.

Dragon Breath: You can use dragon breath as an encounter power.

Once again this is a nice, unique ability to deal damage that functions well at lower-levels but at the higher tiers this damage becomes inconsequential. The reason I say that is because first off it is an Encounter Power (1 per fight), second even at its maximum it does 3d6+Con which without magic items and with your Con maxed out it comes to 3d6+8 damage; reminder that is once per fight. Now if you use it as a tactical weapon to hit multiple enemies at once then this is a great power, it is the opening power in fact, run up to the bunched enemies and release the fury.

---

The only problem is that this class (along with the Halfling) do not have any passive powers that are constantly active. Every other race has something that is always active: Dwarves, Encumbered Speed; Eladrin, Eladrin Will; Elf, Group Awareness/Wild Step; Half-Elf, Dilettante/Dual Heritage/Diplomacy; Human, Human Defense Bonus; Tiefling, Fire-Resistance.

That was the jist of my comment regarding this class.

Suck was the wrong word, it is the class with the least passive abilities.

---

As for the Half-Elf it is extremely powerful if built correctly, unfortunately the only good class for it is the Warlord. The Half-Elf can take Elf or Human specific feats, it gets to choose an at will power of another class and use it as an encounter power, it grants a bonus to diplomacy within 10 squares (which helps with aiding another checks).
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:18 am

can be somewhat powerful...

But power for power and ability for ability... the Half-Elf is the worst race in the game... ok, they get access to elf feats, but they can only take one because the other requires the elven racial power.

Humans far out-strip Half-Elves.. +1 diplomacy within 10', when you look at the powers of all the other races.. it’s VERY weak.

I still plan on making my character a half-elf... Thinking Ranger with Warlord powers, (Swashbuckler type)
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:35 pm

reason I say that is because first off it is an Encounter Power (1 per fight), second even at its maximum it does 3d6+Con which without magic items and with your Con maxed out it comes to 3d6+8 damage; reminder that is once per fight.

Don't forget the Empowered Dragon Breath Feat. That'll increase the damage to 3d10 + Con. And Minions are just as vulnerable to this at higher levels as they are at low levels. Moreso, as you'll probably also have the Feat that increases it to Blast 5, ths catching more of them.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:08 pm

War,

Why waste a whole feat to bump the damage to a d10 when there are more specific feats that help the character? Besides, minions don't scare me in the grand scheme of the combat, I'm more worried about the big bad guy, let the control wizard deal with them.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:16 pm

Bear in mind that, with that feat, your dragon breath damage becomes roughly comparable to your At-Will powers at that level. And unlike most At-Will powers, it's at least Blast 3, with the potential to catch up to 9 enemies. And it's a Minor Action, so you can still make your regular attacks. That's not half-bad. Pretty sweet for a Fighter, certainly, as he'll mark anyone caught in his breath attack. I think it's a pretty sweet race. Just wish they'd put out a Racial Feat that gives you wings and the ability to fly. I'd be fine with it even if it was Epic Tier. I just want those wings. :D

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:39 pm

Downside to that attack is catching allies in it.
- Philip Slama

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:00 pm

Let them suffer! :|]

Anyway, here's some more info on the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide from the July previews article.

September: Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide
We’ve just begun to start previewing the Campaign Guide, so detailed information on the Player’s Guide will need to wait . . . for just a short while longer. That said, let’s take a look at some of the information this book does contain:

Races: Information on playing races from the 4th Edition Player’s Handbook in the Realms . . . plus new races added to the list.
Classes: An entirely new class and new multiclass-only class (available to characters who have a spellscar, a mark that is the corroded echo of spellfire twisted by the disaster that was the Spellplague), as well as new paragon paths and an epic destiny.
Backgrounds: Regional benefits for characters.
Feats: New class and multiclass feats, plus Channel Divinity and racial feats.
Rituals: New rituals between levels 1-30.
Almanac: Quite a bit of setting information, on everything from lore, currency, cosmology, to information on the Spellplague.

I'm especially interested by that "multiclass-only class". Looks to be how Spellfire works in 4E. Hello, Shandril Shessair!

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:35 pm

"Alternatively, if you can wait until September 2008, the new swordmage class debuting in the Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide mixes swordplay and spellcasting in a manner that may best fit your duskblade’s style."

From a new atrical (how ro convert your character: players handbook II) on the WOTC site.. I may have to wait for the book before I make my charactrer
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Living Forgotten Realms”