Let's Talk About Witch Hunter

Brand new and shiny from the makers of Arcanis!

Moderator: Peewee

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Let's Talk About Witch Hunter

Postby Highmoon » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:19 am

I'm rescuing some bits from a thread that has gone down the drain:

chainsaw_derelct wrote:What do people think of Witch Hunter? I'm tempted to pick up a copy and see what it's like. Will see if I swing by before the next extended trip for some light reading material.

Needles wrote:Whitchhunter is fun to play; I just wish they had miniatures to go with it and a grid. This "imagine the play in your mind" stuff can get screwy at times. It is easy to learn, if you liked first edition DnD; you'll like the mechanics of playing Whitchhunter. You do it all in your head. If you don't mind that, you'll enjoy the game. It has a lot of white wolf stuff about it in its mechanics in play. Like DnD, it will take your character a long time to get powerful. I mean it'll take a lot of adventures. :D

Peewee, The Stat Monkey God,, The Stat Monkey God, wrote:
chainsaw_derelct wrote:What do people think of Witch Hunter? I'm tempted to pick up a copy and see what it's like. Will see if I swing by before the next extended trip for some light reading material.

Well I know they have two copies at the new store.. and so far no one that has picked it up has not liked it..

Best way to see if you like it is to come bye on saterday and play a game with a pregen character... if you like it.. get it.. if not.. no harm done

thetrickygnome wrote:As much as Witch Hunter sounds intriguing, I have just way too many systems I play currently and I don't have the finances to support them all. I have not bought an LA book in ages because of having to divert cash flow between LG and Blackmoor ( plus the sporadic play in our area but that seems to be getting fixed soon... ;) )

Financially and in terms of time-wise, I lack both to be able to get into this new system. Real life such as family, work, bills, and health come first. I wish the system well however. I used to be an avid recreational player of Werewolf the Apocalypse and have had exposure to other White Wolf. If I were to ever play it, I doubt I would be able to do so with any sense of consistency. I know the kind of PC I would play too which is a shame.

Oh lottery where are you so I could retire early and have more free time?

Lord Neden wrote:As to Witch Hunter, Great Game, Plan on Writing for it. Excellent and simple mechanics. Some glaring loopholes I mentioned to the administration (Especially when it comes to religion WTF) but for the most part, probably one of the better genre related games out there! Definetly play it! It has been worth the time so far.

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: Let's Talk About Witch Hunter

Postby Highmoon » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:40 am

I loved the concept from the start, and I have not been disappointed by it as I read through the book. PCI did a great job here: very evocative setting with simple-yet-functional rules (and a bit of Story Gaming, too, if that term means anything to you). I like to get games just cause, but I know that I won't get to play/run most of them; Witch Hunter is an exception, and I will be running a Play by Email game soon to start.

thetrickygnome wrote:As much as Witch Hunter sounds intriguing, I have just way too many systems I play currently and I don't have the finances to support them all. I have not bought an LA book in ages because of having to divert cash flow between LG and Blackmoor ( plus the sporadic play in our area but that seems to be getting fixed soon... ;) )

Financially and in terms of time-wise, I lack both to be able to get into this new system. Real life such as family, work, bills, and health come first. I wish the system well however. I used to be an avid recreational player of Werewolf the Apocalypse and have had exposure to other White Wolf. If I were to ever play it, I doubt I would be able to do so with any sense of consistency. I know the kind of PC I would play too which is a shame.

Oh lottery where are you so I could retire early and have more free time?

Well, if it's any consolation, the great thing about WH right now is that it's just the core book, and frankly that's all you need (though I saw the GM's Screen at Gen Con and it was sweet - I should have picked it up then). Get the core book and you have lots of free adventures to use/get inspired by with Dark Providence. I know it's $40, but as someone who is exposed to a lot of games, let me tell you that in 2007, it would be one of the top 5 expenditures for a new game, hands down. There's also the PDF, as a cheaper option.

Lord Neden wrote:Some glaring loopholes I mentioned to the administration (Especially when it comes to religion WTF)

Actually, Ramon, care to expand on this? I am quite interested in this aspect of the game, so I'd like to hear what you had to say.

Return to “Witch Hunter: Dark Providence”