Pre-Summoning Witch Hunter?

Brand new and shiny from the makers of Arcanis!

Moderator: Peewee

Griffman
Slave to this message board

Pre-Summoning Witch Hunter?

Postby Griffman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:58 pm

So when are we actually going to play some WH:DP? I know everyone has been talking about doing it for a while but I'm surprised nothing has been set up with all this hype.
-Matthew Tearle

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:15 am

I keep hearing the game system is not finished better to wait because it was released prematurely and not very playable.

ParadigmPrez
Paradigm Concepts Head Cheeze

Postby ParadigmPrez » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:15 pm

Hello,

I don't know where you got that information from, but its completely wrong. We've had over a thousand different players try Witch Hunter at Origins, Gen Con, DragonCon, Wicked Harvest I-IV as well as a plenty of home games and no one has ever said it was unplayable. In fact, based on sales after these events were held, I'd say a good number of people had a good time.

Is it perfect? Nope - there are a few little mistakes that got into the works, but in no was it is unplayable.

So if you're holding off playing because of that rumor, then you're missing out on a really fun gaming experience.

Thanks to my "secret friend" for letting me know of this post. ;-)

Best,
Henry Lopez
President
Paradigm Concepts, Inc.
http://www.paradigmconcepts.com
http://www.livingarcanis.com

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:45 pm

Henry it's not that we don't like the game, we're just waiting for it to be smoothed out. There are still some problems that we see and we're waiting for them to be fixed. That's all.

We're hyped to play but its sort of hard to do that when your class' brand of magic isn't anywhere in the book.

There are already like three full tables (18 people) prepped and ready to go with characters, we all have the book, we're just waiting for the opportunity to get organized and play.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

ParadigmPrez

Postby ParadigmPrez » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:47 pm

Hello Philip,

Ozymandius wrote:We're hyped to play but its sort of hard to do that when your class' brand of magic isn't anywhere in the book.

You lost me.

As far as Sorcerous Traditions, there is Animism, Hermetic and Prayer and I know that all three have a viable system, rites, etc. and people are playing all three quite readily and handedly.

Are you referring to that or one that is not developed in the Core Book. If the latter, then that's not a fault of mechanics if the "concept" you want to play is not yet available.

If otherwise, then please explain as I have no idea of you not being able to play any of the three I noted above.

Best,
Henry Lopez

President

Paradigm Concepts, Inc.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:57 am

My "Priest" uses a different brand of magic in the "Witch Hunter: Dark Providence" book. Because of this my character is sitting on the sidelines. My magic is listed in the book but when you look for spells you find no applicable spells. So technically I can cast but have no spells that I know yet.

I could play the character but I would be severly at a disadvantage should we ever encounter a "fight" however I could function perfectly during the rest of the episode. My character was built to act as a zealot, a crusader, a fanatic holy man bent on divine justice in the mortal realm.

Unfortunately my magical defenses are not available so I must rely on my Parry, that is all I can do during combat, parry multiple attacks as I wait for them to come towards me.

I can boost my ally's morale, attempt to keep them from fleeing and making "knowlegeable" guesses with my high Education skills as to what we are fighting.

Other than that though I'm a target, plain and simple.

Henry don't get me wrong. The game looks awesome and I've seen it played at DragonCon but some of us are just waiting before our group heads out. We all want to be 100% viable before we go off into the dark realm of Witch Hunter. A half-cocked character is a surefire recipie for death and that's something I should know about, I've offed enough characters in my time.

Let us bide our time, we'll get involved, it's just that most of us are getting really disturbed that the game is changing so radically and our normal fallback games are either not in production or our homegame brand has come to a impasse due to work constraints.

Trust me, you've got a good product.

I'm still playing Arcanis aren't I? I outbid the hell out of everyone at Origins and they kept me from buying multiple items when I showed up rich as hell. I loved the great cinematic sequence of me dying (at the hands of a cheating judge) and then getting ressurected.

I'm still playing but the games are becoming predictable. And I don't mean your games. It's every game I play. I sit down play for about twenty minutes and then I know where the story is going to go and what I'm going to have to do to succeed. Stories without a twist or a suprise in them are boring.

Witch Hunter has what I want from what I've heard so far. I'm looking forward to playing.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

ParadigmPrez

Postby ParadigmPrez » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:25 pm

Hello,

Ozymandius wrote:My "Priest" uses a different brand of magic in the "Witch Hunter: Dark Providence" book. Because of this my character is sitting on the sidelines. My magic is listed in the book but when you look for spells you find no applicable spells. So technically I can cast but have no spells that I know yet.

You're still not being very clear, but if I understand you correctly, you ish to play a Priest but of a type not covered in the book. So for example, you wish to play a Rabbi or Muslem, but the rites are too "Christian" for you to play them properly, IYO. Is this a correct assumption?

Assuming that it is: While we do mention other types of religious priests, the Core book of WH cannot be an exhaustive and detailed sourcebook on every religion that existed in that period. So again, I don't see this as a failure with the mechanics - if in my home campaign someone wanted to play either of the above, I have enough examples to tweak the rites available to make them fit or to create new ones.

If you are referring to playing said PC in the Organized Play campaign, then you'll just have to play by the rules available like everyone else. I'm sure you agree that it is impossible to anticipate everyone's likes and dislikes and attempt to address them in one book.

If I have made an incorrect assumption, then please be clear on what exactly is the problem as I'm just not understanding what the issue is.

Best,
Henry Lopez

President

Paradigm Concepts, Inc.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:59 pm

Thanos wrote:I keep hearing the game system is not finished better to wait because it was released prematurely and not very playable.

wow, thats like saying that world of darkness games are not very playable...

Why do you think its not?
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:44 pm

I have found the problem now Henry.

When I made my original statements I had not read the Eratta File which described my problem. It had to do with Hermetic Rites and Blessings and how they actually worked. I went back to the main site to check if my questions had been answered and they were.

My character is ready for play.

The hard part now is convincing some of the others to come out of their shell and find a person to run an episode for us.
- Philip Slama

Griffman

Postby Griffman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:48 pm

The only thing that seems to be keeping me from playing WH:DP is the lack of people that want to judge it. Everyone I've spoken with wants to play the campaign but nobody is willing to learn the system merely to judge it.
-Matthew Tearle

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:43 pm

Peewee, The Stat Monkey God,, The Stat Monkey God, wrote:
Thanos wrote:I keep hearing the game system is not finished better to wait because it was released prematurely and not very playable.

wow, thats like saying that world of darkness games are not very playable...

Why do you think its not?

I heard it from 2 players up in Origins and I have heard it down here from 3 different people. At Origins the players said the game had no magic system and down here the word was magic system wasn't complete. Don't shoot the messenger I was just stating why I haven't played the game. When I asked someone about the game they say wait.

I haven't played the game and I know jack sh*t about it except the game world looks hella cool.

My advice to get people playing is have a game day. Have the game day start at at noon. Have a 2 hour(probably only need one but hey this is Miami and you have to figure in Cuban Time) learning the rules intro and character creation and then start a module. Maybe you can recruit a couple guys from Melbourne to come down and start us off with seasoned rules mongers and GMs. I will even buy them a beer, shot and a lap dance if your pull ain't up to it :).

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:42 pm

well after the summoning I will look into a WH game day as well at the new store.... so we will end up with a LA and a WH game day every month...

would that be cool with you all?
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:19 am

Peter, not to be whatever but maybe you should do an alternating GameDay type thing with LA one month and Witch Hunter the next? It's not normally a good idea to laden down a month with so many games.
- Philip Slama

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:19 am

Well seeing we have greyhawk at the start of the month.. I was thinking LA at the middle and WH at the end...

OR.... we can run it as a PCI game day.. one LA and one WH every month... back to back
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Witch Hunter: Dark Providence”