GenCon 2007: Dark Providence

Brand new and shiny from the makers of Arcanis!

Moderator: Peewee

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

GenCon 2007: Dark Providence

Postby Ozymandius » Thu May 10, 2007 12:25 pm

Okay, well after scanning the GenCon 2007 for the "Witch Hunter: Dark Providence" listing I finally have a better understanding of when this game takes places and how to gear myself towards it. Here is the current scenario breakdown.

---

Dark Providence - DP01 Storm Front
By Sean Molley

Hunting pirates is a job for the navy, not for Witch Hunters. But ghost ships are another matter entirely, and when Sir Henry Morgan asks for your assistance in putting such superstitious tales to rest...one way or another...it's hard to say no. It is spring, 1689, in Port Royal, the capital of the English territory of Jamaica. This is an introductory event.

Dark Providence - DP02 Swans
By Sean Molley

Wrath is said to be the "love of justice perverted to revenge and spite." It goes hand-in-hand with Pride as two common Deadly Sins. These sins are deadly indeed for the village of Boswyck, not far from New Amsterdam, on a fine summer day in 1689. This is an introductory event.

Dark Providence - DP03 Loss of Innocence
By Sean Molley

Claims of witchcraft abound in Boston, Puritan capital of the New World. It is summer, 1689; The Brotherhood of Ash sends Witch Hunters to mete out justice to the servants of the Adversary. But who is the innocent, and who is the guilty? This is an introductory event.

Dark Providence - DP04 (Title Unknown)
By Sean Molley

(Blurb Unknown)

Dark Providence - DP05 Dedication (Premiere)
By Sean Molley

Dedication is a powerful force no matter the cause; personal, professional, or religious. But when these causes all share the same goal then dedication becomes the difference between profit and loss, success and failure, life and death! In Quebec, the capitol of New France in the summer of 1689, the Witch Hunters will be witnessing the Dedication of the new Cathedral.

---

Congradulations are in order for those who worked so hard on this product. Please inform Henry that it looks great and from the current list of stories that I can find it looks exciting and great fun, the Living Death atmosphere, which appears comperable I have yet to test.

But this brings a new perspective to the game, we had the dates wrong in our guestimation here on the board. It is the turn of the century, the 17th century...

Which means the United States does not exisit, the United Kingdom is in charge, we are still the colonies, and our biggest problem is just trying to survive in this new "frontier" land.

This brings the "Church" into strong focus and makes them, based on what I've seen here, a driving force in this story for reasons yet unknown as religion was the most important aspect of this time for the people of the New World.

It's going to be an interesting time, Peter, you'll have to score us DP01-DP04 after Origins for us to play it sometime. I'm really looking forward to my Puritain/Quaker Evangelist or my hard-line Roman Catholic priest. Good work here.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Thu May 10, 2007 5:13 pm

Well I think we need to see how the game system is going to play out. From what Peter says its not a d20 product.

Even though the game sounds interesting if the mechanics sux then the game will sux.

chris82

Postby chris82 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:29 pm

Okay, well after scanning the GenCon 2007 for the "Witch Hunter: Dark Providence" listing I finally have a better understanding of when this game takes places and how to gear myself towards it. Here is the current scenario breakdown.

The DP-04 mod is, to my understanding, an Origins exclusive and won't be at GenCon.

Well I think we need to see how the game system is going to play out. From what Peter says its not a d20 product.

It not being a D20 product is a good thing.

Even though the game sounds interesting if the mechanics sux then the game will sux.

Then by that logic D20 should have crashed and burned years ago. It's a terribly flawed system and the mechanics suck. They've been trying to fix it ever since they released it, and not very successfully either.

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Thu May 10, 2007 5:48 pm

Not being d20 don't make it good either. I have enjoyed plenty of d20 products. D20 is familiar to most players and would be the easiest for players to get into.

I am open to pretty much anything as long as it is fun. If they create some crazy complicated rules system that you have to invest lots of hours learning and the average joe can't figure it out I think it will be a failure. The top 10% gamers will love it but you will have no base. I enjoyed starfleet battles alot but good luck trying to find players for it.

chris82

Postby chris82 » Thu May 10, 2007 6:12 pm

Not being d20 don't make it good either.

I agree. There are plenty of D20 products that are great. Like Arcanis. Most of WoTC's stuff is trash though.

I have enjoyed plenty of d20 products. D20 is familiar to most players and would be the easiest for players to get into.

I enjoy plenty of D20 products myself, that doesn't change the fact that it's a crappy system.

Yes, it would be easier for players to get into, but at the same time WoTC will most likely pull the OGL when they put out 4th, which will probably be sooner rather than later, and then you can only use the 3.5 and earlier rules, and you'll probably get sued everytime you even attempt to use new rules that resemble WoTC's 4th Ed.

I am open to pretty much anything as long as it is fun. If they create some crazy complicated rules system that you have to invest lots of hours learning and the average joe can't figure it out I think it will be a failure. The top 10% gamers will love it but you will have no base. I enjoyed starfleet battles alot but good luck trying to find players for it.

I agree. I'm open to just about anything that's fun to play. :) I really doubt PCI will put out a system that needs Calculus to play though, that just doesn't seem to be their style.

Either way, I suppose we'll find out at Origins. :)

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu May 10, 2007 7:10 pm

Thanos wrote:Well I think we need to see how the game system is going to play out. From what Peter says its not a d20 product.

Dude it’s a very simple system, Roll – Ability +Skill for # of Success d10 based system reminiscent of 7th sea, world of darkness, and L5R, with a few new twists.

It’s a very simple system that very easy to pick up... and the rules are solid
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

chris82

Postby chris82 » Thu May 10, 2007 11:07 pm

Dude it’s a very simple system, Roll – Ability +Skill for # of Success d10 based system reminiscent of 7th sea, world of darkness, and L5R, with a few new twists.

Ah, 7th Sea. That was a fun game before it went D20. AEG tried, they just never captured the original flavor.

Anywho, this reply will now return to your regularly scheduled topic. :)

I really thought that the system would be D10 based after I read that it was supposed to be a Dice Pool/ Success system. I'm really interested to see what kind of wrinkles you've added into your system that sets it apart from those named above. Guess I'll find out when I buy my copy at Origins. :)

It’s a very simple system that very easy to pick up... and the rules are solid

I haven't even looked at it and I'll agree with you that it should be easy to pick up. Every other system I've played similar to it has been.

The only real concern I have at this point is that the game sounds a little like a Colonial Era Hunter: The Reckoning, which is not necessarily a bad thing. :)

Thanks for coming and talking about the system a little bit. I can't wait to try it out at Origins and GenCon. More previews would be sweet. :D

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Fri May 11, 2007 8:45 am

Real men use the Battletech d6 system...
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

chris82

Postby chris82 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:33 pm

lol

I remember that system, and you do have to be a man to play an entire game with it, lol

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Fri May 11, 2007 6:57 pm

chris82 wrote:Thanks for coming and talking about the system a little bit. I can't wait to try it out at Origins and GenCon. More previews would be sweet. :D

Well I will tell you one additional thing we took from d20.. we call them Talents think feats. and they follow a lot of the same, basic "flex the rules" concepts.

I also like the magic system, the fighting styles kick butt... well for more you will need to pick up the book :oP
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

chris82

Postby chris82 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:09 pm

Well I will tell you one additional thing we took from d20.. we call them Talents think feats. and they follow a lot of the same, basic "flex the rules" concepts.

I think that's a pretty cool idea. I think that the feats were one of the better concepts that was implemented in D20, and really help to shape a character. I have faith that the WH talents will be just as useful in that regard, without being as system breaking as some feats were in D20.

I also like the magic system, the fighting styles kick butt...

Fighting styles, you say? Intriguing.

well for more you will need to pick up the book

Blast! Foiled again, :lol:. Origins needs to get here already, so that I can buy a copy of the book. :)

Thanks for the info, Peter

Return to “Witch Hunter: Dark Providence”