Rolling thunder

The other D&D meat.

Moderators: MorganWolf, Ozymandius, Jay

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Rolling thunder

Postby Thanos » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:47 pm

Awesome mod I really enjoyed it. People were crapping their pants. Great suspense and the party was stead fast even with the chance of total destruction and the loss of our characters. Looking forward to Megacon BI.

Kudos Terror Inc FTW

thetrickygnome
Slave to this message board

Re: Rolling thunder

Postby thetrickygnome » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:01 am

"Rolling Thunder" is a clear example of what you get when you allow good writers with an excellent
grasp of creativity, imagination, and daring adventure to do what they do best. The storyline was
cool and the danger level was always there, just enough to leave you on the edge of your seat but
only enough to push you off if you did something stupid ( I will never look at a wrench the same way
again. ) My dwarven character really felt like he was striking a long term success for the his race &
the world and that is what you want to instill in the players. Make them understand that even though
they are a drop in the bucket, that drop is having a major impact on the big picture. With the
exception of Tad Kilgore, and this is not meant as an offense to other Blackmoor writers, no other
Blackmoor writers have sustained the level of high quality writing that Greg Walker and crew have
put forth and whatever the future holds for the campaign and whether they write more or not, the
staff should look to their work and the positive responses they get from it and mirror their style and
innovation.

Sadly, I will not be able to play the BI at MegaCon due to my obligations to my charity work and after
having played "Rolling Thunder" and getting a glimpse of what is coming, it will undoubtably be one
of my great gaming regrets. At the very least I'd like to know how it ends though, be it a copy of the
mod afterwards or through word of mouth.

Good job Greg and thanks for running it for us. Oh, and next time you come to run a mod or play,
bring some of that good liquor you had with you. ;)

Signed- Rene' Alfonso

MorganWolf
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby MorganWolf » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:14 pm

I concur, the quality of modules produced by terror inc. and Tad K. just to name a few have been supreb and hate to see that quality of work not be shown by others. They sure made me crap myself a couple of times and having not played 3.5 for a while almost made me forget how to prepare my characters for those quality of mods. Rolling Thunder made the grade - move over detriot theres a new FORD in town.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:00 am

Now if that can just get that quality of writing into LFR!
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

thetrickygnome

Postby thetrickygnome » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:28 am

The reason the mods written by Terror Inc work is because of the following:

1) The people involved are gifted writers with amazing imaginations.
2) The campaign staff of Dustin and Dave Arenson ALLOW the writers of Terror Inc to get much
more creative and innovative with their storylines.
3) Even when Terror Inc writes something really off the hook like fudge dragons, evil brownies,
or crazed candy men, their outrageousness has a purpose and a flow that is very likable.
4) The basis on most of their mods in centered on a powerful story that engrosses the PCs and
makes the players want to involve themselves in it. In essence, the players connect with the
story. Anyone who knows my LG writing style will tell you that the stats are just decoration to me
because the story is paramount to all other things. It is the backbone of all adventurers.
5) The rewards are worthy of the challenge.

LFR has yet to do some of this and I think that alot of it is very tightly structured which leads to
alot of formulaic work. I have had fun in 4.0 so do not assume I am saying its a bad campaign but
I'm still looking for the "it factor" in the campaign. Still I like it enough to keep playing.

Signed- Rene' Alfonso

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:04 pm

The writing we use in 3.5 doesn't transfer well to 4.0 because of a lack of mechanics. Because the former system was so complex we could basically use "interpretation" to sidestep problems but in 4.0 its black and white terms. And many of the patchthroughs we use were eliminated when most spells went out the door.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

grey
King of the hill
King of the hill

Postby grey » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:41 pm

Why Ramon I'm in shock. That's not a positive attitude.
When life gives you lemons you make lemonade.
When you step in a pile of crap. You scoop it up, put it in a bag and set it on the front porch of a neighbor you hate. You light it on fire, ring the doorbell and run like hell.

I refuse to accept that you can't make 4.0 fun.
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts, Study hard be evil.
Nobody's perfect... well, there was this one guy, but we killed him.

Living City Forums
webmaster@livingcity.net aka Albert

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:44 pm

grey wrote: I refuse to accept that you can't make 4.0 fun.

Just ask the people in my home game on Saterday Nights...

they are having a blast, because Im a good GM and a good storyteller...

If I can take BESM (Big Eyes Small Mouth) and make it a fun RP intense game, well you know the rest.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:17 am

It's not that you CAN'T make 4.0 fun, just that much of the fun that made our homegames spectacular was removed in the 3.5/4.0 conversion.

Our homegame was littered with roleplaying, more so than any other game I have ever seen and combat was sparse in between. HOWEVER when combat did begin it was epic, on a scale of grand implications and failure was not an option; except when the Scaladar are involved.

Take this as an example, during the middle of the Moonsphere Festival the City of Shade reappears and they try to corrupt the Moonsphere and attack all of the guests at the party. Well the level 3 good guys are looking at each other going, "sh*t, we are dead," while Gaston, the paladin of Mystra, goes charging off to hold back the advancing shades. The Thayan wizards just stand therre watching doing nothing and then it hits us, why don't we get them into this fight? We had to roleplay inside of a massive combat to get their help to protect the sphere all the while helping others escape and then eventually joning in the fight.

That is a balance of both worlds that I am interested in. We had long hours of roleplaying and then the massive combat fight, the epic story turner, just like in any good TV show.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:14 am

Ozymandius wrote:Take this as an example, during the middle of the Moonsphere Festival the City of Shade reappears and they try to corrupt the Moonsphere and attack all of the guests at the party. Well the level 3 good guys are looking at each other going, "sh*t, we are dead," while Gaston, the paladin of Mystra, goes charging off to hold back the advancing shades. The Thayan wizards just stand therre watching doing nothing and then it hits us, why don't we get them into this fight? We had to roleplay inside of a massive combat to get their help to protect the sphere all the while helping others escape and then eventually joning in the fight.

Ok you have not showed me anything here that you can't do in 4.0... it's a combat enconter with a skill chalange raped into it... BTW read the DMG, good RP'n can give automatic successes.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

grey
King of the hill
King of the hill

Postby grey » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:35 pm

it's just a game. so what if you imaginary penis is now smaller?
doesn't mean you can't have fun just the same.

play and have fun and don't worry how the game is different. enjoy what you have.
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts, Study hard be evil.
Nobody's perfect... well, there was this one guy, but we killed him.

Living City Forums
webmaster@livingcity.net aka Albert

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:22 pm

No, you can't Peter.

The game is based around high magic. With the removal of many of the utility spells available to wizards and their kin the game has a different flavor. Now to traverse that large hole you are going to have to come up with some great rope bridge or jump across or fly across. Before we could simply cast a Resilient Sphere in it's place and continue moving.

The "Utility" of DnD has been reduced in the newest edition.

Now you can no longer surprise your enemies by Dimension Door'ing into their room, now you must have line of sight. Some of the more flavorful spells are gone and now they must be replaced by "Powers."

The main sticking point with me is that 4.0 has limited my options and in doing so has limited my ability to provide interesting and exotic solutions to the problems we face as adventurers.

No longer can you play Rob's "Gerry" character, no longer can you play Rose the magic-hater, no longer can you play Dr. Finch, no longer can you play Benny Barzini or Armando Vega.

No longer do you have those characters that stand out a notch above the rest. Roleplaying wise you could compete on the same level as the characters previously mentioned but mechanics wise you can't hold a candle to them because the classes are too similar.

No longer are you specialized to serve a role as in 3.5, now you must generalize so you can provide support for all. When you used to generalize you were good at many things but suffered severe setbacks in many other areas or special powers, it was that specialization that added a spark to your character and gave them a defining role that people would remember you for.

I'll quote Glen Frey at this point:

Now you're back again, and you're feeling strange
So much has happened, but nothing has changed
You still don't know where you're goin'
You're still just a face in the crowd.
- Philip Slama

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:34 pm

you do have utility....

Hell in some ways the world of D&D has become event more magical due to the fact that anyone can cast Utility spells taking one feat.

Last time I checked, again in my home game, my players worked arround an issue though the use of a well placed Ritural.

and BTW, the stats do not make the character.. I bet you I can make an Armano Vega.. hell look at the newest encantation of Chillhiadrin, a swashbucking magic weilding force of nature which deals damage on par with the striker... and still play the defender roll.

get your head out of the [ ]

at this point I see there is no way to show you otherwise... like an old cuban you are set in your ways and will always call back to days past and say "this didint happen in 3.0" forgetting that there was crap there two, just of a diffrent color.
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

MorganWolf
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby MorganWolf » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Hey pete, leave this posting FUCKING ALONE!!! this is blackmoor go talk 4.0 crap on its own area- that goes for everyone.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:27 pm

MorganWolf wrote:Hey pete, leave this posting FUCKING ALONE!!! this is blackmoor go talk 4.0 crap on its own area- that goes for everyone.

lol wow.. we are having a nice discussion about 4.0 and blackmoor and you come here screaming

nice to see you BTW

BTW Blackmore is going 4e... so in a way its a blackmoor issue too
Peter B
Paradigm Concepts

- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Blackmoor”