TOP 10 THINGS OVERHEARD AT GENCON

The other D&D meat.

Moderators: MorganWolf, Ozymandius, Jay

MorganWolf
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby MorganWolf » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:25 am

I guess I will have to go thru this for all you that didn't get it the first time.

Heh, Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, you took the bait hook line and sinker about the Egg, that's how I know you metagame.

Hey boy, I have always known you were against the cabal the egg statement made by you was just something you wanted to ice the cake with. When you got killed just after the encounter- you said that and it just made you look foolish- your character that is.
you have always sown party dis-trust even with other cabal members.

I made the choice with the character if I got killed I wasn't coming back to the game with that character which is why I argued the point with the Baleful Polymorph. My spell technically functioned but because of a rules SNAFU I ended up dying instead.

The truth is that unknown at the time she would have killed his opponent and this argument would be mute, but because noone caught the misteak she was dead next round and p.j. forgot his spell is higher level. This gave the opponent an extra round and she died for it.

if you aren't aware of the tactical situation and capabilities of the enemy it doesn't matter how good you are you will be killed.

noone knows the capabilities of an opponent until you fight him and if he is better then prepare to lose people no matter how good you are. well bad saves can kill you too, but thats another matter all together.

I wholeheartedly agree that if the Arcane
Warrior had absolutely NO means of reaching the wizard to effectively
thwart him as a threat to a wizard win that arcane warriors party who is
being threatened in any way then the Arcane Warrior should be allowed
a pass. However, if they had any means of getting to them and being
effective against the foe who is posing a serious threat to the wizard in
his party ( be it with a potion of fly, tossing a necklace of fire balls bead,
ect. ) and did not attempt to go after that foe in order to prevent harm
of any kind to the wizard in his / her party then that arcane warrior did
indeed fail the Cabal IMHO.

reading my previous post you will see that the opponent had range on all of us even the fastest flyer's of our party. RANGE KILLS.

But besides that, if it was a "save or die" situation can he be held accountable for PJ's death? If so, what protects anyone else in that party? or for that matter, anyone in a party that has a character death from being held responsible for a characters death in that regard.

Sometimes theres just things you can't do and even if you can, there's always a nat 1.

thats exactly what happened regardless of me even hanging around his shoulders as a cloak of resistance. I would have loved that save even though I could have rolled that 1, but what can I say - I resist well but if I'm not the target then nothing I can do rules-wise or cabal-wise.

Greg killed me based on pure logic, take out the highest threat level and you work your way down the list.

I don't blame Greg, I don't blame Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, (but I shake my head in dissapointment), I don't blame anyone at the table. I had to choose, step up and lay down the firepower I was expected to bring or play it safe and let Ed or Ramon take a hit for the team and possibly lose their life. I made myself a target and I paid a high price. But based on the situation we could have lost a lot more people. Once you've played the module I'd be happy to explain the situation and the locations of the players.

We had only three visible targets, one got targeted, and one died.

Even p.j. admits he was going to be targeted no matter who else was around as I was one of the visible targeted I was not chosen, therefore they went for p.j.- we buffed all we could even though lady sarah wanted all the buffs herself being a selfish paladin( well needless to say she became useless by round 2) and I did say give the main buffs to the spellcasters as they need it more, but no ramon tried to take the buffs for himself but we stopped that cold.

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:27 am

lostpike wrote:
Xylona Ajani wrote:
The point is it's YOUR JOB to keep him alive

Where does it exactly say that specific rule, I'm sure that it says something else like aiding them or maybe even giving your life towards the cabal(thats means the organization, not a specific individual), but that above statement- I find it hard to believe it would say that.

Monica, read the book called...THE WIZARD CABAL. Arcane warriors are cops designed to protect wizards and be there footsoldiers. A wizard fell. Not just any wizard, but a war wizard. Technically, no matter what Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, did it still can be construed as his fault.

You are correct in your assumption that an arcane warrior does not have to role play his character like that. However, he should be prepared for the consquences if he doesnt. It is a role playing game after all.

sh*t Dave how many times have we seen Arcane warriors or War Wizards not support the Cabal? It happens all the time.

If they want to go on a witch hunt they should pull all Arcane Warriors and war wizards and look at the certs. "So John Doe how did you get this favor of the Eldrith underground.? You didn't turn the sorceror over to the cabal?" Arcane Warrior says"Uhm I was out voted by the party'.

weak sauce

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:30 am

lostpike wrote:I thought he wasnt permenantly removed. It was his personal choice not to bring his character back.

he needed a True Res or wish and currently there is no means of getting such spell cast as far as I know.

My character was willing to take him and spend 5 tu to get him ressurected but that wasn't good enuff.

thetrickygnome
Slave to this message board

Well if you really think so

Postby thetrickygnome » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:23 am

Not for nothing Renee when comes to Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, what you say is hardly impartial. You are gunning for him all the time.

Well if this the case in your opinion then I could turn around and say
the same thing about you Richard but in the total opposite direction.
You are NEVER impartial when it comes to Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,. You support EVERY-
THING he does regardless of your PCs race, religion, nationality, ect.
If it came down to choosing something that is important to the dwarven
nation or doing something to boost the Wizards Cabal at least now I
know where your allegiance lies.

I just made my point that if Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,'s PC had no way of getting to the
wizard doing the killing then he's off the hook. If he did have a means
to get there and interfere in the killing attack then he messed up ONLY
BY VIRTUE OF HIM BEING AN ARCANE WARRIOR.

Had Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, been a regular thug fighter type, a monk, sorcerer
( especially a sorcerer ), or some class like this with no clear connection
or allegiance to the Wizards Cabal then this would not be an issue.

Richard you should just cut to the chase and officially join the Wizards
Cabal if you already haven't that is.

Signed- Rene' Alfonso

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:52 am

It is a personal choice if I die.

But if the death was a technicality and my spell did work then I would be alive, not dead because the person who killed me was dead.

A paradox indeed.

Remember I never stated Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, was responsible for the death, only that I was DISSAPOINTED in his actions. They were clearly different from his other modules I have watched him play in. That was it, nothing against him except for the fact he didn't step into the fray immediately and do his job as a melee opponent.

That was it.

I didn't blame him for the death, even if he was a target it wouldn't have mattered because I still was outdoing him in damage and threatening ALL of the enemies with a single spell cast.

The point of this argument is misconstrewn.

The original argument was an Arcane Warrior responsible for the death. The answer in this case is no, but there are circumstances that had he been involved in the combat there would have been different results.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Needles

Postby Needles » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:45 am

As I understand it he couldn't be brought back nothing short of a True Reserection. That is PJ's words, I don't know why it is what it is. Probably some pact with the Egg.
There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

MorganWolf
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby MorganWolf » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:50 am

You are NEVER impartial when it comes to Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,. You support EVERY-

Rene that is not true, he has argued his points with me on multiple occassions. Just because he has not done it on livingcity doesn't mean he won't one day, he just feels that you attack me more than defend me.

The original argument was an Arcane Warrior responsible for the death. The answer in this case is no, but there are circumstances that had he been involved in the combat there would have been different results.

He has even admitted the situation was not my own, this is a moot point and because I choose how to combat does not mean I'm not doing it the way it should be, it is an opinion nevertheless.

Remember I never stated Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, was responsible for the death, only that I was DISSAPOINTED in his actions. They were clearly different from his other modules I have watched him play in. That was it, nothing against him except for the fact he didn't step into the fray immediately and do his job as a melee opponent.

First of all p.j. has not seen me play ALL the modules I have done, there are many in which I have used magic combat and won. When the opponent that killed p.j. had 3 melee types on him and I choose to fight with range why is it I am to blame?, the opponent could have blasted me at any time and his defenses were keeping the melee types at bay so I chose magic combat until the melee types were incapacitated, then I went to melee.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:35 am

I have seen most of your combat encounters Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,.

Episode 6: Losing Focus (Judge)
Episode 10: ATL 1 (Player) ATL 3 (Player)
Episode 18: Kissing Day (Player)
Episode 19: A Matter of Perspective (Judge)
Episode 23: Sign of the Arcanum (Judge)
Episode 24: Scaled Vengance (Player)
Episode 25: Wrongs Darker than Death or Night (Judge)
Episode X: Swamp Flies (Judge)
Episode 32: Eyes of Truth (Judge)
Episode 42: The Confectionary King (Observer/Author)
Episode 47B: The Night of Goss (Observer/Author/Judge)
Episode 52: Root of All Evil (Observer/Author/Judge)
Episode 63: Bug Hunt (Observer/Writer/Judge)
Episode 64: Where Angels Fear to Tread (Player)
Episode 65: Small Problems (Player)
Episode 67: Into the Lightless Depths (Obsever/Writer/Judge)
Episode 68: Big Trouble (Player)

We've only played 20+ Episodes together or I have been your judge. I guess I'm a terrible person to judge your actions since I don't know how you play based on the above... Hmm... Looks like your right Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,...
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

MorganWolf
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby MorganWolf » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:02 am

Monica, read the book called...THE WIZARD CABAL. Arcane warriors are cops designed to protect wizards and be there footsoldiers. A wizard fell. Not just any wizard, but a war wizard. Technically, no matter what Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, did it still can be construed as his fault.

You are correct in your assumption that an arcane warrior does not have to role play his character like that. However, he should be prepared for the consquences if he doesnt. It is a role playing game after all.

Thetrickygnome
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It reads as follows:

"Even though arcane warriors are controlled by the spirit and will of the
Wizards Cabal, they readily accept all other classes. They view rangers,
paladins, and monks as equals. THEY FEEL THAT WIZARDS AND OTHER
ARCANE MAGIC USERS ARE IN NEED OF CONSTANT PROTECTION AND
ACT AS THEIR MORAL ADVISORS AND PHYSICAL SUPPORT."

I believe the words "constant protection" are pretty clear in this regard.

Now that you both think that what it says this is my Arcane Warrior code and no other but the laws of magic in blackmoor. Next time get your sources correct!!!!

The Oath of conduct of the Arcane Warrior

I swear to remain loyal to the Wizard's cabal and to obey its laws and precepts in all things.

I swear to abide by the orders of my superiors save when they stand contrary to the precepts of the cabal.

I swear to respect the laws of the common man to obey
them as any citizen must and to violate them only when
necessary to fulfill my duties to the cabal.

I swear to give all my effort and yes even my life to stand between the common man and those who would use magic for evil.

I swear to destroy all who sully the image of magic in the eyes of the common man and who practice without the lawful writ of the cabal.

All these things I swear lest I be judged by my brethren and
condemned to die as yet another common criminal swept
under by the cabal's good justice.

Magic is life. Life is magic.

Let me live, let me die in the service of both.

If you didn't understand it the first time read it again since nowhere does it say I MUST/FEEL protect the wizards. I die for the cabal not its individual members. I have always followed those laws no exceptions and even those of you who hate arcane warriors cannot say I haven't.

Episode 6: Losing Focus (Judge)
Episode 10: ATL 1 (Player) ATL 3 (Player)----- never did ATL 1 WITH YOU-LOOK ELSEWHERE

Episode 18: Kissing Day (Player)
Episode 19: A Matter of Perspective (Judge)--- YOUR MOD I DID MOST OF YOURS WITH YOU SO STRIKE THOSE OUT

Episode 23: Sign of the Arcanum (Judge) --AGAIN
Episode 24: Scaled Vengance (Player)
Episode 25: Wrongs Darker than Death or Night (Judge) -- YOU WEREN'T MY JUDGE, LOGSHEET CONFIRMS IT-SORRY!!!!

Episode X: Swamp Flies (Judge)
Episode 32: Eyes of Truth (Judge) -AGAIN
Episode 42: The Confectionary King (Observer/Author)
Episode 47B: The Night of Goss (Observer/Author/Judge)
Episode 52: Root of All Evil (Observer/Author/Judge)
Episode 63: Bug Hunt (Observer/Writer/Judge)
Episode 64: Where Angels Fear to Tread (Player)----SORRY WRONG AGAIN NEVER DID THAT TITLE

Episode 65: Small Problems (Player)
Episode 67: Into the Lightless Depths (Obsever/Writer/Judge)
Episode 68: Big Trouble (Player)

We've only played 20+ Episodes together or I have been your judge. I guess I'm a terrible person to judge your actions since I don't know how you play based on the above... Hmm... Looks like your right Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,...

I KNOW I'M RIGHT YOU HAVE ONLY DONE 13 PERIOD WITH ME SO CHECK YOUR sh*t AGAIN. If you think that by being in 13 in whatever capacity you did you can judge me, check out the other almost 45 + I have played in then you can talk all you want. Even though you write cabal stuff and I admit it is good, you have only ever written to smite the cabal since you have always wanted to trash it personally, well when you write a story that does the opposite then I will say you are an objective writer!!!!!

Needles

Postby Needles » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:57 am

You know what guys, nothing going to change no matter what you all believe or what you say. Let's stop this pie fight before toes get stepped on or worse. Drop it, let it go, don't post anymore on this subject. As a matter of fact, grey580, I would lock this thread up before it gets any worse.

I know I'm blind siding you guys, but this has got to stop.
There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Re: Well if you really think so

Postby Thanos » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:07 pm

thetrickygnome wrote:
Not for nothing Renee when comes to Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, what you say is hardly impartial. You are gunning for him all the time.

Well if this the case in your opinion then I could turn around and say
the same thing about you Richard but in the total opposite direction.
If it came down to choosing something that is important to the dwarven
nation or doing something to boost the Wizards Cabal at least now I
know where your allegiance lies.

I just made my point that if Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,'s PC had no way of getting to the
wizard doing the killing then he's off the hook. If he did have a means
to get there and interfere in the killing attack then he messed up ONLY
BY VIRTUE OF HIM BEING AN ARCANE WARRIOR.

Had Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, been a regular thug fighter type, a monk, sorcerer
( especially a sorcerer ), or some class like this with no clear connection
or allegiance to the Wizards Cabal then this would not be an issue.

Richard you should just cut to the chase and officially join the Wizards
Cabal if you already haven't that is.

Signed- Rene' Alfonso

I will give you one thing Renee being anti-cabal is definitely the driving force behind your character. Maybe Mieroc will have me join the cabal to balance out your inequities.

As far as this whole Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, situation with this trial. I haven't argued one way or another about the duties of an arcane warrior. If they want to say Arcane Warrior must engage the most powerful spell caster in melee on the table then the can say that but to this point that hasn't been an arcane warrior rule. I agree arcane warriors should be held to a higher standard but so far in Blackmoor the vast majority of the arcane warriors I have seen have no standards(they play the class in name only) and no one has enforced them in mods or any other ways. There is no penalties for helping the Eldrith underground.

There is so many other arcane warriors or war wizards that have done so much worse to the Cabal and no one has ever cared. I do think the trials could be fun but they are going about it the wrong way. The need to pull in all arcane warriors. Let the players log-sheets and certs speak for themselves. I do think Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, could be vulnerable on this. He has made his share of cabal mistakes.

In my opinion the real travesty here is PJs character being permanently removed from the campaign . Since he died by a technicality. People should be supporting him to get his character back.

thetrickygnome

Here's what I think

Postby thetrickygnome » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:32 pm

I will give you one thing Renee being anti-cabal is definitely the driving force behind your character. Maybe Mieroc will have me join the cabal to balance out your inequities.

The Arcane Warriors must be loyal to their code of conduct.
I must be loyal to my conscience which sees the persecution of a
people just because of the nature of their birth and not a voluntary
choice as wrong. To not fight it would be wrong. It's easy to claim
that I have inequities when you turn a blind eye to injustice. And
don't worry about your character joining the Cabal.. I couldn't really
tell the difference anyways. ;)

As far as this whole Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, situation with this trial. I haven't argued one way or another about the duties of an arcane warrior. If they want to say Arcane Warrior must engage the most powerful spell caster on the table then the can say that but to this point that hasn't been an arcane warrior rule. I agree arcane warriors should be held to a higher standard but so far in Blackmoor the vast majority of the arcane warriors I have seen have no standards(they play the class in name only) and no one has enforced them in mods or any other ways. There is no penalties for helping the Eldrith underground.

We agree on these points. Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, plays his arcane warrior as good as I
have seen anyone play an arcane warrior ( as utterly frustrating and
annoying as it can be ). As for the enforcement of penalties for helping
the Eldritch Underground, you are right on this as well but this is a
campaign administrative issue. Hopefully they will react to this discussion
and see that it is necessary.

There is so many other arcane warriors or war wizards that have done so much worse to the Cabal and no one has ever cared. I do think the trials could be fun but they are going about it the wrong way. The need to pull in all arcane warriors. Let the players log-sheets and certs speak for themselves. I do think Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, could be vulnerable on this. He has made his share of cabal mistakes.

You mean like PJ trading a magic item to a arcane warrior so that that
arcane warrior can turn the other way? Yes, you are right- that sucks
but no one witnessed it so they got away with it. However, like I said
the decision to have trials needs to be done by the Blackmoor
administration and if they single out Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, as the only guy to put on
trial and ignore the rest then I would be mad as hell and defend NOT
his arcane warrior but his right to be treated fiarly and for the scales
to be balanced. If I find out that non-adminstrative people are pushing
to mess with Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami, then beleive me I will speak up against this. So if
anyone reading this is non-adminsitration and you are contemplating
doing this, you know where I stand. People may not agree with what I
say but I don;t screw around with how I feel about stuff like this. I
put up with my fair share of sh*t in the Triad from players trying to
demoralize us, goad, and villify us into giving them what they want &
it sucks.

In my opinion the real travesty here is PJs character being permanently removed from the campaign . Since he died by a technicality. People should be supporting him to get his character back.

I don't like it either but I think that when it comes to the way that the
Blackmoor staff has instituted the rules and enforced them, I honestly
feel that the good far outweighs the bad. I support his character coming
back but I also understand where Tad is coming from. There are some
precedents that are very dangerous to set and I think they are choosing
the cautious, albeit unfortunate option.

So I think what it comes down to between you and me is your
interpretation of how I should play my PC versus how I choose to
play my PC. Part of the aspect of the LG alignment I play is that I
will always be adamantly opposed to persectution of a person for
unjust reasons which I think is VERY reasonable. I'm sorry that you
cannot or are unwilling to understand this Richard but I have no
intention of playing my character to conform to the whim of others.
The gap between how you think and I think is very slim in some
areas and wide in others but that's okay because each character
type and race placing the same would be boring as hell. We agree to
disagree. I can live with that.

Signed- Rene' Alfonso

Dwraith
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged
MySpace Page: ilkhandraconis

Postby Dwraith » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:46 pm

ok, enough is enough. I am locking the thread for now.
Eli Wallace, "Well this couldn't get much worse?"
Dr. Nicholas Rush, "I'm afraid thats a failure of imagination."
Stargate Universe

Return to “Blackmoor”