Rules question for those that got it

This is the area for posts that have gone way off topic.
Needles
Slave to this message board

Rules question for those that got it

Postby Needles » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:46 pm

Can anyone point to the pages in what book the rule of, 'if the spell doesn't affect at least half of the creature the creature is not affected at all by a spell."

In the players hand book, in the chapter called magic, under the subject of aiming a spell, there is a sub heading called - Area. In Area it says that you choose an intersection, count out how far the spell affects in total then, "If the far edge of a square is within the spell's area, anything within that square is is within the spell's area." Therefore, a creature is affected in this area.

If anyone can find this rule of half you creature must be affected to suffer the consequences please let me know. I'd like to see it.

Also, under the rules for bursts, it says, "A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even creatures that you can't see."

Another rule I would like to find is the rule where you use firestorm and if the creature is size large you can double up the spell to do twice the damage.
There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

grey
King of the hill
King of the hill

Postby grey » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:36 pm

It might be in the dmg.
However the rule is that if the creature occupies at least a 5 foot square in the area off effect of the spell he suffers the spells effect.

so if a collassal creature only has a 5 foot square in the aoe of a spell he takes damage.

radius and burst spells all must have line of effect so that means they can't go around corners.
Spreads like cloudkill and the like do go around corners.
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts, Study hard be evil.
Nobody's perfect... well, there was this one guy, but we killed him.

Living City Forums
webmaster@livingcity.net aka Albert

lostpike
I really like Roleplaying
I really like Roleplaying

Postby lostpike » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:41 pm

But what if it is a tiny creature which only occupies half a square?

Also...If you have an Anti Magic Sheild which is a 10feet radius around you and you become large....does it grow or does it stay at your center?
"At the end of the day, Brandobaris smiles largest at the halfling with
the wildest tales."

Needles

Postby Needles » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:23 pm

According to the rules in the Dmg and in the same spot as area in the phb, you choose an intersection then count out squares from there. There is no place in the dmg or the phb that the space grows as the creature grows. Hence, colossal creature's are out of luck.
There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Return to “Pointless Drivel”