Pathfinder Society RPG

All the other campaigns crammed into one.
Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Pathfinder Society RPG

Postby Ozymandius » Wed May 06, 2009 12:30 pm

Question:

Patherfinder is out and it's got about twenty scenarios now, however...you have to purchase them before you can play them. It comes out to about $4.50 a module after all the fees are assessed but I know Rene had expressed an interest as well as several others. What do you think? Should we give it a go and chip in?
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

thetrickygnome
Slave to this message board

Re: Pathfinder Society RPG

Postby thetrickygnome » Wed May 06, 2009 1:12 pm

Pathfinder may be the only D&D format left that could get the gang playing like it used to.
I seriously doubt though that there is enough support to hold a con like the Summoning. Even
if we build up the game a little the player base is not what it used to be and it would be a loss
of funds IMHO. But it could still be something to do for home games and game days and at cons
like MegaCon, DragonCon, ect.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Wed May 06, 2009 3:52 pm

I may be up for a Pathfinder campaign if we start getting the mods..

Dude a table of 6.. everyone chips in 1 buck... thats 1.5 mods paid for every time we play.
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Wed May 06, 2009 6:31 pm

I will chip in

thetrickygnome

Postby thetrickygnome » Wed May 06, 2009 9:27 pm

I will chip in

As would I. If we are going to give this Pathfinder a serious look then let's do it and
find out if it's worth it or not. I'm really curious to see how they structure it once it
becomes a Living Campaign.

MorganWolf
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby MorganWolf » Wed May 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Gentlemen, The price should never be an issue, I remember the days of Forgotten Realms- Living City the mods were priced at $2 to $4 apiece and would you believe it in that time I ordered enough modules to play for the month that came out to $40 to $80 bucks a month for me. Yes I played that enough then, still can't believe it. The problem will definitely be who will be DM'ing first as we all know lets not kid ourselves it does matter to most players. When we deceide how it will work then we can continue- for the record I have eaten a tremendous amount of 4th edition mods as I had a steady RPGA 4th edition campaign on sundays also. I only mention it because if someone starts to say that they have eaten alot of modules too, we can all start fresh and no need to bring up past DM'ing.
WHAT DO YOU SAY?

Thanos
I have no life
I have no life

Postby Thanos » Wed May 06, 2009 11:26 pm

MorganWolf wrote:Gentlemen, The price should never be an issue, I remember the days of Forgotten Realms- Living City the mods were priced at $2 to $4 apiece and would you believe it in that time I ordered enough modules to play for the month that came out to $40 to $80 bucks a month for me. Yes I played that enough then, still can't believe it. The problem will definitely be who will be DM'ing first as we all know lets not kid ourselves it does matter to most players. When we deceide how it will work then we can continue- for the record I have eaten a tremendous amount of 4th edition mods as I had a steady RPGA 4th edition campaign on sundays also. I only mention it because if someone starts to say that they have eaten alot of modules too, we can all start fresh and no need to bring up past DM'ing.
WHAT DO YOU SAY?

We can take turns or whatever. DMing should be the least of our worries, hard part is getting the game going and building support. Who knows they may have credit for eating mods?

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 am

There is no credit for eating modules in their system.

I already looked at their setup.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu May 07, 2009 8:44 am

Look they have a really simple set up and right now they have TWENTY modules. Under their system every module gives you 1xp. Every 3xp you gain a level. So may I suggest the following:

EVERYONE MUST JUDGE.

It is the only fair solution and it will get other people in the chair to run these modules.

If every person is REQUIRED to eat a module then the whole "experience loss" will be negated because we will all be on par with everyone else in the gaming circle (no more Level 17 LA characters hanging out with the 15s and some 12s at a table while the 6-9s can't even play a game with us).

The Rotation would look something like this:

PFS #1: Philip
PFS #2: Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,
PFS #3: Rene
PFS #4: Matt
PFS #5: Ramon
PFS #6: Richard
PFS #7: Monica
PFS #8: Peter
PFS #9: Ed
PFS #10: Peter
PFS #11: <Insert>
PFS #12: <Insert>
PFS #13: <Insert>
PFS #14: Philip
PFS #15: Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,
PFS #16: Rene
PFS #17: Matt
PFS #18: Ramon
PFS #19: Richard
PFS #20: Monica

We would need at least 13 people in the initial starting group to ensure that we have a large enough base to offset the experience loss and so that there are no unnecessary repeats. If you gotta judge then you have to judge and no questions about it. The only way to get out from the penalty of judging is to play the modules at another convention. An example of how that would work would go like this:

Let's say I went to FFF and played three Pathfinder scenarios (36/37/38) and the current rotation looked like this:

PFS #33:Philip
PFS #34: Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,
PFS #35: Rene
PFS #36: Matt
PFS #37: Ramon
PFS #38: Richard
PFS #39: Monica

It would then modify to incorporate this new change:

PFS #33:Philip
PFS #34: Ralph, The Godfather of DnD in Miami,
PFS #35: Rene
PFS #36: Philip
PFS #37: Philip
PFS #38: Philip
PFS #39: Matt
PFS #40:Ramon
PFS #41: Richard
PFS #42: Monica

It's really simple, but it does involve COORDINATION and openness about what you have played. It also means that there can be no infighting amongst players since our pool is small. We can't have the LA/LG splits of parties as we had before, we need to be homogeneous.

I'd be down for this and making sure it got implemented.
- Philip Slama

thetrickygnome

Postby thetrickygnome » Thu May 07, 2009 9:02 am

Nice idea about the DM rotation. In theory it's both feasible and fair.

But now I cast the gloomy cloud of rain, thunder, and lightning on the sunny day.

The local gaming scene at least amongst our group is as fragmented as it's ever been and the level
of talk relative to action is something I'm uncomfortable with. Our group has shrunk at an alarming
rate for a variety of reasons, many of which have no bearing on the game and in no way cast a
negative light on it. It's a little thing called real life people. I was one of the loudest and most ardent
voices supporting a fair DM rotation and more often than not people didn't pay attention to my calls
for fairness and it got to a point where I simply gave up trying. We had agree at one time to rotate
DMs and that plan was nothing more than a smoke and mirrors disaster. It was never adhered to. So
for me personally I really don't have the time or the energy to screw around with any little punk ass
arguments relative to the DM fairness issue because that's a bridge that has been burned at my feet
one too many times.

The anemic flow of D&D related gaming talk on this site alone should have sounded alarm bells a long
time ago about the state of gaming amongst our fold. So while I applaud the whole DM rotation thing
I also have serious doubts that it will function. As I said before, we now lack the two things that we
had before in abundance; the number of players to make it happen and the true conviction to see it
through. I don't have the time or the desire to screw around so if this is going to happen and people
are really gonna walk the walk instead of just talk the talk then fine I'll help. But if this is just going
to be another half-ass attempt at something with a high on rhetoric and low on true effort equation
then leave me out.

lostpike
I really like Roleplaying

Postby lostpike » Thu May 07, 2009 9:04 am

FYI: Starting season 1 you get some credit for eating a mod. I think its full xp, prestige but no story rewards. Also season 1 converts to the 3.75 rules. Some are good some are bad.
"At the end of the day, Brandobaris smiles largest at the halfling with
the wildest tales."

lostpike

Postby lostpike » Thu May 07, 2009 9:05 am

Oh and im already involved! 3rd level Half Orc Druid!
"At the end of the day, Brandobaris smiles largest at the halfling with

the wildest tales."

David

The Heretic

Postby The Heretic » Thu May 07, 2009 9:08 am

In. When where
A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes-----Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

"The measure of the homeland’s independence can be gauged by the amount of independence enjoyed by her children, and, as we have already said, there can be no free homeland while her children are slaves."-----Enrique Roig de San Martin

thetrickygnome

Postby thetrickygnome » Thu May 07, 2009 9:15 am

Oh and im already involved! 3rd level Half Orc Druid!

David you're such a silly bastard!!! ;)
Good job man and let us know what you like and don't like about the system since
you have apparently put some time and effort into it.

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Thu May 07, 2009 9:36 am

I'm in...

But if I don't like the story Im out.. I will give people a heads up before that happens.

life is too short to waste time playing a game you don't love
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Misc Games & Campaigns”