Can't take 20 on search checks or can you

All the other campaigns crammed into one.
Needles
Slave to this message board

Can't take 20 on search checks or can you

Postby Needles » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:28 pm

This is the letter I wrote to wizards on search checks and taking 20:

Hello,

My question is, can you take 20 on a search check and not set off a trap, or any other thing in the square you search in.

On the other hand, can you take 20 on a search check at all? What are the consequences? Do you find everything in a square if you exceed all the DC's, secret doors, traps, secret compartments, and the like? Like I said before, does the person taking 20 automatically set off traps when this is done?

This is the answer they gave me:

Edward,

Thank you for writing. The key thing to remember when taking twenties is that you can only do so when there is no repercussions for failure. If there is the possibility of a trap in the vicinity you should not be allowed to take a 20. Taking a 20 assumes that you can fail an infinite number of times and eventually you will roll a 20. If failure has dire consequences, just roll as normal on the search check.

Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Good Gaming!

It seems they just gave me the generic version of taking 20. I need ammunition, my DM for this Thursday says you can not take 20 on a roll. We have been playing otherwise in the rpga. What fuel can you give me for the fire for this Thursday night to change his mind. I'll be showing him the letter.
There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:57 pm

Sorry Ed, the only way you're going to be able to bust your GM's balls is if you are a 10th Level Rogue with Skill Mastery which allows you to take 10 without reprecussions.

The problem here is that if the GM doesn't let you take 20 you know there is a trap in the general vicinity.

The thing I would push on the GM is are you really under pressure if you don't "know" that there is a trap and you want to be thorough? I can see not taking 20 when under attack or "on the clock" but if you've got enough time to do it and no one is shooting at you why not?
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: Can't take 20 on search checks or can you

Postby Ozymandius » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Thank you for writing. The key thing to remember when taking twenties is that you can only do so when there is no repercussions for failure. If there is the possibility of a trap in the vicinity you should not be allowed to take a 20. Taking a 20 assumes that you can fail an infinite number of times and eventually you will roll a 20. If failure has dire consequences, just roll as normal on the search check.

Awesome, Ed! Wizard's just handed you your defense! A Search check does not carry dire consequences. It merely tells you if there is a trap or not. Knowing that the trap is there is not a "consequence" but merely a state of being. The one roll that you could not take 20 on is a Disable Device check. Knowing that the trap is there is one thing, disabiling it is another.

No where under "Search" under the skill entry does it say you can not take 20. In fact no where in the entry does it say the word "failure" at all.

Besides Wizard's is full of sh*t. No where under "Search" does it have the following:

"Try Again: No."

The other entries say if you are unable to try again because there are "dire consequences" tied to failure. Here under "Search" you can try as many times as you want.
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Needles

Postby Needles » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:44 pm

Thank you PJ, anyone got any other ideas.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Needles

Postby Needles » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:36 pm

I asked this question on the Wizard's Help section:

My question is, why can't I take 20 on a search check if a one is not a failure to set off a trap?

This is the answer to the question above:

Edward,

Because if you were allowed to take a 20 on every five foot section of the room but one you would know where the trap was.

Please let me know if you need anymore help!

I believe we have been playing it wrong. This is the second question I asked to a different person and got the same answer. You are not allowed to take 20 on a search check looking for a trap. Ask Wizards yourself. Try and find out differently.

Return to “Misc Games & Campaigns”