book! :D

If anyone else has pinched a copy of this book,
please, let us know what choo think.

neocelsus
Regular
Regular

OHHH YEAH

Postby neocelsus » Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:54 am

When WW said "Where going to make Victorian Vampire" I said to myself ... ... "No ... .... you can't." (I was thinking about gothic earth, it's my favotitist game in the whole wide world. Everyone who knows me knows about my hard-on for Ravenloft and it's lovely cousin Gothic Earth.) I thought about it and well ... ... I just didn't want to think about it.

So yesterday I'm in a bookstore and I come across a copy of the book. I pick it up and I'm unimpressed by it's cover. I take it with me to a chair and crack it open. After reading it for and hour I put it down, smile, and decide that I must play ... .... Nah RUN Victorian Vampire.

The intro fiction is delicious. It’s like Anne Rice meets …. … umm, it’s like Anne Rice is writing a vamp novel in Victorian England. I skipped through most of the meat and potatoes (Vampire clan roles, and geographical info) and jumped to the part that I love to read about, how to run Victorian horror.

Have run Ravenloft and dreaming of running Gothic Earth I’ve learned allot about gothic horror. Things like isolation, using hints of the supernatural, making the protagonists feel helpless and other things. This book touched other subjects. I specifically like how it explained the role sex played in gothic novels and Victorian culture, and how to respect a vampires power, but at the same time make him as weak as any gothic hero.

Over all it’s a good book I think. I’ll explain more if you want later on.
Spankings and secrets, that’s what I’m all about.

Forever separating the subtle from the gross,
Neocelsus

MrFilthyIke

Postby MrFilthyIke » Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:29 pm

It's the first damn decent book WW has put out in their Vampire line in a looooong time...And we should organize a game of Gothic Horror! :|]

And on a side note, non-Vampire, the new Dark Ages Mage is well done too! :D

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Highmoon » Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:15 am

Just went out and picked up Victorian Age Vampire today, and I am loving it. I had been waiting for it with exhilaration since it was announced last year, and I am happy that I wasn't let down.

It's been a while since I've run Vampire; I ran a chronicle from 97-2000 set in Miami (with a slight detour to Twin Peaks), but since that game got uncontrollable (disruptive player issues), I have had a hard time getting back into it, with only minor success at a short Changeling chronicle (I love that game) and a foray into the Dark Ages that keeps being postponed.

I bought Victorian Age today and I intend to read through it before mid Nov, when VA: V London by Night comes out, so I can start running a new chronicle with my fiancee (by then wife) and some friends.

Too em long enough at WW to put out what should have been the first historical WoD game, but it is here now, and it is good. Let us all put on our coats and attitude and parade onto the gaslit, foggy streets of the Victorian world.

MrFilthyIke

Postby MrFilthyIke » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:02 am

How ODD that two of my favorite games has a "Gaslight" setting:

Vampire

and

Call of Cthulhu

Coincidence? I think not! IA! IA!

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Highmoon » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:13 am

Heck, in my book, they're really one and the same!

I did that too in my modern Vampire game. The coterie was tracking down some signs of the Final Nights in Miami, following the ravings of the young Malkavian, and they ended up meeting another Malkavian trapped in an Asylum somewhere out in the Everglades, a man by the name of Nyarla... Nyarla T. Hotep.
Hey, it has 1,000 faces. Who's to say one of them isn't a vampire?

Can't wait to inflict this pain upon my Victorian vampires... :|]

MrFilthyIke

Postby MrFilthyIke » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:36 am

Myarla T. Hotep?

BOO!!! :D

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Highmoon » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:20 pm

Oh you should've seen them when they put 2 and 2 together game weeks later. Hilarious.
Not quite as amusing as when they dropped by Twin Peaks, especially when they ran into a confrontation with BOB in the Black Lodge. If you've seen the show you know exactly what that means...

To bring it back to the topic, I am so loving this book. It has been ages since a game book has pulled me in so amazingly well and in just a few pages. I can't wait to finish and start playing!

MrFilthyIke

Postby MrFilthyIke » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:29 pm

Cool,

If you have spaces, Fiona and I love the Victorian stuff,
and would be interested in hooking up to game.

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Highmoon » Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:39 pm

I'll let you know. My games are normally closed affairs; I play with my fiancee and she's kinda shy and prefers to play only with friends, but we'll see. I will certainly keep you posted.

Perhaps we could also look into running a game on a Message Board? A variation of play-by-email? It's be more freeform conversation than anything, but that suits me just fine; I go months without picking dice up for anything other than to play around while we talk.

Just ideas...

MrFilthyIke

Postby MrFilthyIke » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:01 am

I can understand the closed affair thing, but tell her won't bite...

get it? *drum roll*

Seriously, if you're willing let us know.

As for message boards...eh, I need dicing and table top

My socializing is nill these days

chainsaw_derelct
I have no life
I have no life

OT : PBEM stuff...

Postby chainsaw_derelct » Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:00 am

Highmoon wrote:Perhaps we could also look into running a game on a Message Board? A variation of play-by-email? It's be more freeform conversation than anything, but that suits me just fine; I go months without picking dice up for anything other than to play around while we talk.

Just ideas...

As for PBEM, it just sparked a reminder to myself. Any of you interested in a Cthulhu PBEM game? Name of the material is DeProfundis, and our group has sort of ground to a halt after attempting as a Play By Mail rather than a Play By E-Mail... Just changed format recently and also looking for some fresh blood. Any interested takers, please either PM or E-mail me.

Some information can be found on our Yahoo! Group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/postal_madness
New bit of aether & fluff @
The Maiden's Head

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Highmoon » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:20 pm

MrFilthyIke wrote:I can understand the closed affair thing, but tell her won't bite...
get it? *drum roll*

You see, you just think you're making a funny pun, but a couple of years back, my fiancee was giving some co-workers a ride home. In the car were my fiancee and me in the front, our buddy Chris, my fiancee's sister Yvonne, and Ed (the long-haired guy who works at WotC now).
Ed started with some crap about how he's a vampire, talking to Yvonne, and all of a sudden he leans over and bites her neck. No kidding.
Needless to say he has been considered a freak ever since.

So you see, it's not just a funny pun. It holds meaning for us. :wink:

MrFilthyIke

Postby MrFilthyIke » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:22 am

Hmmm, understandable...however, Fiona and I only play Vampires on TV! :D

While being involved in LARPing and WW table top can often times pair up those with distinctly deviant interests and those of a straight and narrow bent, a game where everyone goes into it knowing "it's just a game" and no-one here is the Undead-Lord-of-Eternal-Damnation-and-Darkness, then everyone knows what the rules of decency and decourum are ahead of time.

In others words, you can keep it just a table top/LARP game of role-playing personas, or take it that extra step further and act certain things out. As long as whatever is occuring is agreed upon by the whole group, then everything is ok!

Is was just suggesting and simple table top game for fun and entertainment, myself. If Yvonne prefers people she knows, then the four of us should hang out some time!

It'd make sense that married pairs socialize, as we're in a predominately single or dating male social group when it comes to gamers. :D

Lord o' Small Crawlings
Regular
Regular

in defense of ed

Postby Lord o' Small Crawlings » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:27 pm

in defense of ed; i have to say a few things about that;

Ed is only a vampire only if vampires can subsist on moonpies and cherry coke instead of blood.

Ed is gamer, therefor thought he was being smooth(alla beavis) by his actions.

Ed is known to state that he was anything between an fire ant to a walking salt lake to try to impress a chick.

*no eds were harmed in this PSA*
banned, erased, and blocked....it feels good to try and speak yer mind in public!

Return to “Live Action Roleplaying”