New LARP forming @ University of Miami

Forum to discuss Larping

Moderator: neocelsus

Griffman
Slave to this message board

Postby Griffman » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:12 pm

I don't regret it. It's good looking out Pj. But your sister has to understand that this is a LARP. Which means she will have to roleplay and she can't get pissed when someone says something she doesn't like, because as I said before it's a LARP.
-Matthew Tearle

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

Jarad Fennell

The Sister :)

Postby Jarad Fennell » Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:10 pm

MrFilthyIke wrote:Jarad, with some practise Jennifer would be an ok addition, all of PJ's ragging aside. :)

She is completely welcome.
And hopefully, no practice will be necessary for the playing of this scenario ;). As long as I make the motivation of each charater clear enough, the role-playing should take care of itself. So let her know that the onus is on me, her job is just to come and have as much fun as possible. And uh, this scenario might be kinda intense, so you might want to warn her before, let her know it's just a game and we're not crazy people.
Okay, so far I've got-
Shane, Matt, PJ, and Jessica, and I think I can get four, maybe five other players to participate. So we should have the minimum required to play (In fact, I think that the players I have in mind should match the two groups of characters in the module perfectly).
Keep in mind that I'm not discouraging new players from signing up... Especially women (Get your mind out of the gutter!). If we have too many people, I could definitely find a use for a couple co-Narrators. And I might be able to add a character or two if necessary.
So next- time. We've already heard from Shane... I believe he said he gets out of work after 7pm (I'm having trouble scrolling up to check). So we can plan for say...8, start playing around 8:30 or so? I'm thinking the game should take 4 or 5 hours at most (Possibly much, much shorter, depending on how the players react to the situation).
Would the weekend be best? Friday, or Saturday?
I'm going to GenCon at the end of July (And so are a number of the players), so I'm thinking we could schedule this for the second or third week in July (Which will give me some time to get some props and whatnot).

Jarad
"Even a good man, if he remains in the same place for too long, will accumulate sin."

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill the Buddha."

Griffman

Postby Griffman » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:08 pm

The time sounds fine, but when you head down here if you can give us the exact date and address. If need be e-mail me at armored_griffin@yahoo.com with the info or just message me on aim. Thanks Jarad I look forward to seeing you when you get down here.
-Matthew Tearle

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:56 am

Yeah I can get Jennifer to do it during the summer. No problem there. She'll love to get back into it and it will allow her to finally act her character (she liked the idea).
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

chainsaw_derelct
I have no life
I have no life

Postby chainsaw_derelct » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:08 pm

I'm willing to give it a go. Just let me know the dates, so long as I'm in town, I'd love to play Unknown Armies.

See you soon, and hopefully back in town sooner. (o:
New bit of aether & fluff @
The Maiden's Head

Jarad Fennell

UA Larp

Postby Jarad Fennell » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:37 pm

chainsaw_derelct wrote:I'm willing to give it a go. Just let me know the dates, so long as I'm in town, I'd love to play Unknown Armies.

See you soon, and hopefully back in town sooner. (o:

Cool! I was hoping you would sign on, Rainier. I've got Oscar too, and I'm hoping I can hook Sergio, Scott Charlton and (maybe) Will. That would give us our nine (Though I really wish we could get another girl. Too much testosterone and all that. Ah well. We'll make do).
The tentative date for the game is July 11th (Friday). We'll start getting together around 8pm, begin play at 9pm. We should wrap up around 1 am, at the latest (I don't want to keep everyone out all night).
Let me know if this time and date will be a problem for anyone. I'm flexible.
In a week or two, I'll put up a brief description of the characters involved, to give everyone an idea of what their options will be.

Jarad
"Even a good man, if he remains in the same place for too long, will accumulate sin."

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:50 pm

Cool, I'll start brushing up on my Vampire history...
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Jarad Fennell

Oook Panook

Postby Jarad Fennell » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:50 pm

Ozymandius wrote:Cool, I'll start brushing up on my Vampire history...

Oz-

Oops... Did I mention this before? The game isn't Vampire.
The name of the RPG is called "Unknown Armies". It's a system published by Atlas Games, described by them (from the 2nd edition rulebook) as "a roleplaying game of power and consequences." In character, it's a little like a cross between the World of Darkness games and Call of Cthulhu, but the content is wholly original (And very, very funky).
The 2nd edition of the game sets it up so that players can enjoy the game at three different levels- "street", "global" and "cosmic". All of these relate to how much your characters know about What Is Really Going On. The scenario I want to run as a LARP, "Jailbreak", is run at the street level, meaning that the characters generally won't know dink (With a few exceptions). To make things interesting, I was going to keep the majority of the players in the dark as well.
The die mechanics involve a skill-based percentage system and 4 stats (Body, Speed, Mind and Soul). Every skill falls under one of the 4 stats, which defines the limit of the skill (A character with a Body of 60 can only have Body skills of 60% or less). There is no solid list of Skills- each set is tailored to the character, so you've got skills as varied as Convince Mom You're Sick (Soul), to Hold Your Liquor (Body), to Put A Cap In Your Ass (Speed). There are added complications and caveats, but those are the basics.
I'll let slip with a few of the details for "Jailbreak"... Half of the players are a group of escaped prisoners (Hence the scenario's title), while the other half are their hostages. Here's a brief blurb on the characters, though I warn ya, there's more to them than what you see hear- secrets I have to preserve for the scenario, so no one sees the character sheets until they pick the character.
Dramatis Personae
*Steve Updike, a wife-beater and the leader of the escape prisoners.
*Jake Spundie, a corrections officer captured by the cons.
*Uder Krazmersky, the aged owner of the farmhouse where the cons hide out.
*Morton Willis, a quiet convict with a firm set of moral standards.
*Ella Krazmersky, Uder's lovely wife.
*Juan Riccinto, who was falsely convicted and is looking out for himself.
*Janet Mattice, a lawyer and one of the hostages.
*David "Icepick" Leyner, a con-man and small-fry hood.
*Donna Ngwashi, Janet Mattice's client.

Anyway, take a look, think about it... Drop me an email if anything jumps out at you. The most important thing for me, to keep things interesting, is that there be an equal number of cons and hostages. If there are too many of one group, it'll kill the tension. So I reserve veto power on character choice, mostly for this reason.
I'm almost down there... See you guys soon.

Jarad

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:43 pm

Bad ass. I want to be the leader dude...

Or the convict that is crazy.
- Philip Slama

Griffman

Postby Griffman » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:35 pm

Which one would be the crazy convict persay?

I have been talking to Jarad and it looks like I will be playing Morton Willis.

Also to let everyone know the module takes place in Surrey, Canada.

Surrey is just north of California, and is the fastest growing town in all of Canada.
-Matthew Tearle

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:02 pm

You don't have any morals and you certainly aren't quiet.
- Philip Slama

Griffman

Postby Griffman » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:06 pm

Which is why it's called roleplaying jackass. 8) Isn't that right Mr. Anderson?
-Matthew Tearle

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:08 pm

Watch yourself Mr. Smith. 8)

I just can't see you with morals. It's like you trying to be a man. It just doesn't work.
- Philip Slama

Griffman

Postby Griffman » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:10 pm

Hey if you want to talk about men, don't let me get on about how your sister is the man of the house! She has you wipped like a little biatch.
-Matthew Tearle

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:12 pm

If she's so bad ass how come she's the one always crying like a little girl? Oh thanks matt. This makes it post 901!
- Philip Slama

Return to “Live Action Roleplaying”