Starting a LARP

Forum to discuss Larping

Moderator: neocelsus

Griffman
Slave to this message board
Slave to this message board

Postby Griffman » Sun May 18, 2003 10:16 am

Heh, thanks for saying so. I enjoyed playing that character.
What?! Your group got TPK'ed a 2nd time? What happened?

Its a long story but to make it short, we didn't listen in the beggining becaue we had just got back from the market place, and after that it was all down hill. We also could have lived but our DM pretty much assumed we where dead and didn't really give us a chance to do anything. I mean when the DM tells you that if you run back into the battle you will die even though I had a potion of Invisability and Sneaking and a Neckless of Fireball, I mean come on.... The rest of the party was still alive(But grappled) and If I had fireballed the 10 hp creatures grappling them I'm pretty sure we would have had a whole party ready to fight vs about 5 or 6 lvl3-5 wizards who still counldn't see them because of obscuring mist. There was alot of things we could have done but didn't and I'm not that upset about dieing I mean now atleast I get to build a character with some pazazz.
-Matthew Tearle

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Sun May 18, 2003 1:19 pm

Yeah, and we'll take down Coryan, Canceri, Altheria, The Hinterlands, the Blessed Lands, the Dwarves, the Westernlands, the Ss'ressen Empire, and the Elves from the inside and rebuild the first Impirum where all are ruled by MAN!
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

Email: Finn_Durandall@Hotmail.com

Elven Researcher
Regular
Regular

Postby Elven Researcher » Sun May 18, 2003 1:39 pm

It just looks like your a little out numbered...but if matts allied with you, then you have a great chance of actually achieving your goal.
Are people truly happy with "them"?

I want to find "the someone just for me."

Chi says she wants a pickle. get no b4 moon blows up on ur desk and no more pickles into cheese

Jarad Fennell

Apologia Vampirica

Postby Jarad Fennell » Sun May 18, 2003 1:55 pm

MrFilthyIke wrote:*hiss*

You said vampire and UoM in the same sentance ;)

so, when're you coming back to Miami to visit?

Okay, first off, the games at U of M had a long tradition, stretching back to 95 or 96. They're probably still running something there now. I was there part of the time, and for a (very) brief period, was involved in storytelling. In my humble opinion, there were a number of very good story arcs executed amidst the truly horrendous crap.
Still, I'm truly amazed what a terrible reputation the game has with people who never even came within spitting distance. I have to conclude that the cause of the group's image problem was the same source all its problems flowed from- disgruntled LARPers who prefer bitching to working at a problem and/or finding a compromise.
That said- the last game I attended at U of M was truly freaking awful. You know something is skewed about a group dynamic when you come in and volunteer your services as an NPC, then are killed 2 seconds later by another group of NPCs that the Storyteller has lost control of. Oh yeah, and when you ask the Narrator for rules arbitration during a combat, the other NPCs are allowed to shout you down.
It would actually be interesting to hear from people who actually played LARPs in Miami what positive experiences they had and what good players they ran into. You hear so much negative stuff all the time, I wonder if there's anything positive to say.
Actually, I'm going to make that a new topic...

Oh yeah... I should be coming down around June 25 or so....
"Even a good man, if he remains in the same place for too long, will accumulate sin."

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill the Buddha."

dellacroy

LARPing

Postby dellacroy » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:12 pm

Funny you should mention LARPing in Miami.
I've never been able to find one.
I did speak to the U of M people once back in August, but then lost contact with them.
I had offered to play or (more to my liking) Storytell, but they had little interest in the later.
Then they disappeared.
Ever since I have been unable to locate a running LARP in Maimi.
I find it sad that I can find a 40 person game in Tallahassee, but nothing in Miami.

That's why I'm willing to start one.

MrFilthyIke

Postby MrFilthyIke » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:19 pm

Florida's a hot LARP place...no, really....HOT....

As in too hot. :)

There is interest, just everyone runs larps 11pm or later
Well, *I* work 7am-6pm, so i'd rather game earlier

But, i'm only one person

dellacroy

Postby dellacroy » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:22 pm

Shane--

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.
I had a minor emergency that took me out of the state.

Anywho, you asked me for my opinion on Sabbat and Independents in a Camarilla LARP.

I've found that it works VERY well to limit the number of Sabbat and Independents to the following ratio:
At the most 1 Caitiff, Independent, OR Sabbat Kindred to every 10
Camarilla Kindred

So, do you think I'd find players if I ran one?

--Chris

MrFilthyIke

Postby MrFilthyIke » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:30 pm

possibly, but you'd need to motivate them,
most are mainly D&D players, and are used
to "I attack it, Huzzah!!" :)

I ran a larp in Orlando for like 1 year, and played
for 4 years, myself

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:33 pm

Naw, naw, we're more like. You run over there and grab your weapon and we'll see what happens to you...
- Philip Slama

"Sex is like the death penalty. One outcome, multiple ways to carry it out," -Stephen Colbert.

"OMG I can't believe I just got censored on LC.net!!!111 IS ADOLFO SEEING THIS sh*t!!!" -TheWorldsGreatestWarrior.

dellacroy

Postby dellacroy » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:50 pm

Well, I supose motivation is always necessary.
But in a game where everyone plays a preditor, combat is often more common then not.

Ozymandius
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Ozymandius » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:49 pm

Good, then I won't feel that bad when my Ventrue abstains because he doesn't want any blood on his new suit.
- Philip Slama

Return to “Live Action Roleplaying”