Classes in the PHB2?

Get up to date roleplaying news. Or post roleplaying news.

Moderator: grey

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Classes in the PHB2?

Postby Warduke » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:44 pm

Mike Mearls did an interview in which he said the first letter of the eight classes in the PHB2, and said that only three of those classes were old class. And here's an update he made to that comment.

At the Seattle game day event, I did an interview with Gamer Radio Zero and was asked about the classes in the PH 2. It was a long, hectic day, and I had very little sleep, so I managed to get some of the initials wrong. Anyway, here are the correct ones:

B
B
D
I
S
S
T
W

There is no R class. I have no idea how my brain inserted that letter into the sequence.

So anyone want to take a guess what these classes are? My guesses are as follow:

B = Barbarian (Primal Defender)
B = Bard (Arcane Leader)
D = Druid (Primal ?)
I = Illusionist (Shadow ?)
S = Shaman (Primal Leader)
S = Sorcerer (? Controller)
T = Telepath (Psionic Controller)
W = ???

Needles
Slave to this message board

Re: Classes in the PHB2?

Postby Needles » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:29 pm

I think he mentioned that three of them are old classes, the rest are brand new classes. That is if my memory serves me right. I don't think they made a druid class yet, druids are not popular with me. The class never appealed to me, as a judge, I hate it when the players bring armies.
There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Druids came up in Races & Classes, and they've been talking about the Druid, so I think they are working on it. It's not gonna be about summoning, though. The class will be focused more on shapechanging, with some spellcasting in addition. Might be a Primal Striker or a hybrid role (Striker/Leader or Controller). So you won't have to worry about seeing a Druid bringing an army with him.

As for the W, that might be a Wilder. Psionic Striker, maybe? Two Psionic classes in the PHB 2 would certainly be nice. Hmm. Assuming my guess are correct, these'll be the classes available by the time the PHB2 comes out.

DEFENDERS
ARCANE: Swordmage
DIVINE: Paladin
MARTIAL: Fighter
PRIMAL: Barbarian

LEADERS
ARCANE: Bard
DIVINE: Cleric
MARTIAL: Warlord
PRIMAL: Shaman

STRIKERS
ARCANE: Warlock
MARTIAL: Ranger, Rogue
PRIMAL: Druid (?)
PSIONIC: Wilder (?)

CONTROLLERS
ARCANE: Wizard
PRIMAL: Sorcerer (May be Arcane)
PSIONIC: Telepath (Guessing)
SHADOW: Illusionist (Another guess)

Needles

Postby Needles » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:07 pm

Those guesses are better than mine. It looks like I can't wait till the phb2 comes out. :D
There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:21 pm

My guesses are off, though. Mearls said only three old class, and I listed four (Barbarian, Bard, Druid, and Sorcerer). Hopefully they'll all appear by the time the PHB2 is out. Either in DDI, or renamed (if Barbarian is renamed as a Berserker, does it qualify as a new class? ;) ).

thetrickygnome

Postby thetrickygnome » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:48 pm

I would like to see the barbarian and the bard classes come back for sure and perhaps even
the sorcerer. I did not see an "M" on that list so unless they changed the name I guess the
monk is out of gas ( unless they went totally zen with him and made him heavily psionic ).
Also, as for the druid, they are a cool class but Ed makes a good point. It's a bit of a pain for
the DM to have to put up with the animal companion sometimes although a learned DM can
do so. Still, the old spell combos with animal companions can make them insanely powerful &
at times unbalancing.

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:20 am

Remember that just because it won't show up in the PHB2 doesn't mean it won't appear later on. They've got a Ki Power Source, after all, and they've already been talking about the Monk as a Striker. So it'll probably appear in the PHB3.

As for the Druid, this is from Races & Classes. Should give an idea of where they're going with it.

grey
King of the hill
King of the hill

Postby grey » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:20 am

Sounds like the wow driud.

Now if we could only get moonfire.
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts, Study hard be evil.
Nobody's perfect... well, there was this one guy, but we killed him.

Living City Forums
webmaster@livingcity.net aka Albert

Peewee
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Peewee » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:02 pm

Ya I have a feeling the new Druid will be a lot like the a world of warcraft "feral" druid....

Pb
Peter B
PCI Rules Developer & StatMonkey
Paradigm Concepts

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.”
- Thomas Jefferson

grey
King of the hill
King of the hill

Postby grey » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:14 pm

they could make it into a boomkin.

that would be awesome.
moonfire spam every round with stacking dot.... very powerful.
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts, Study hard be evil.
Nobody's perfect... well, there was this one guy, but we killed him.

Living City Forums
webmaster@livingcity.net aka Albert

lostpike
I really like Roleplaying

Postby lostpike » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:38 pm

Player's Handbook II
The Player's Handbook II will include Arcane and Divine information. Primal and Psionic are the new power sources highest on the list to be included, but they're not sure how much will fit (source). Primal has since been pretty much confirmed (source).

Scott Rouse says "The license is done but late yesterday we added a bunch of new stuff to the SRD to cover some books coming out next year (like PH2 classes, power sources, and weapons)." (source) When someone complains, he asks "So do you want Psionics now or 12 months from now?" (source)

The PHB2 will include the Sorcerer (source), the Barbarian and Druid (Races & Classes), as well as classes "not unlike the Druid, Barbarian, and Bard" (source).

Mike Mearls discusses the PHB2 on Gamer Radio Zero here. Some highlights: "If there's stuff in the Player's Handbook that you're like, 'hey, where's this class', it's probably going to be in the Player's Handbook 2." Also new classes - a cleric that's a bit more on the spellcaster-y side, a striker that's a "deadly and dangerous" kind of guy. The druid (I think the 3.5 druid, but I'm not sure) is the main example of a primal character, and other primal classes do things that will remind you of the druid, but in their own unique way. He lists the first letters of each class in the PHB2 - D, B, B, W, I, T, S, S (after this correction). He also says "I think only three of those are classes that anyone has ever seen before. I think the other ones are all new classes, completely new to Dungeons & Dragons." However, when asked on his blog how many classes are new he says "Three are completely and utterly new. The rest are either classes or old concepts revisited." (source)

Specific Classes

Bard
The Bard will be an Arcane Leader (source).

Druid
Significant Druid info here.

Elementalist
Elementalists are mentioned in the Dwarf entry in Races & Classes alongside clerics, paladins, fighters, barbarians, rangers, and wizards, so they are likely a planned class.

Monk
The Monk is not a Martial Striker, and as of D&D XP they had not seriously started designing the class (source).

Shaman
The Shaman is mentioned as a class that fills the Leader role (source). Rich Baker mentions it "includes some neat mechanisms for dealing with nature spirits". (source)

Sorcerer
It appears the Sorcerer will be an Arcane Controller. Rich Baker mentions thinking hard about "how it could occupy the same role and power source as the wizard but be a different class" (source), and Christopher Perkins mentions Sorcerer as a possibility for members of the Arcane Caste, along with Wizard and Warlock (source).

Significant info on the Sorcerer here.
"At the end of the day, Brandobaris smiles largest at the halfling with
the wildest tales."

lostpike

Postby lostpike » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:38 pm

"At the end of the day, Brandobaris smiles largest at the halfling with

the wildest tales."

David

Return to “Roleplaying News”