4E Gnome

Get up to date roleplaying news. Or post roleplaying news.

Moderator: grey

Needles
Slave to this message board

Re: 4E Gnome

Postby Needles » Wed May 28, 2008 11:46 am

Versatile weapons? HMMM ???
There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Wed May 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Nothing special. They're just weapons which can be used two-handed, and when used two-handed they add +1 to damage. The Longsword is a Versatile Weapon, for instance. Use it one-handed it does 1d8. Use it two-handed it does 1d8+1.

Needles

Postby Needles » Thu May 29, 2008 7:40 am

Are versatile weapons the old martial weapons, two handed and one handed?

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Thu May 29, 2008 10:12 am

Versatile's a weapon property that's applicable to any weapon that can be used two-handed (and which counts as a two-handed weapon for Small creatures), not just Martial (Incidentally, weapons are categorized now as Simple Melee Weapons, Military Melee Weapons, Superior Melee Weapons, Simple Ranged Weapons, Military Ranged Weapons, and Superior Ranged Weapons).

Needles

Postby Needles » Thu May 29, 2008 10:59 am

I wonder which weapons are in which categories, or has that come out yet?

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Thu May 29, 2008 11:25 am

You ask, and I aim to oblige. :)

SIMPLE MELEE WEAPONS

One-Handed
Club
Dagger
Javelin
Mace
Sickle
Spear

Two-Handed
Greatclub
Morningstar
Quarterstaff
Scythe

MILITARY MELEE WEAPONS

One-Handed
Battleaxe
Flail
Handaxe
Longsword
Scimitar
Short Sword
Throwing Hammer
Warhammer
War Pick

Two-Handed
Falchion
Glaive
Greataxe
Greatsword
Halberd
Heavy Flail
Longspear
Maul

SUPERIOR MELEE WEAPONS

One-Handed
Bastard Sword
Katar
Rapier

Two-Handed
Spiked Chain

IMPROVISED MELEE WEAPONS

One-Handed
Any
Unarmed Attack

Two-Handed
Any

SIMPLE RANGED WEAPONS

One-Handed
Hand Crossbow
Sling

Two-Handed
Crossbow

MILITARY RANGED WEAPONS

Two-Handed
Longbow
Shortbow

SUPERIOR RANGED WEAPONS

One-Handed
Shuriken

IMPROVISED RANGED WEAPONS

One-Handed
Any

And here're class proficiencies.

CLERIC: Simple Melee, Simple Ranged
FIGHTER: Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged, Military Ranged
PALADIN: Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged
RANGER: Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged, Military Ranged
ROGUE: Dagger, Hand Crossbow, Shuriken, Sling, Short Sword
WARLOCK: Simple Melee, Simple Ranged
WARLORD: Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged
WIZARD: Dagger, Quarterstaff

Needles

Postby Needles » Thu May 29, 2008 4:37 pm

SIMPLE MELEE WEAPONS

Two-Handed
Greatclub
Morningstar

Wow! They have changed things a little. I wonder what the damage is now for these two weapons. I bet they have changed most weapons. Thanks for the info; you are absolutely marvelous for getting it. :D

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Thu May 29, 2008 5:06 pm

Greatclub 2d4
Morningstar 1d10

And glad to help. :)

Incidentally, speaking of proficiences, here're the class armor proficiences.

CLERIC: Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail
FIGHTER: Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail, Scale; Light Shield, Heavy Shield
PALADIN: Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail, Scale, Plate; Light Shield, Heavy Shield
RANGER: Cloth, Leather, Hide
ROGUE: Cloth, Leather
WARLOCK: Cloth, Leather
WARLORD: Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail; Light Shield
WIZARD: Cloth

Speaking of Wizards, they start with 12 known spells at 1st-level (or 13 if they're human). They get four Cantrips (which count as At-Will Powers), two At-Will Spells (three if they're human), 1 Encounter Spell, 2 Daily Spells (Written in their spellbook, but they can only memorize one per day), and three Rituals (also written in their spellbook).

Needles

Postby Needles » Thu May 29, 2008 8:48 pm

I wonder what their armor bonuses are? Fighters don't get plate, I'm shocked. Why!

Where did use magic device go?

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Fri May 30, 2008 11:13 am

LIGHT ARMOR (You can add your Dex or Int modifier to your Armor Class)
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) -
Leather Armor +2
Hide Armor +3

HEAVY ARMOR (You get -1 Speed and don't add your Dex or Int modifier to your Armor Class)
Chainmail +6
Scale Armor +7
Plate Armor +8

SHIELDS (The shield bonus is a bonus for both AC and Reflex Defense)
Light Shield +1
Heavy Shield +2

There's also two Masterwork versions of each of the above suits of armor, which provide an even higher AC bonus, but they're never made unless they've got a minimum magic enchantment on them. Godplate Armor, for instance, is a Masterwork variant of Plate Armor. It gives a +14 bonus to AC, but it's never made without at least a +6 enhancement bonus. So Godplate's always +20 AC. That's something that you'll probably never see before 26th-level.

As for Fighters, yep, they don't start off with Plate Armor proficiency. Nice little bonus for the Paladin. :) Fighters can still get it, though, although like before, it costs a Feat. I guess they wanted a bit more variety in worn armor, though. So Paladins in Plate Armor, Fighters in Scale Armor, Warlords in Chainmail and maybe carrying a Light Shield, Clerics in Chainmail only, Rangers in Hide Armor, Rogues and Warlocks in Leather Armor, and Wizards in Cloth Armor (which isn't actually armor, although the Masterwork versions do give an AC bonus. Feyweave Armor is +1 while Starweave Armor is +2).

Incidentally, the price of armor dropped drastically. Everyone gets 100GP to start, and Plate Armor costs 50GP.

thetrickygnome

Postby thetrickygnome » Fri May 30, 2008 11:23 am

There's also two Masterwork versions of each of the above suits of armor, which provide an even higher AC bonus, but they're never made unless they've got a minimum magic enchantment on them. Godplate Armor, for instance, is a Masterwork variant of Plate Armor. It gives a +14 bonus to AC, but it's never made without at least a +6 enhancement bonus. So Godplate's always +20 AC. That's something that you'll probably never see before 26th-level.

As for Fighters, yep, they don't start off with Plate Armor proficiency. Nice little bonus for the Paladin. Fighters can still get it, though, although like before, it costs a Feat. Incidentally, the price of armor dropped drastically. Everyone gets 100GP to start, and Plate Armor costs 50GP.

Well first off Warduke... you are an AWESOME source of information for 4th edition. Thank you so
much for all the crunchy good tidbits.

Secondly, I'm glad that they did that for the fighters and paladins. Paladins seem to be desinged as a
pretty buff bad ass in 4th Editon but then again why the hell not? A paladin is not just a fighter - he is
the spiritual and religious extension of a god's sword and mercy. Lastly, the drop in armor cost is pretty
amazing but I suspect the gold economy in 4th edition is also being given a major tweaking, especially
seeing how much the starting gold is. It reminds me of the early days of Greyhawk when if you saw a +1
dagger it was something akin to a small miracle. Thanks again.

<< Now dropping back into lurking mode >>

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Fri May 30, 2008 11:26 am

No problem! Your Friendly 4E Fairy is all to happy to sprinkle 4E goodness wheresoever he goes! :D

...Wow, that sounded really fruity, didn't it? :oops:

Incidentally, you check out the Gnome stats on the prior page? What with you being 'The Tricky Gnome' I thought you might appreciate the tricksiness of the 4E Gnome.

thetrickygnome

Postby thetrickygnome » Fri May 30, 2008 12:40 pm

No problem! Your Friendly 4E Fairy is all to happy to sprinkle 4E goodness wheresoever he goes!

...Wow, that sounded really fruity, didn't it?

Incidentally, you check out the Gnome stats on the prior page? What with you being 'The Tricky Gnome' I thought you might appreciate the tricksiness of the 4E Gnome.

Hey as long as you don't start appearing at game days dressed in green and handing out Lucky
Charms it's okay. ;)

Yeah, I saw the gnome stats. I've actually been making copies of alot of stuff you post on here about
4th Edition, primarily the races, class features, weapons & armor, ect. I already have my 4th Edition
gnome statted out, named ,and ready to go ( if I get that special card ). He will be the son of my
previous Forgotten Realms gnome called Tobias Nightshadow ( also known as the People's Champion )
who was a cleric/rogue of the god Baravar Cloakshadow. His name will be Ezekial Nightshadow and he
will be a pure rogue. I plan on making him less pious and much more of a smart ass than his father.
My other two characters I have planned for sure that do not need a special card is a Dragonborn paladin
( hopefully of Bahamut if they allow it ) named Cyndor Stormclaw or a human or teifling warlock named
Karrisia Evernight. Probably LG on the paladin and Unaligned on the warlock.

But yeah, I was amazed at how awesome the gnome is for a rogue class. If I get the card then my choice
as secondary PC is going to be VERY tough to choose from.

Signed- Rene' Alfonso << sliding back into lurker mode once more >>

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Fri May 30, 2008 1:08 pm

Hey as long as you don't start appearing at game days dressed in green and handing out Lucky
Charms it's okay. ;)

... I'm not making any promises. :7

He will be the son of my previous Forgotten Realms gnome called Tobias Nightshadow ( also known as the People's Champion ) who was a cleric/rogue of the god Baravar Cloakshadow. His name will be Ezekial Nightshadow and he will be a pure rogue. I plan on making him less pious and much more of a smart ass than his father.

Sweet. I'm thinking of doing something similar, although his ancestor will be a character I played in a homegame years back during AD&D.

My other two characters I have planned for sure that do not need a special card is a Dragonborn paladin ( hopefully of Bahamut if they allow it ) named Cyndor Stormclaw

I assume this is for LFR? If so, Bahamut is a god in the Realms. So that should cover you.

or a human or teifling warlock named Karrisia Evernight. Probably LG on the paladin and Unaligned on the warlock.

Warlocks are great. I'm thinking of making one, albeit a Tiefling Warlock. He's going to be blueskinned, and his name will be Venger. ;) Warlock, incidentally, also looks like a good combo with the Gnome. Especially the Feypact Warlock.

Needles

Postby Needles » Fri May 30, 2008 9:52 pm

I know this is asking a bit much, but do you have the weapons stats? :D

Return to “Roleplaying News”