Some new 4E stuff from the WotC website

Get up to date roleplaying news. Or post roleplaying news.

Moderator: grey

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Some new 4E stuff from the WotC website

Postby Warduke » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:25 pm

Only a scant few weeks remain until 4th Edition finally hits the shelves! We here at Wizards of the Coast couldn’t be more excited for June 6th to finally arrive (and then to participate with everyone at June 7th’s Worldwide D&D Game Day). For the past several months, we’ve introduced you to many of the concepts, philosophies, and details of 4th Edition, via D&D Insider’s columns and articles. So in the short time we have remaining, we wanted to share with you a little more, publishing excerpts from the three core rulebooks every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, leading up to 4th Edition’s release.

4th Edition Monster Manual - Excerpts: Devils of 4th Edition

4th Edition Tiers - Excerpts: Tiers of Play

Aside from putting out excerpts every monday, wednesday, and friday til release, they're also previewing new art every day. Here're the art pieces for monday, tuesday, and wednesday so far.

Monday - Cambion

Tuesday - Gibbering Orb

Wednesday - Blood Fiend

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Re: Some new 4E stuff from the WotC website

Postby Highmoon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:17 pm

Great, now we have cambions flashing gang signs!

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:28 pm

Not to mention his shirt. Think I saw people wearing shirts just like that in the early 80's. :D Come to think of it, I think I had one, too.

Highmoon
Moderately Challenged
Moderately Challenged

Postby Highmoon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:42 pm

I think I saw this guy at The Kitchen once. ;)

Needles
Slave to this message board

Postby Needles » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Quick Hit Points

Class Hit Points
Cleric (level × 5) + 7 + Constitution score
Fighter (level × 6) + 9 + Constitution score
Paladin (level × 6) + 9 + Constitution score
Ranger (level × 5) + 7 + Constitution score
Rogue (level × 5) + 7 + Constitution score
Warlock (level × 5) + 7 + Constitution score
Warlord (level × 5) + 7 + Constitution score
Wizard (level × 4) + 6 + Constitution score

I don't think you end up with as many hit points as you did in 3.x since you don't add your constitution modifier to hit points anymore. :x
There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:37 pm

Highmoon wrote:I think I saw this guy at The Kitchen once. ;)

Nah, man. He's from Michael Jackson's 'Bad' video.

I don't think you end up with as many hit points as you did in 3.x since you don't add your constitution modifier to hit points anymore.

I'm rather pleased with that, myself. Monsters also tend to do less damage, so it works out fine.

I also like how they simplified equipping higher level characters. Just give them three magic items, the first equal to your level +1, the second equal to your level, and the third equal to your level -1, and an amount of gold equal to the value of a magic item equal to your level -1. Nice and simple.

It also appears that you get, at a minimum, 17 powers. Two At-Will, four Encounter, four Daily, and seven Utility. There's more, of course (Wizards, for instance, have a selection when it comes to Daily powers. They use an equal amount, but they can vary it depending on which spells they memorize. They also have Cantrips), like class abilities, abilities gained from magic items, and such. Pretty interesting.

I'm dying to see the rules for Rituals, though. Can't wait to see exactly what they do. This article also gives us a couple names for Rituals. Like Raise Dead, Consult Oracle, View Object, Passwall, Shadow Walk, Observe Creature, and True Portal. Oh well. Not long, now.

Needles

Postby Needles » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Warduke wrote:It also appears that you get, at a minimum, 17 powers. Two At-Will, four Encounter, four Daily, and seven Utility. There's more, of course (Wizards, for instance, have a selection when it comes to Daily powers. They use an equal amount, but they can vary it depending on which spells they memorize. They also have Cantrips), like class abilities, abilities gained from magic items, and such. Pretty interesting.

Where did you get the 17 powers from? The first level characters in the DDXP convention. I don't see it in the excerpts. If you don't mind letting me know. I haven't looked at any fourth edition stuff from DDXP except the four page excerpt giving you the basics. :D

I thought the chart in rule number six told you how many powers you got at each level. For instance, you got at level 10th, three sets of powers from Encounter Powers 7, 3, 1 for a total of 11. Three sets of powers from Daily Powers 9, 5, 1 for a total of fifteen powers and, three sets op powers from Utility Powers 10, 6, 2 for a total of eighteen powers. Each set of powers increases in power as you go up in each set in each power. Utility Powers for example, the 10, is less in power than the 6, which is less in power than the 2. :D

Is it that you can choose those powers that you have in order to cast two At-Will, four Encounter, four Daily, and seven Utility powers. If is is I am confused, I thought the Wizard was supposed to acquire spells as he finds them. Not he is given the number of spells per day that he knows. I can see it working for non spell casting classes but not the casting classes. :D

First God created idiots, he was just getting started, then he created Wizards of the Coast 4e Dnd.

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:46 pm

Whoops, my misteak for not being clear. That's what you get at Level 30, not Level 1.

I thought the chart in rule number six told you how many powers you got at each level. For instance, you got at level 10th, three sets of powers from Encounter Powers 7, 3, 1 for a total of 11. Three sets of powers from Daily Powers 9, 5, 1 for a total of fifteen powers and, three sets op powers from Utility Powers 10, 6, 2 for a total of eighteen powers. Each set of powers increases in power as you go up in each set in each power. Utility Powers for example, the 10, is less in power than the 6, which is less in power than the 2.

Nope, you got that wrong. It tells you how many powers you get at each level, and what level those powers can be. For instance, "at level 10th, three sets of powers from Encounter Powers 7, 3, 1 for a total of 11". That's not what it means. What it means is you have three Encounter Powers. One of them is 7th level, one of them is 3rd level, and one of them is 1st level.

So a Level 30 character has, at a minimum, the following:

ENCOUNTER POWERS
1 Paragon Path Encounter Power
1 27th-Level Encounter Power
1 23rd-Level Encounter Power
1 17th-Level Encounter Power

DAILY POWERS
1 Paragon Path Daily Power
1 29th-Level Daily Power
1 25th-Level Daily Power
1 19th-Level Daily Power

UTILITY POWERS
1 Epic Destiny Utility Power
1 Paragon Path Utility Power
1 22nd-Level Utility Power
1 16th-Level Utility Power
1 10th-Level Utility Power
1 6th-Level Utility Power
1 2nd-Level Utility Power

And they also have two At-Will Powers, for a total of 17.

I thought the Wizard was supposed to acquire spells as he finds them.

I'm not exactly sure how Wizards work. We do know this: Most 1st-level characters have one Daily Power. The Wizard has two, but can only use one of them per day (In the specific example, the spells are Acid Arrow and Sleep. He picks which one he wants to have as a Daily Power at each Extended Rest. So essentially, the Wizard's Daily Powers work like spellcasting in previous editions. He has a limited number of spell slots, and he memorizes which spells he wants to cast for the day). So he's still as powerful as the rest of the characters, but has a bit more variety in that regard. The Wizard (as well as the Cleric and who knows who else), can also learn Rituals. Rituals are non-combat spells that can be purchased and learned like spells in prior editions. No exact idea how they work, though.

Needles

Postby Needles » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:46 pm

I see, I totally miss understood, the Wizard loses versatility in the number of chosen spells he has in 4e compared to 3.x. He can just cast a fewer number of spells per day with the exception of the at will powers, he can cast them over and over again. :D

I wonder how those at will powers work. Will they get more powerful as the Wizard increases in level, or change as he increases in levels. Getting more and more powerful as the Wizard progresses in levels as each level advances. Thanks for clarifying the rules. I got stuck in the box and thought that was the number of spell you got. :D

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:38 pm

According to the article, At Will Powers do more damage at 21st-level. Not a whole lot, though. Here're two examples of At-Will Powers from the Rogue article on the WotC site.

Deft Strike
Rogue Attack 1
A final lunge brings you into an advantageous position.

At-Will [ ] Martial, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee
or Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling.
Target: One creature
Special: You can move 2 squares before the attack.
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC

Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Dexterity modifier at 21st level.

Piercing Strike
Rogue Attack 1
A needle-sharp point slips past armor and into tender flesh.

At-Will [ ] Martial, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee
weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a light blade.
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex

Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Dexterity modifier at 21st level.

He does pretty well with his Encounter Powers, though. By 13th-level the Wizard (along with every other class) will have four Encounter Powers, as well as four Utility Powers (Some of which are Encounter Powers, while others are Daily Powers). So the Wizard (and every other class) will be able to almost completely rely on their Encounter Powers, depending on how long the combat lasts. And of course, Wizards get additional versatility above and beyond the rest of the classes in three ways:

• They have Cantrips. The 1st-level DDXP character had three Cantrips on his At Will Power list (Which was fantastic. You can cast Light, Mage Hand, and Ghost Sound all day).
  • They can learn Rituals, which give them numerous options out of combat (Clerics can apparently learn Rituals, too. I wonder if they have separate lists? Divine and Arcane Rituals?).
  • Their Daily Powers are treated like spell memorization in prior editions. They use the same amount of Daily Powers as everyone else per day, but they can choose which Daily Powers they have from their spellbook when they have an Extended Rest.

Not to mention that magic items also provide extra powers. Here're some examples of some magic items that've found their way online.

+1 FROST WARHAMMER [LEVEL 3]
This is a good weapon for a fighter to wield.
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls with weapon.
Critical: +1d6 cold damage.
Power (Encounter): Free action. Activate when you hit with this weapon. The target takes +1d10 cold damage and is slowed until the end of your next turn (Cold).

+1 STAFF OF THE WAR MAGE [LEVEL 3]
This is a perfect implement for a wizard.
Implement (Staff)
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls with implement.
Critical: +1d8 damage
Power (Daily): Free action. Activate when you use a power with a burst or blast effect. Increase the size of the burst or blast by 1.

+1 DELVER'S LEATHER ARMOR [LEVEL 3]
This armor is good for a character in light armor, such as a warlock.
Armor: Any
Enhancement: AC
Power (Encounter): Free action. Gain a +2 power bonus to a saving throw.

IRONSKIN BELT [LEVEL 5]
This belt is suitable for a character of any class.
Body Slot: Waist
Power (Encounter): Minor action. Gain resist weapons 5 until the end of your next turn.

GAUNTLETS OF OGRE POWER [LEVEL 5]
These gauntlets are good for a fighter, ranger, or paladin.
Body Slot: Hands
Property: Gain a +1 item bonus to Athletics checks and Strength ability checks (but not Strength attacks).
Power (Daily): Free action. Activate when you hit with a melee attack. Add a +5 power bonus to the damage roll.

+1 Dwarven Plate Armor (Level 2)
Enhancement: AC
Property: Gain a +1 item bonus to Endurance checks.
Power (Daily): Free Action. Regain hit points equal to your healing surge value. You don't spend a healing surge when you use this power.

+1 Cloak of Resistance (Level 2)
Body Slot: Neck
Enhancement: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will defenses
Power (Daily): Minor Action. Gain resist all 5 until the start of your next turn.

+1 Heavy Shield of Protection (Level 3)
Body Slot: Arms
Enhancement: Armor Class and Reflex defense
Power (Encounter): Standard Action. You and an adjacent ally gain resist all 5 until the end of your next turn.

Anyway, to sum up, the high-level Wizard has been nerfed, but he's apparently still got plenty of options to play with. The low-level Wizard, on the other hand, has been buffed (you'll never have to look at a crossbow, again, that's a fact). Don't know what hardcore Wizard fans will think of it, but personally I like it. Especially seeing as how now every class has numerous options to choose from. Not to mention that playing a low-level Wizard finally looks to be fun (I never got far with all the Wizard characters I played, as I ended up getting quickly frustrated with them. They'd cast a handful of spells, and then out came the crossbow. At those times, I didn't feel like a Wizard, a conjurer of arcane might. I felt like a commoner in a dress).

Warduke
Regular
Regular

Postby Warduke » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:36 am

Sweet! Not one but TWO updates right on time. Here they are.

4th Edition DMG - Excerpts: Customizing Monsters
4th Edition Monster Manual - Excerpts: Phane

The next excerpt is on monday, and it'll be from the PHB about the Warlord class. Here also are the two art previews for the last two days.

Thursday - Legion Devil, Ice Devil, Imp

Friday - Tarrasque

Return to “Roleplaying News”