Solomon Kane

Get up to date roleplaying news. Or post roleplaying news.

Moderator: grey

chainsaw_derelct
I have no life
I have no life

Solomon Kane

Postby chainsaw_derelct » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:28 pm

Coming out at the end of this month from the people that brought you Deadlands and Weird Wars:

Review:
http://www.flamesrising.com/modules.php ... ent&id=201

Background
The setting is that of Howard's Solomon Kane stories, tales that straddle the 1500s and 1600s and trace the progress of Solomon Kane, a wandering Puritan pilgrim who sets out into the world to right wrongs and to fight evil. It is a continent spanning series of adventure tales with a great deal of confrontation of cannibals, ancient horrors, dark magicians and strange, savage creatures. As with Conan Howard's dislike of civilisation comes through and Kane, while he exhibits many of the characteristics of Howard's other heroes, is a bit more cunning and less of a brute.

Naturally, being a product of its time, Solomon Kane's stories are quite horrendously racist and sexist but, quite frankly, that's part of the 'charm' and we have to make allowances for the period in which the stories were written. I don't intend to dwell on this subject too long because I don't think it is terribly worthwhile to get into a tizz over when we're talking about fantasy fiction that was a product of its time. Suffice to say if this sort of thing upsets you and you can't either adapt to the setting, or adapt the setting to your personal morality then a) get a life and b) don't buy this book until you do.

Kane's wandering span the continents and take in forgotten and forbidden places. The time period is one of colonial expansion by the European powers and the 'civilising' of the new world, of Africa and of The East. At this point in time though there are still mysteries and the edges of the map still have 'here be dragons' written upon them and this exploration and fighting of ancient evil provides rich possibilities for adventure.

While the book presents a cohesive campaign the actual stories of Solomon Kane don't particularly follow a linear narrative, though they can be placed upon a timeline. Similarly I think that the game would be better played in an episodic format with each adventure taking up a separate tale, complete in and of itself though parts could carry through to future stories. Thus I think Solomon Kane - especially given the nature of the Savage Worlds system - would be great for pick-up play, convention play or otherwise casual interludes.
New bit of aether & fluff @
The Maiden's Head

grey
King of the hill
King of the hill

Postby grey » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:01 pm

Does that mean that you can beat your wife in that setting if the stick you're beating her with is no bigger around than your thumb?
:|]
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts, Study hard be evil.
Nobody's perfect... well, there was this one guy, but we killed him.

Living City Forums
webmaster@livingcity.net aka Albert

chainsaw_derelct
I have no life
I have no life

Postby chainsaw_derelct » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:18 pm

Just something of interest for those interested in pulp and weird fiction of the early 30s.

As for beating someone's wife... I'm completely against it.
New bit of aether & fluff @
The Maiden's Head

Return to “Roleplaying News”